Need to repaint plastic bezel: What paint / vinyl dye in UK

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

davidstone28

Need to repaint plastic bezel: What paint / vinyl dye in UK

Post by davidstone28 » Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:34 am

I would like to repaint my bezel fascia from cream to black to match the rest of my case.

However, I am not sure what type of vinyl dye / paint to buy and where to buy it from in the UK. Apparently, metal / wood spray paint doesn't work very well and you need a plastic paint / vinyl dye with a primer.

Could someone give me some specific product names / places to buy from in the UK?

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:46 am

I removed the faceplates of a CD-ROM and diskette drive and painted them black with Krylon Decorator Spray Paint. It worked extremely well. I am sure other similar paints would also work well, but that is just what I happened to have available.

If your bezel is vinyl instead of hard plastic, then it I don't know if it will work on that material.

starsky
Friend of SPCR

Post by starsky » Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:46 pm

I think that Vinyl Dye is far superior to spray as it soaks into the plastic and then goes hard and doesn't flake.

I can't help you with a URL for the UK, but I used VHT Vinyl Dye. I couldn't buy this stuff online anywhere in Australia, so I expect it will be similar in the UK.

I did however find it VERY easily at Repco and Autobarn (which sell everything for cars, inside and out).

So in the UK, just go to an auto shop and ask for a spray can of stuff you can use to dye your vinyl.

If you want to see how I did it...http://www.bluecouch.com.au/reviews/blackpc/black.asp