Drive Bay Mod

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Agent420

Drive Bay Mod

Post by Agent420 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:28 am

I have an Antec SLK3700-BQE case. I find the front plastic grill and fan mount very lame and the harddrive bay very restrictive to air. I mounted a SilenX 120mm 11dba fan with the resistor provided since I cant get any fan controller to turn that fan down any further. I added an Acoustifan Variable speed 120mm fan with SilenX rubber mounts and SilenX resistor tied to the cage on the outside blowing air towards the exhaust fan. The rubber mounts press againt the cage and theres no vibration. The resistor provided with the SilenX 120mm 11dba fan drops the rpm and dba of the acoustifan down further than the fanmate,so Im using that for now.
Result has reduced the noise since I had the intake fan spinning faster before I added the second drive cage fan. There is much more air flowing in the case,in fact theres enough air being moved now from the front that I can feel the air being pushed out of the case without a rear fan.
I havent taken temps since Im going to try and undervolt even further somehow and I dont have any pics,Im not into taking pics since I dont have a cam,but use your imagintation. Its looks pretty cool,the fan fits perfectly on the cage.
Last edited by Agent420 on Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stupid boy

Post by Stupid boy » Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:08 am

Ahh...I never thought about using SilenX mounts on other fans.

Could you compare the noise of the Acoustifan and the SilenX fan?

And could you compare the performance of the SilenX mounts to EAR isolators?

Agent420

drive bay mod

Post by Agent420 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:34 am

SilenX doesnt move much air. I have fans rated at 37cfm that obviously push more than a 40cfm SilenX fan. The nexus 120mm is silent but doesnt move as much air. With the Acoustifan theres more motor noise even when undervolted. However you can take the resistor of the SIlenX 120mm fans and suck the harddrives and processor right out of the case. When removing the resistor it sounds similar to a vaccume and can move some serious air.
I own Panaflo M and L 80 and 92mm fans. The SilenX 120mm and 80mm Thermistor fan dont have nearly as much motor noise, though they dont move as much air. The 80mm SilenX fan I have that isnt the thermistor fan makes alot of motor noise. Musta been a bad batch,I dunno. Their power supplies suck. I own a Papst 80mm 8412 NGMLV thats absolutly silent,but moves nowhere near its spec cfm,then I own a Papst 92mm 32cfm fan thats ridiculously loud.
The SilenX 92mm fans seem to cool my 3.2ghz P4 in my Asus P4C800E DLX just as well as the Panaflo 92mm M1. Again,it only moves about half the air but at some point the panaflo is just moving hot air around quicker than a slower fan. With the Panaflo at full blast,and on Qfan when its undervolted the MB reads about the same cpu temps. The SilenX is usually 1C warmmer. The SilenX 92mm fan makes an annoying click sound however, I dont think the Panaflo M 92mm clicks as loud when undervolted. At full Blast the M1 is a nightmare however.
I do have the Vantec rubber fan mounts,I decided not to use them as it doesnt decouple the fan as well. I believe the EAR type mounts isolate better because they break up the point of contact better. I dont think the solid pad will perform as well (if anyone could hear anything different between the 2)because its entire surface is making contact with the fan and the case where as only the corners will make contact with the mounts. I never used any other mounts like the silenX,but the rubber mounts that come with the Acoustifan arent very good. I tried using those as a softer mount for my harddrives,they didnt do a good job of that either.
So far temps with the new fan installed are down 4C. The air use to stay in one place and it felt very warm inside the case. Now the air just moves through and the components feel much cooler. I feel much more air being moved up to the PSU aswell.
By the way... I just got a Seasonic Super Silencer 460W PSU from ExcaliburPC and it was a rev3 V1 and it sucked. Seasonic is handling my RMA and sending me the latest Rev3 V2.

Agent420

460W SS Rev3 V2 update

Post by Agent420 » Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:45 pm

Put in the SS 460W rev3 V2 and it hasnt kicked up for 20minutes under prime95,yet the CPU temp has gone up from 116F to 132F under load. The stock fan is alot louder on start up than my Antec PSU. I dont think Im happy with it even though it hasnt kicked up the fan. Thats a big jump in temp and I gota swap fans. The adaptors are also super bulky.