Case for EATX Board

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

DrJ

Case for EATX Board

Post by DrJ » Fri Nov 21, 2003 10:48 am

I'm looking for a case for a new computer I'm putting together. Might some of you share your opinions on reasonable condidates?

As the title indicates, the motherboard has an exended ATX form factor. The case should breathe well, be quiet, have a few front ports if possible, come with no power supply (I need an odd-ball one), and look functional and elegant (if possible). Please, no suggestions for fluorescent colors, side windows or other gamer stuff. This computer will become a server in a couple of years, so reasonable drive capacity (say, 4 to 6 internal HDD, a couple each of external 3.5 and 5.25 bays). If the silencing functionality is part of the unit, that would be great, though reading here that is not too likely.

Your suggestions are welcomed!

DrJ

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:32 am

DrJ - WELCOME TO SPCR!!!!

Dang dude, you must live right...

The Fong Kai case that Russ just reviewed sounds like it would be perfect for your needs, absolutely perfect.

DrJ

Post by DrJ » Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:53 am

Thanks for the welcome, Ralf!!

*blush* I skimmed the review but missed that it takes EATX boards. Let me read it with a bit more care now...

DrJ

DrJ

Post by DrJ » Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:47 pm

OK, I read the review in more detail. The case might work, but here's my issues with it.

First it comes with a power supply. While that seems to be the current trend, I prefer not to pay for something I'm not going to use.

Second, the internal hard drive capacity is rather limited. If I read correctly, it only has room for three, which is not really enough. I suppose eventually I could use a couple of the external bays, but RAID 5 and a system drive then becomes really tight.

On the looks, I can take it or leave it (but I've found that pictures do not really do justice -- for better and for worse -- to what one sees in the flesh). I could live with it.

I do like the design, the breathing, and its compactness (the tradeoff for limited disk capacity, I guess). It certainly is worth considering. Any other thoughts?

DrJ

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:30 am

The new SilverStone TJ06takes E-ATX. Looks like the internals are the same as this case we wrote about some months ago... http://www.silentpcreview.com/news382.html I have a sample of the TJ06 and can say it's pretty impressive. No chance to try it out yet but even the odd HDD placement doesn't seem bad, the CPU cooling channel definitely a keeper and the way the front bezel just swing is awesome. Too early too tell just how successful a quiet system will be in this case, but my early assessment is that it has very high potential. BTW, it is a steel case with an aluminum bezel. 11kg.

A great source for all things related to dual-CPU is http://www.2cpu.com/ Check http://www.2cpu.com/daedalus/article_archive.php?show=6 for a list of cases they've reviewed, which include a bunch of E-ATX compatibles.

Smitty

Post by Smitty » Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:19 pm

I am interested in this case. My question is if the mobo is installed upside down some PSU's might not have long enough leads to reach the bottom of this full tower case. Any suggestions ( I like the Enermax Noisetaker 475 and the SS Tornado 400 watt)?

pdf27
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by pdf27 » Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:30 pm

MikeC wrote:I have a sample of the TJ06 and can say it's pretty impressive. No chance to try it out yet but even the odd HDD placement doesn't seem bad, the CPU cooling channel definitely a keeper and the way the front bezel just swing is awesome
Mike, could you possibly tell me the exact distance between the bottom of the PSU and the top of the motherboard? I'm thinking about building a watercooled PC in this case and that looks like an ideal spot for a 120mm fan/rad combination. The only question is if there is enough room - going by photos I think there is probably 10mm or so to spare, but it would be nice to have someone give me an actual number...

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:21 pm

pdf27 wrote:Mike, could you possibly tell me the exact distance between the bottom of the PSU and the top of the motherboard? I'm thinking about building a watercooled PC in this case and that looks like an ideal spot for a 120mm fan/rad combination. The only question is if there is enough room - going by photos I think there is probably 10mm or so to spare, but it would be nice to have someone give me an actual number...
Presumably you are talking about the unusual HDD cage location? The cage itself is a smidge taller than a 120mm fan, and there is some space above it below the PSU -- perhaps 10cm, as you suggest. A 120mm fan would fit on that back panel -- obviously you'd have to drill out a hole for it.

So you are thinking about putting a hole on the back panel behind the HDD cage, placing the radiator on the back panel, and then a fan behind that? (Or maybe flip the order of radiator & fan?) It would probably work.

Gholam

Post by Gholam » Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:46 pm

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned CM Stacker yet. E-ATX, 120mm fans, plenty of drive bays, front ports, comes without PSU... somewhat expensive though.

gitto

Post by gitto » Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:03 am

CactusInvasion wrote: The CM stacker looks like a possibility, albeit an expensive one. (I don't need support for 5 gozillion drives or anything, just enough room for a mobo, an HD or two, and an optical drive (and a few slots out the back.)

pdf27
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by pdf27 » Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:07 am

MikeC wrote: Presumably you are talking about the unusual HDD cage location? The cage itself is a smidge taller than a 120mm fan, and there is some space above it below the PSU -- perhaps 10cm, as you suggest. A 120mm fan would fit on that back panel -- obviously you'd have to drill out a hole for it.
Yep, that's exactly the information I'm after. Thanks!
MikeC wrote:So you are thinking about putting a hole on the back panel behind the HDD cage, placing the radiator on the back panel, and then a fan behind that? (Or maybe flip the order of radiator & fan?) It would probably work.
The idea is to cut a 120mm hole in the back panel and mount the fan to the inside of that (probably a Sunon 120mm AC fan - there's a discussion on that elsewhere). The rad/shroud would then be attached directly to the case not touching the fan (seals around the fan touching the case) to get rid of the possibility of the shroud resonating. The whole unit should fit where the HDD cage is now once it's been removed, while the HDDs would be mounted on elastic just inside the front air inlet to the case.
The only disadvantage is that this would require either modifying the mounting bracket to move the PSU further into the case (or swap PSU/HDD cage locations) to allow a 120mm one, or the use of either an 80mm or passive PSU. It looks like potentially a very neat way of mounting the rad so that it doesn't go outside the case and doesn't increase the case temps.