AcoustiCase C6607 with or without fans?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

jimdrake

AcoustiCase C6607 with or without fans?

Post by jimdrake » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:47 pm

i am planning on fitting the following system into said case:

Asus P4P800 Deluxe or P4C800E Deluxe
Intel Pentium 4 "Northwood" 2.8GHz (800FSB)
Corsair 1GB DDR XMS3200C2PT TwinX
Zalman CNPS7000A-AlCu Ultra-Quiet CPU Cooler
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 Serial ATA 80GB
Plextor PlexWriter Premium 52x/32x/52x CD-ReWriter
Nexus NX-3000
Asus ATI Radeon 9200SE/T 64MB

plus another hdd (cuda IV), sound card (2x pci slots), modem and maybe a wi-fi card.

the case is supplied without case fans, does that imply that most systems will be ok with only fans on cpu and psu? or should i get fans? if so what are the quietest fans you can get to fit in this case?

cheers, james

Katana Man
Patron of SPCR

Post by Katana Man » Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:14 pm

Yes, you should get at least one, if not two 120mm fans. Since you've dedicated some funds for a nice machine and case, I'd suggest to do the same and not skimp on quality fans. I'd recommend two Papst 4412 120mm fans, and run them around 5-6 volts. Check out my signature link to see a similar setup.

jimdrake

Post by jimdrake » Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:17 am

cheers. you say to run the fans at a specific voltage, is this done using those in-line fan-controllers? if so do the fans you mention include one? the fans sold at quietpc.com, made by acousti, include a fan controller and rubber mounting bits.

also, in your article you point out that the fan mounting holes in your case are not standard and you had to cut them out. do you know if this is the case with the acousti case? on the acousti site they recommend their own fans (of course) to go with the case, so i assume they fit

cheers, james

acousti1
-- Vendor --

Post by acousti1 » Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:46 am

The AC C6607 case uses 'hold-fast' clip fan brackets for the 2 internal 120mm fans. These clamps will fit all 120x25mm fan models. For most users this is not an issue, as long you install low-vibration and quiet fans - there are plenty available!

However, if you'd like to mount your fans using some kind of fan mounts or gaskets, then you will indeed have to remove the clamp brackets with this case and do some modification as James has done so nicely. If you remove the fan clamp bracket, the holes in the case are a non-standard size, and you will have to use fan mounts.

Nebor

Post by Nebor » Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:14 am

My acousticase 6607 will be here on tuesday, and I ordered an Acoustifan 120mm with it.. $25, ouch.

Anyways, I've always considered the little plastic fan brackets to be a source of vibration noise in my current antec 1080 case w/ panaflo l1as @ 5v. How exactly do I mount the rear fan in a decoupled fashion? I have plenty of sorbothane at my disposal.

jimdrake

Post by jimdrake » Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:32 am

acousti1 wrote:The AC C6607 case uses 'hold-fast' clip fan brackets for the 2 internal 120mm fans. These clamps will fit all 120x25mm fan models. For most users this is not an issue, as long you install low-vibration and quiet fans - there are plenty available!

However, if you'd like to mount your fans using some kind of fan mounts or gaskets, then you will indeed have to remove the clamp brackets with this case and do some modification as James has done so nicely. If you remove the fan clamp bracket, the holes in the case are a non-standard size, and you will have to use fan mounts.
i assume you work for acousti, because of your username and web address. it's nice to see some manufacturer representatives browsing the forums :D

you sell your acoustifans with the mounting gromets included, so why not make your cases support that mounting method? i may be wrong, but i think it is generally accepted that the gromet mounting method is better than the plastic clips.

also, have you tested systems using no case fans? what's your recommendation on this?

also, i think i remember reading that the Papst fans may be more reliable then the acousti ones. any more ideas on this?

cheers, james

jimdrake

Post by jimdrake » Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:01 am

just another thought. i was originally thinking about fans generally, but what about number of fans? should it be ok, for example, with only a rear fan, and not an intake one? or other combinations...

cheers, james

Unseaming Chris

Post by Unseaming Chris » Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:49 am

There has been some discussion about acoustifan's reliability. It uses a sleeve bearing and so is only rated for at most 3 years 24/7 (prob much less). Was looking at pabst, but with their tendency to click at low voltages I've settled on the aluminium evercool, which has got good reviews at low voltages. Just need to find one now.

BTW I'm paraphrasing http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=10680

acousti1
-- Vendor --

Post by acousti1 » Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:58 am

jimdrake wrote:i assume you work for acousti, because of your username and web address. it's nice to see some manufacturer representatives browsing the forums :D

you sell your acoustifans with the mounting gromets included, so why not make your cases support that mounting method? i may be wrong, but i think it is generally accepted that the gromet mounting method is better than the plastic clips.

also, have you tested systems using no case fans? what's your recommendation on this?

also, i think i remember reading that the Papst fans may be more reliable then the acousti ones. any more ideas on this?

cheers, james
Yes, I work for Acousti Products :)

When the AC C6607 was designed mounting grommets were not available. Our next series of cases will support them, or other antivibration fan mounting solutions. Things are improving with time!

We have tested our cases and systems with and without case fans, and we personally prefer to use the least number of fans possible - and use a lined case to absorb the majority of internal noise. A case with both good inlet and outlet vents, and a good PSU fan output airflow will (in the majority of systems) run cool with a single slow speed intake case fan.

However, we cannot promote a 'blanket' answer/solution as a compnay because people may take out necessary fans and suffer system failures as a consequence. All we can do is our best to educate people to monitor system temps and design a quiet cooling solution as carefully as possible themselves based on their system set up and the number of heat-generating components they have.

Yes, our AcoustiFan range use sleve bearings that have an approx. 3 years life expectency at 24/7. These are quiet fans, but not the longest living. Again, people will have to decide what they require once they have the details.

It is worth perhaps considering that not all systems are on for 24/7, and not all fans are run at full speed. Also, the location of a fan will change the amount of stress it is under and internal conditions can vary inside a case (good example: dust) - so careful fan location and minimising internal dust can help to promote life expectancy beyond the stated specifications.

Cheers, Jeremy

jimdrake

Post by jimdrake » Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:51 am

However, we cannot promote a 'blanket' answer/solution as a compnay because people may take out necessary fans and suffer system failures as a consequence.
i understand this, and it's why i posted my full spec in my first post :D
Our next series of cases will support them, or other antivibration fan mounting solutions. Things are improving with time!
how much time are we talking?
A case with both good inlet and outlet vents, and a good PSU fan output airflow will (in the majority of systems) run cool with a single slow speed intake case fan.
if your running a system with one case fan, is there any difference if you use this as an intake or exhaust?

cheers, james

acousti1
-- Vendor --

Post by acousti1 » Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:16 pm

jimdrake wrote:how much time are we talking?
We are in the process of designing several new cases at the moment, but we can't give a time of release because sometimes things go smootly and quickly, and other times they seem to take ages. We'd rather not rush things and get the better results if possible. We will post news to our website Products>Future Products page :)
jimdrake wrote:if your running a system with a single case fan, is there any difference if you use this as an intake or exhaust?
Yes, intake will provide positive air pressure inside the case, and exhaust will give negative. So with intake fan, you would expect air to exit from all available voids, and visa versa.

If you set up a push-pull effect, you can 'assist' other fans in the system (e.g. an intake on your system above and just the PSU fan for exhaust will help to aid airflow through the PSU). BUT if you put fans working in parallel then this will most likely give maximum airflow, but also maximises fan stress.

Detailed measurements would be really interesting - because chaotic airflow and other losses are likely to play a role - so fluid dymanics come into play and things may not (in fact) follow simple rules. :?

Try one fan to start with, and then only go for two if you're not happy with the temps. I personally would expect to see reasonable case temps with your system with a single 120mm fan on intake and just the PSU for exhaust (and leave the other rear air vent as it is to passively exhaust perhaps).