Fan grill jaggies - removal NECESSARY or is it just "pr

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

shathal

Fan grill jaggies - removal NECESSARY or is it just "pr

Post by shathal » Thu May 13, 2004 10:22 am

Heya,

having used the nifty WISS Tin Snips, I've "freed" the front and rear intake of my AccoustiCase 6607, as the grills were pretty restrictive, ending up with jagged parts to a degree, as is normal.

Now, after some filing (no Dremel), I thought "sod this for a laugh..." and tried fitting my edging moulding, I finally DID get it to fit (took a little bit of patience, but it worked).

Runnign my fingers on the inside, I can feel the uneveness of it, but it's all "safe" as far as fingers are concerned.

So - should I really remove the edging again, and file it all down? Or is there a reason why I shouldn't go for a "slightly" messy solution (I don't fancy spending an hour grinding away with a file...) :).

Incidentally, I'm intending to leave the front-intake grill-less (since it's behind the bezel + filter anyway), and am contemplating the same on the rear venting hole, as fitting a grill would involve my having to get creative due to certain factors...

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Thu May 13, 2004 11:17 am

Nope. My desire for a clean hole is the only reason that I'M going to be grinding down my jaggies.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu May 13, 2004 11:46 am

It's strictly up to you. It'll be 100% perfectly functional the way it is, but you'll have to live with how it looks. If it was me, I'd clean it up.

Keep in mind, this is written by the guy who spent 2-3 hours cleaning up the wiring for a reveiw sample, only to dismantle it a few weeks later. :roll:

POLIST8
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by POLIST8 » Thu May 13, 2004 11:56 am

Duct Tape!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I'm lazy - but it works.

shathal

Post by shathal » Thu May 13, 2004 12:32 pm

I did have PVC Electrical insulation tape at hand, but looking at the jagged edges, that'd have taken copious amounts. Also, something like £ 1.50 or so, for 1 m of the stuff (ca. 3 feet), is pretty cheep. I bought 2 metres, just in case, and have 1.3 metres spare at the moment - plenty for future projects then.

OK - so I can remain lazy on that part then - good :). Will wait on having the system set up, before deciding whether to grill-up the rear outtake hole or not

So thanks.

P.S.: yes, Ralph, I did read that comment of your on the review, and was wondering if I'd bother with that time. If it's wiring (and thus affecting airflow - possibly). But this'll work "just fine", so I'm minimal :).

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Thu May 13, 2004 12:40 pm

If only people knew what kind of insanity we go through when we do reviews, huh Ralf? :?

-Ed

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri May 14, 2004 4:35 am

Edward Ng wrote:If only people knew what kind of insanity we go through when we do reviews, huh Ralf? :?

-Ed
Darn straight! But when you're relaxing in the SPCR suite on top of the Monte Carlo Hilton with a couple of the scantily clad SPCR bimbos bringing you ice cold Margaritas you forget all about the demanding work as a reviewer. It's these sort of perks that make it all worthwhile.

chylld

Post by chylld » Fri May 14, 2004 5:04 am

SPCR bimbos! that's what we're missing.

or maybe we're just not being loud enough to get their attention... (heh, geddit?? heheh)

back on topic, i only half-arsedly cut out the fan grills on my BQE so the edges are indeed very very jaggy but with the 'molding' i'm using (slit poly tubing) it doesn't seem to matter too much.

as for the rear grill, i left mine off. only accidentally stuck my hand in their 2 or 3 times, it's not too bad. as long as it's not spinning too fast :)

loren_brothers
Location: Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, WA, USA....Just West of B.F.Egypt

Post by loren_brothers » Fri May 14, 2004 9:00 pm

Ralf Hutter wrote:Darn straight! But when you're relaxing in the SPCR suite on top of the Monte Carlo Hilton with a couple of the scantily clad SPCR bimbos bringing you ice cold Margaritas you forget all about the demanding work as a reviewer. It's these sort of perks that make it all worthwhile.
Send me a postcard there Ralf! I need a vacation also!

LOL

hyperslug
Patron of SPCR

Post by hyperslug » Sun May 16, 2004 6:53 pm

I left the fan edges of my BQE jagged 5 months ago. I forgot about it recently and sliced my thumb trying to open my case. In 5 more months, it's likely I'll forget and reslice my thumb.

It's worth filing it down. I plan to soon.