(Computex08) Raven by SilverStone

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Freyr

(Computex08) Raven by SilverStone

Post by Freyr » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:43 am

I thought I should post a news article another website did on a interesting case. I don't want it to get lost in the shuffle of news coming out of computex and not get a review by the fine people here are spcr, because it looks like a winner.

http://en.expreview.com/2008/06/04/comp ... iverstone/

It's power supply is on the bottom like most cases are now but the mother board is turned 90 degrees so that the ports are coming out the top.

Unless I'm missing something this would be a good case for slow fan or none, because any heat would travel upward and straight out of the case by itself.

chompy

Post by chompy » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:53 am

I've seen this new in another site and I must admit this case looks pretty interesting, juts hope spcr reviews it soon.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:10 am

Well, almost everything else has been though in cases. However I can already see problem if you have lot's of cords and you will use old monitoris with VGA connector. Connecting such connector with adapter into DVI-port, while case on table...

That case is one of the few ones that are not designed for using in desk easily. The cables will look very unclean and if you use multiple adapters... well... All the cords and cables will be visible.

Modo

Post by Modo » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:31 am

Looks like a good fit under or at the side of a desk. Somebody finally remembered that hot air goes up...

widowmaker

Post by widowmaker » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:31 am

I don't like how the cables come out of the top. The case itself looks like it was made without silencing in mind. It's hard to tell without analyzing the material it's made of, but from the images, it looks mostly plastic. The vents don't seem to do very much for sound isolation either. Parts of the design look like Silverstone just decided to settle. For example, if they wanted to make the use of convection cooling a distinct feature of this case, why did they place the psu directly below the motherboard? On top of that, the psu bay isn't segregated from the main body of the case. You'll get convection cooling allright, you'll have hot air from the psu as intake for the rest of the components. Their solution to this was to drill holes into the side of the case. A more elegant solution could have been conjured up. The top panel that covers the back of the motherboard as well as the exhaust looks pretty useless other than possessing some asthetic properties. The rear of the case where the cables normally reside is now just a bland flat surface. I think this is valuable real estate wasted.

I do however like to see the focus on convection cooling and perhaps cable management would be easier. I'm sure a tower cooler rather than a top down would do much better in this case.

The vital question still remains. Will it blend?

Freyr

Post by Freyr » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:51 am

There is the cover that goes on the top to hide the cables. It's like the cover for the P182 that hides the top fan

http://en.expreview.com/img/computex08/ ... 189sWM.jpg

Also won't the power supply bring in room air from the bottom and shoot it straight out the back...

Modo

Post by Modo » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:03 am

It looks like the PSU helps pull cool air into the lower compartment, improving airflow for the other components. This might actually work completely fanless, except for the PSU...

widowmaker

Post by widowmaker » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:31 am

On closer inspection, you can see that the lower compartment is not isolated and for a good reason.

http://www.dvhardware.net/news/silverst ... ex08_2.jpg

Here we clearly see that there are vents directly above the psu which as a result introduces heat to the other components. The reason they needed these vents is because if you look at where the side door vents are, they are actually open to the lower PSU compartment. If the lower compartment were to be sealed off, there would be no intake for the main components. What they should have done is seal off the psu compartment and move the side vents up to at least allow some direct take to the main components, but ofcourse that wouldn't look as nice. As it stands, air intake would actually be heated by the psu before being introduced to the components.

Luminair

Post by Luminair » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:20 pm

There is no reason to do that, it is not a good case.