P182 using 3 fans only! including PSU, VGA, and CPU!

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Do you think this would work?

Yes
64%
No
27%
Who Knows
9%

Total votes: 11

DJ RA

P182 using 3 fans only! including PSU, VGA, and CPU!

Post by DJ RA » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:09 pm

This is my Idea for a super quiet p182 using noctua fans P-12's

1. make a "wind tunnel" so all air going through the CPU heatsink goes out back of case eliminating need for rear fan.

2. Make another tunnel sucking all air from graphics card out back of case as well eliminating need for another exhaust fan.

3. get rid of bottom chamber fan and seal holes around back bottom of case forcing PSU to pull air from front of case through chamber and out back of PSU.

I really have thought about this and dont see any reason for not doing it this way, to me, its just making better use of fans. all it would take is some tape and cardboard.

What do you guys think?

--Chris
Last edited by DJ RA on Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seraphyn

Post by seraphyn » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:19 pm

Depends on the parts being used of course, but yes i think it is quite possible. It'll most likey run a bit warmer then your average rig, but not to a point where it becomes damaging to your hardware.
A note though, isn't the fan on the HR03 supposed to blow down on the card? Don't know if it'll work fine this way.

DJ RA

Post by DJ RA » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:22 pm

Hoestly I dont know, Does it make the ram too hot if its not blowing on the card?

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:25 pm

The airflow design is is well designed in P18x-series. So choosing right components and right fans its very well doable.

Shaman
Friend of SPCR

Post by Shaman » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:25 pm

I think it could work.

Would you block the top blowhole?

You have air coming in through the 5.25" bays, would you use a kama bay or similar? (without fan)

Also I think that if the tunnels are well constructed so that all the hot air goes out the back and none gets leaked inside, you could get away without using the front fan. Many of us here don't use front fans, negative pressure works quite nicely.

About #3, that's something you should have done right front the start. :wink:

DJ RA

Post by DJ RA » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:38 pm

Well, I dont acutaly have a p182, I just found a pic of one on here and phoshopped it, im getting one in a month or so, and yes, I was planning on a kama bay with no fan.

Also, I wasnt planning on a fan in the top blow hole, but i figured it would be best to leave the hole open so heat can go out the top

autoboy

Post by autoboy » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:09 pm

Ram doesn't really get hot under normal conditions

Aris

Post by Aris » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:26 pm

you could do it with 2 fans honestly.

Put an HR-03 on the video card to wrap the heatsink around to the top of the card, and get a motherboard that will position the CPU tower heatsink right next to it with a ninja on it, and you can have 1 fan to cool both heatsinks.

You may need to use some sort of duct though to ensure the air from the heatsinks leaves the case, and doesnt just recirculate inside the case.

Shaman
Friend of SPCR

Post by Shaman » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:40 pm

Aris wrote:Put an HR-03 on the video card to wrap the heatsink around to the top of the card, and get a motherboard that will position the CPU tower heatsink right next to it with a ninja on it, and you can have 1 fan to cool both heatsinks.
Good suggestion, it would be best to use the top fan with that config and maybe block the back fan hole.

I see you crossed out the front fan DJ RA, it didn't add up when I counted 4 fans and the thread title said 3. :lol:

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:31 pm

I have a 1-3 fan sysem and it works, read my sig.

One case fan for the graphics card and CPU works fine for me, although I could easily scrap the fan on the Ninja itself and put the fan in the roof of the case instead.

Andy

fnwtmp

Post by fnwtmp » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:56 pm

I noticed you don't have the middle 3.5" bay installed. I found that when I installed a front fan like that (with a Nexus 120mm) where it was pressed up right against the intake grilles, it actually creates alot of turbulence noise.

If you put the 3.5" bay back in, and install the fan on the back of that (if that makes sense) then its MUCH quieter!

DJ RA

Post by DJ RA » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:43 pm

I really like the graphics card and CPU sharing the same fan idea, but wont that air be super hot going into the CPU since its already been heated up by the GPU? My main goal for the GPU duct idea is just to move the heat it generates out of the back instead of letting it heat up the rest of the case.

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:27 pm

OP, your rig is almost exactly like my main rig in my sig. Although it is a little outdated I'm sure you could use the same concept.