New Case: SilverStone SST-TJ05

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

ZeroAquaduct

New Case: SilverStone SST-TJ05

Post by ZeroAquaduct » Mon May 24, 2004 11:33 am

I noticed nobody mentioned about this case: the SilverStone SST-TJ05.

http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-tj05b.htm

It looks like a case with excellent quiet potential, with 120mm both front and back. And it looks very nice! It has that Wave Master look, but this one doesn't have that little slab of aluminum at the front. ;)

Anyone seen one in person yet?

Sooty

Post by Sooty » Mon May 24, 2004 3:41 pm

Welcome to SPCR!

So you don’t think the centre alu slab resembles that of the Wavemaster? I believe there’s an even stronger relationship between those two cases. They are both designed by the very same people. The Cooler Master WaveMaster was designed for CM by a company called ATCS. ATCS went belly up some time back. That’s why a lot of ATCS designed cases disappeared from the Cooler Master line up (although mostly reinstated in their line up now). I’ve discovered, nearly all of ATCS’ employees went to work for Silverstone. I don’t know the precise relationship between CM and Silverstone, but go check out a few CM web pages and see if you can’t see a similarity in design / layout of the pages.

ZeroAquaduct

Post by ZeroAquaduct » Mon May 24, 2004 7:25 pm

Thanks for the welcome!

Oh, I was referring to the "tombstone" piece on the Wave Master (the piece that covers the front fan holes). ;)

I'm definately interested in this SilverStone case. It has both of the features that I'm looking for: excellent quiet potential and lots of room for HDs.

geneH

Post by geneH » Tue May 25, 2004 10:22 am

Now available (as of Monday) at sundialmicro.com .
Sundial has more info than available at the Silverstone site,
but still doesn't show how air gets to the front intake fan.
I would like to see a review but none seems to have
surfaced so far.

Gene H

ZeroAquaduct

Post by ZeroAquaduct » Sat Jul 24, 2004 10:42 pm

I guess I should update this thread since a review of this case has finally surfaced. Unfortunately, it's by a German site, so it's in German. However, I used Google's language tool and the translations work out to be pretty understandable.

Based on the information from the article, it looks like air flow might be an issue with this case. It only has a few slots in the front for air, which makes it even worst than Cooler Master's Wave Master.

Also, it looks like it uses drive rails for the HDs. Has anyone seen this case in person? If I purchase this case, I would like to use EAR grommets, but from the pictures, it doesn't look like the HD cage is compatible.

Here's the link to the article:

http://www.alltests.de/hardware/reviews ... tj05_1.php

Here's the link to a picture of the HD cage:

http://www.alltests.de/hardware/reviews ... aefig1.jpg

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:19 pm

Ah, don't bother. Ralf Hutter got a sample and contacted me after to discuss it. We decided to send it back because we'd only end up panning the thing anyway. Waste of time to do a review. Needs serious modding to get acceptable airflow. Not a contender because of this big flaw.

Ask him yourself, he's had his hands & eyes on the thing.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:12 am

MikeC wrote:Ah, don't bother. Ralf Hutter got a sample and contacted me after to discuss it. We decided to send it back because we'd only end up panning the thing anyway. Waste of time to do a review. Needs serious modding to get acceptable airflow. Not a contender because of this big flaw.

ZeroAquaduct - Mike's right. You've got PM.

ZeroAquaduct

Post by ZeroAquaduct » Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:43 am

Thanks for the replies. Oh well, I guess I'm back in the search for a quiet case with a futuristic look. And I waited for so long for the SST-TJ05... darn. :(

mpteach

Post by mpteach » Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:03 am

Ralph, Would Airflow be a problem in this case if my cpu and gpu were reserator cooled?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:37 am

mpteach wrote:Ralph, Would Airflow be a problem in this case if my cpu and gpu were reserator cooled?
Well, perhaps not, depending on how many other heat sorces (multiple HDD's etc) you plan on having in the case.

The case is still pretty expensive for what you get ($150, IIRC). It's a big steel case, poorly vented with odd vents cut into both doors and crappy airflow around the HDD cage. It has an interesting thermally activated built-in fan control thingy built into the aluminum bezel but even this would probably be relitively useless given the poor airflow through the case.

mpteach

Post by mpteach » Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:33 pm

IMHO, its the nicest looking case out there expecially with a reserator. I think im going to stay with my current case for now.

However i will change my mind if a nice looking case with good airflow come out, or someone buys this case and sells it on ebay for dirt cheap when they realized the poor airflow.

cerev1

Post by cerev1 » Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:05 am

MikeC wrote:Ah, don't bother. Ralf Hutter got a sample and contacted me after to discuss it. We decided to send it back because we'd only end up panning the thing anyway. Waste of time to do a review. Needs serious modding to get acceptable airflow. Not a contender because of this big flaw.

Waste of time to do a review?

Take a look at:

http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling/sh ... i=2180&p=1

This case does cool quite well. It may be a little loud (45db), but the excellent cooling suggests that there is a lot of room to work with as far as undervolting fans. If you want to water cool, this case would be ideal. It has a lot of space.

Why did you have such an issue with air flow? Did you run a system that ran hotter?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:36 am

It may be a little loud (45db),
Uh, if that's an acceptable noise level, ANY case will do and there would be no point to SPCR doing ANY case reviews at all.

Our definition of quiet is max 30 dBA/1meter. Assuming that 45 dB is A-weighted and 1 meter (which it may not be; it could have been measured closer; most review sites don't have sound level meters sensitive enough to measure better than 30 dBA)... it's about 3 times louder than our minimum standard.

Even with WC, unless the radiator is well away from the case, you still need good airflow through the case to ensure decent cooling.

As for the details of the vents/airflow problems in this case, you'll find at least one thread that covers this thoroughly.

josephclemente

Post by josephclemente » Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:27 pm

I wouldn't be satisfied with any case without my own quieting mods.

I say if you like the looks of the case and it will accept your favorite quieting/cooling strategy, then go for it. I did that with the Wave Master, and I love both the way it sounds (is it on?) and cools.

But I understand from a review standpoint how some cases are useless out of the box. To me, every case is useless out of the box.

mpteach

Post by mpteach » Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:44 pm

Does the aluminum door in front resonate or rattle sympathetically when the door is open or closed?

Also if i were to buy one of these, how could i remove the black silverstone logo in front? Its the only thing ruining the look of the case.

silverback

Post by silverback » Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:11 pm

Wow what the heck did they do to the inside. The entire inside is counter productive. you have this intake fan that is blocked with a drive cage that is sideways like the sonata only much worse because the airflow is totally cut off. They obviously knew this was a design flaw ahead of time because despite the fact the drive cage is directly in front of the intake fan they added a second fan inside the drive cage itself because no air could get through.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:08 am

silverback wrote:Wow what the heck did they do to the inside. The entire inside is counter productive. you have this intake fan that is blocked with a drive cage that is sideways like the sonata only much worse because the airflow is totally cut off. They obviously knew this was a design flaw ahead of time because despite the fact the drive cage is directly in front of the intake fan they added a second fan inside the drive cage itself because no air could get through.
Exactly my observation as well. This case is completely inappropriate for building a quiet system unless the owner is prepared to mod the heck out of it.