LIAN LI PC-B25SB - My experiences

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

FJC

LIAN LI PC-B25SB - My experiences

Post by FJC » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:09 am

I recently built up a new gaming/general use computer, then decided to move it to one of the new Lian Li B25SB cases. I took a few pictures of some parts of the case for a friend of mine, and thought I'd drop them here as well to help out anyone that's considering this case.

Overall, I'm very happy with the case. It's not perfect (see my comments below), but I'm very happy with it. I'm running a system that's far from optimal for being silent (this is more a gaming system), and this case is keeping it very quiet. Right now, with all four (!) case fans running, it is as quiet as my previous P183 case which had only one rear exhaust fan (and the top fan disabled), while running the system quite a bit cooler. I'm sure I could easily make this case even quieter, simply by disabling some of the fans and/or replacing them with quieter ones.

On to some pictures! Again, I didn't plan on a full comprehensive review, I'm piecing this together with pictures I had previously taken. And note that most of my pictures revolved around what minor issues I had with the case.

My system:
Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P
Intel i7-870 Quad-Core
4 sticks of G.Skill Ripjaw 2GB each (8GB total)
SSD system drive, 2 7200rpm data drives
Radeon 5850 graphics card

Next to my P183. The power supply I have in the B25SB is a big Corsair 850W with a ridiculous amount of cables. If I did it over I'd pay extra for the modular cable version:

Top left corner inside the case, showing the two exhaust fans. Note that there is a switch on top of the case for High/Medium/Low fan speed - that switch controls this little PCB, which has three 3-pin connectors for fans. There is an identical PCB at the front upper corner of the case for controlling the two 120mm intake fans. Lian Li supplies a ton of molex-to-3-pin connectors as well.

Bottom of case. The PSU sucks air from here (though it is not sealed from sucking from inside the case as well).

Top button/port panel. Right-most button is power and glows a bright blue. The button next to it is the Reset button, and also doubles as the hard drive activity light. These buttons are rather easily pressed - I'm going to disable my Reset switch as I've hit it once already when using the headphone jack.

Top-down view of the drive cage with a drive installed. This shows a straight SATA cable - I felt the door would put too much pressure on the cable, so switched to cables with L-Shaped connectors for these drives.

Lian Li includes a nice cut-out in the motherboard tray, so that you can change your CPU cooler without removing it from the case. Alas, it doesn't appear to line up correctly, at least with socket 1156 boards like my Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P.

This case also features a toolless design for the PCI card slots - you just flip a lever up, install the card, then push the lever down. Little clamps then hold the card in place. Unfortunately, on my Radeon 5850 card, one of the two slots it takes up had part of a plastic shield in the way of the little clamp that holds it in place. I had to nibble away at the corner with some snips until the clamp would fit. Arrow points to the clamp/nibbled part.

Here's the beast I put in this case - a Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P with an i7-870 and 8GB of RAM. Cooler is a Megahalem with a Nexus 120mm fan strapped to it.

Case with everything installed. Note that I was unable to route the CPU power cable behind the motherboard, and was forced to just run it across the top. Not a big deal to me (there's plenty enough slack to install/remove the video card without unplugging that cable), but it looks a little messy.

That's it! Again, I'm quite happy with the case. I can *just* barely hear any fan noise at all (I have all case fans on the LOW setting), and I believe that is entirely from the stock cooler I have on the Radeon 5850 card. I've ordered an Arctic Cooling Twin Turbo Pro to put on it to silence that, then I can give a followup on overall noise. At that point I may be done, or I may decide to tweak the fans a bit.

If anyone has any questions regarding the case or specific picture requests, feel free to ask.

frost

Post by frost » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:34 pm

Very nice build :)

Its good to see someone else finding success and happiness with this case. Your PSU does have a spectacular amount of cables attached...

I'm building from the outside in, so to speak. I've got weaker system specs but have put everything into one of these and this case is a real beauty to work with in my opinion.

Here's my build: viewtopic.php?t=59779

I've been really wondering how this case will perform with a higher performance system as I do plan to upgrade eventually. You've answered my questions, and I'm even more happy with my PC-B25S :)

Cheers,
~Bri

FJC

Post by FJC » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:10 am

Thanks! Yeah, that PSU's description says it has 4 PCI-e connectors (of which my video card uses two) - but I swear it has more than that. I took the extra cables, coiled them up and zip-tied them together at the bottom of the case to keep them out of the way.

My AC Twin Turbo Pro is scheduled to arrive today. I'll take some more pictures once I get that installed on the video card, and give an update on the overall noise level then. I'm anxious to see what happens with temps with that cooler on, since it won't be pushing the video card hot air out of the rear of the case as the stock cooler currently does. However, my card runs pretty hot right now - in normal Windows 7 usage (with the AERO interface, which does utilize the card quite a bit) it runs at about 56C. It will push up to 65C in a video-intensive game such as Modern Warfare 2 or Fallout3, and that fan will speed up to very-audible levels. I think the AC cooler will help those temps quite a bit, while also making the card quieter.

Also, I currently have an SSD and two data drives in this computer. One of the data drives is used only for other computers on my network to back up to. I'm going to build a new "house server" in the near future and move that drive to it, so I'll be able to get rid of one of the drives.

speedkar9

Post by speedkar9 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:30 am

@ OP, shouldn't this be in the General Gallery forum?

@ FJC & frost, I think you should remove the internal exhaust fan grills for less air restriction.

FJC

Post by FJC » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:25 am

speedkar9 wrote:@ OP, shouldn't this be in the General Gallery forum?

@ FJC & frost, I think you should remove the internal exhaust fan grills for less air restriction.
I am the OP. :) This doesn't fall under Cases and Dampening, being a semi-review of a case?

I was eyeing those internal grills myself, especially that rear one...

frost

Post by frost » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:29 pm

Yeh, actually as I was perusing the photos (and the ones I took of my own tower), those fan grilles started to annoy. Funny, the top EXHAUST fan on my tower had a filter installed on the outside of it -- which I promptly removed. Think I'll definitely be removing my fan grilles next time I'm in there.

FJC

Post by FJC » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:41 am

Last night my Arctic Cooling Twin Turbo Pro arrived, so I dissected my Radeon 5850 card. I had done some research and expected that I'd need to remove a section of 11 of the fines for it to fit on the 5850. Those fins would need to be removed to clear one of the two DVI connectors.

To my surprise, the Twin Turbo Pro I received had fins already configured for the 5850 by the manufacturer. I rechecked, and the sticker on the outside of the package stated that the 5850 was supported!

I still needed to do some modification to the metal backplate on the stock cooler, since I wanted to use that as a big heatsink for the other chips. A little dremel work took care of that, and I reassembled it all. AC supplies a molex connector that has both a 7v and 12v option - I plugged in the 7v and fired it up.

All works fine, and this made a HUGE difference in my system sound. At 7v, the fans on that VGA cooler are nearly inaudible. Other fans/drives in my system are louder. My temps dropped considerably as well.

I also disabled the top front intake fan, just to see what difference it would make. Temps didn't seem to suffer at all, but I'll need to run the system a bit more to make sure. My computer is now nearly silent - just the slightest hum from it if I lean in very close. Playing a graphic-intensive game does not change the sound at all - the video card fans are always at the same speed, and the CPU doesn't get hot enough to ramp up the CPU fan at all.

If I get rid of that second hard drive, and possibly disable the second front intake fan, I might even get rid of that tiny hum. Again, I only hear that if I lean down to within a foot or two of the case. I can live with it happily how it is now. :)

Another option would be to try replacing one or both of the front fans with quiet Nexus fans.

JamesSneed

Fan grills

Post by JamesSneed » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:20 am

Was thinking about getting this case. When I saw the top and rear fans are shrouded I thgout to myslef I would remove the fan grills from both fans on the inside of the case to reduce turbulance noise. Dont have to worry about things like paws or fingers going into the fans from the outside of the case since both fans have those covers. Also, it sounds like the top 140mm fan has a filter and/or some kind of mesh cover that probably should be removed as well.

This may help reduce noise from the fan turbulance caused by the grills and you may be able to run the fans faster at the same noise level for better cooling if needed.

Im curious if anyone has tried this yet.