Anyone know of a Wooden Case manufacturer?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Anyone know of a Wooden Case manufacturer?

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:34 pm

Looking for a wooden case company. I looked into making one and well, it would take me way too long to make one.

I would spend up to like $350 around on one. I do not care if it is silent as my components are already.

cordis

here's one

Post by cordis » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:22 pm

I have this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

and it's on sale too, nice! Anyway, it's a little heavy, and it could use some more ventilation (I velcored some 90mm fans behind the front air ducts), and you may want to replace the 140mm fan in the back, but it's pretty quiet for me, I have an i7 860 and a gtx 260 in it now (along with a couple tv tuners) and it manages to stay pretty quiet.

Entropism

Post by Entropism » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:32 pm

If you go to www.hardforums.com and look in the cases section, Spottswood is making them up for people. They look to be pretty damn solid and well designed, and he won a few magazine contests with his cases.

Edit: Found the link for you:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1488431

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:59 pm

hm. going to have a problem with that one hmm...

I normally have a burner and a blu-ray player. I know I can have both. But my burner is a high end plextor and my blu-ray is a sony decent one. That would be a big cash loss. Hm. says it has 1 5 1/4" bay.

hm.

nice solution though. It has two intakes I see. Yeah, I would just hot glue some fans to that. Cheap too!

hm!

Entropism

Post by Entropism » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:04 pm

His work is entirely custom, he'd have no problem making you up a double 5" bay version.

cordis

burner

Post by cordis » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:34 pm

Yeah, I started with a dvd burner in the 5 1/4" bay and moved it up to a blu-ray writer later. Since I started using my little timeline laptop, I've come to appreciate external dvd writers. If you need a cheap solution and you aren't always writing dvds, you could pick up a cheap external writer, and attach it when you need it. Or just stick it on top, there are no vents on the top of the case, so it's a nice shelf. On the other hand, if you were going to go up to $350, take the money you save on the case and buy a blu-ray writer. Plenty of options.

The only real downside to the case is that assembly can be a little tricky, it really helps to have a nice overhead light. It's also a little limited as far as heat sinks go, I started with a zalman cnps 9900 which worked fine, but was a little too noisy, so I switched it to a Noctua nh-u9, and that works great and is nice and quiet. Basically, there's a height limit, because the hard drive rack is over the motherboard. So if that's a deal breaker, well, there you go. But it is a great looking case, I have it on a bookshelf next to the TV, always looks classy. Oh, and the reason I went with velcro for the front fans is that there's some cloth stapled on the inside of the vents, and with velcro you just stick it on and you can pop them off whenever. They do hang a little loosely, so hot glue might work better. With wood you have some flexibility.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:59 pm

Entropism wrote:His work is entirely custom, he'd have no problem making you up a double 5" bay version.
anyway of getting his email?

that piece of crap forum needs a non gmail or any freemail service.

I also hate 95% of people on there.

Can you pm my email of [email protected]?

or something.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Re: burner

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:03 pm

cordis wrote:Yeah, I started with a dvd burner in the 5 1/4" bay and moved it up to a blu-ray writer later. Since I started using my little timeline laptop, I've come to appreciate external dvd writers. If you need a cheap solution and you aren't always writing dvds, you could pick up a cheap external writer, and attach it when you need it. Or just stick it on top, there are no vents on the top of the case, so it's a nice shelf. On the other hand, if you were going to go up to $350, take the money you save on the case and buy a blu-ray writer. Plenty of options.

The only real downside to the case is that assembly can be a little tricky, it really helps to have a nice overhead light. It's also a little limited as far as heat sinks go, I started with a zalman cnps 9900 which worked fine, but was a little too noisy, so I switched it to a Noctua nh-u9, and that works great and is nice and quiet. Basically, there's a height limit, because the hard drive rack is over the motherboard. So if that's a deal breaker, well, there you go. But it is a great looking case, I have it on a bookshelf next to the TV, always looks classy. Oh, and the reason I went with velcro for the front fans is that there's some cloth stapled on the inside of the vents, and with velcro you just stick it on and you can pop them off whenever. They do hang a little loosely, so hot glue might work better. With wood you have some flexibility.
Yeah. Well, the plextor is a highly specialized drive for making perfectly compatible cd rom recordings to give to music industry people. It has a lot of controls and software for it. I also use a blu-ray player. I burn 4-5x per week 1-3 cd's. I wouldnt trust a combo writer yet to fill the dual need.

Entropism

Post by Entropism » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:00 am

OK, I PMed him your email address. Hopefully he contacts you soon.

Spotswood

Post by Spotswood » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:08 pm

Hello El Jefe and SPCR, its me the crazy dude who builds PC cases out of wood.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:03 am

He has nice design ideas. Sounds really good :)

Ondo

Post by Ondo » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:33 pm

Spotswood wrote:Hello El Jefe and SPCR, its me the crazy dude who builds PC cases out of wood.
I'm interested in a custom case, as I've picked out the components I want for a computer but can't find a case I'm really happy with.

There are two main things that make existing cases larger than I'd like - I don't need space for a standard power supply, as I'm planning on using an external power brick and a Winmate DD-24AX DC-DC Module for power, and I don't want an external optical drive - the only drive will be a 2.5" SSD.

How small do you think make a case without those things? I'd still want a micro-ATX board and a full height expansion card, and a 120mm fan or two.

ces

Post by ces » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:44 pm

Spotswood wrote:Hello El Jefe and SPCR, its me the crazy dude who builds PC cases out of wood.
Can you post some images of your work on the forum?

Coastie

Post by Coastie » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:19 pm

Ondo wrote: There are two main things that make existing cases larger than I'd like - I don't need space for a standard power supply, as I'm planning on using an external power brick and a Winmate DD-24AX DC-DC Module for power, and I don't want an external optical drive - the only drive will be a 2.5" SSD.

How small do you think make a case without those things? I'd still want a micro-ATX board and a full height expansion card, and a 120mm fan or two.
M350? http://www.mini-box.com/M350-universal- ... -enclosure

Spotswood

Post by Spotswood » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:27 am

ces wrote:
Can you post some images of your work on the forum?
These aren't "silent" rigs so I'll just post'em here (with my apologies to El Jefe).

Current build (to house a watercooled EVGA Classified SR-2 motherboard rig):

Most recent build (watercooled case with a front air duct):

Some past air cooled rigs:

All scratch builds.

Tell me what you want and I can probably design and build it for you.
Last edited by Spotswood on Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:44 am

The black tower one is awesome :)

Ondo

Post by Ondo » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:40 am

Coastie wrote:
Ondo wrote: There are two main things that make existing cases larger than I'd like - I don't need space for a standard power supply, as I'm planning on using an external power brick and a Winmate DD-24AX DC-DC Module for power, and I don't want an external optical drive - the only drive will be a 2.5" SSD.

M350? http://www.mini-box.com/M350-universal- ... -enclosure
I like that case, but I'm looking for something that will fit a micro-ATX board and a video card.