Tool of the week

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Jim Byram
*Lifetime Patron*

Tool of the week

Post by Jim Byram » Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:34 am

Problem: How do you hand drill a fan mounting hole to a larger size and retain the centering?

Solution: http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/VIS-1.html

Part of the description is wrong. Should be something like:
Drills 13 holes: 1/16" to 1/2" in 1/32" steps

Absolutely amazing device. You drill carefully one stage at a time. The design maintains perfect centering. DeWalt makes some centering bits called 'Pilot Point' but using one of those can't compare to using this Unibit bit.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:39 am

That there looks pretty slick, but you'll have to make sure that you don't over drill and make the hole too big. :wink:

Jim Byram
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Jim Byram » Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:25 am

sthayashi wrote:That there looks pretty slick, but you'll have to make sure that you don't over drill and make the hole too big. :wink:
I was concerned about that but the drilling turned out to be very easy to control. The next step can be used gently to deburr the outside and the inside after some cleaning.

What's a good solution for hand deburring... particularly for small holes where you don't have access for the drill? I also got a tool catalog last night with an electric drill designed for tight places. It is too expensive however.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:05 pm

What's wrong with just using a regular drill bit of the size you need? It's usually not too much bigger than the existing hole size so it's pretty easy to keep the original hole's centerline. If you're going up in too big of a step, just drill an intermediate sized hole first.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:29 pm

Jim Byram wrote:What's a good solution for hand deburring... particularly for small holes where you don't have access for the drill? I also got a tool catalog last night with an electric drill designed for tight places. It is too expensive however.
I've worked with one of these at the machine shop that I sometimes go to for work-related business. It'll probably work well enough for your needs too.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:31 pm

sthayashi wrote:
Jim Byram wrote:What's a good solution for hand deburring... particularly for small holes where you don't have access for the drill? I also got a tool catalog last night with an electric drill designed for tight places. It is too expensive however.
I've worked with one of these at the machine shop that I sometimes go to for work-related business. It'll probably work well enough for your needs too.
Yeah, these type of deburring tools are 'da bomb. I've been using them at work for years. They're easy to use and do a very good job.

Jim Byram
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Jim Byram » Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:39 pm

Ralf wrote:What's wrong with just using a regular drill bit of the size you need? It's usually not too much bigger than the existing hole size so it's pretty easy to keep the original hole's centerline. If you're going up in too big of a step, just drill an intermediate sized hole first.
I've done what you're suggesting (the standard method) many times over the years. The beauty of this bit is all of those intermediate steps just flow one after another. It's like cutting butter to go from 1/16" to 11/32" in 1/32" increments one after another. All I can say is to try the tool. You'll be amazed.

fmah
Friend of SPCR

Post by fmah » Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:00 pm

This is pretty useful if you are using a handheld battery drill since it should require less torque, and you don't have to switch bits.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:10 pm

Stepped drills are standard equipment for nearly anyone who does sheet metal work...and now you know why. :lol:

One easy solution for de-burring holes is to use a bigger bit, just hand-held and twisted in the hole. For most situations it works pretty well, and since you already have the tool, it's free.