Just PC Gazelle Case?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

killerfish

Just PC Gazelle Case?

Post by killerfish » Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:13 am

Hello SPCR Experts!

I stumbled across this case and wondered if any has every heard of it or had experiences with it...

http://www.justpcusa.com/g-ga899wh.htm

It's a nice looking class with stealthed drives, tooless design etc.. The front intake looks horrible/non-existant, but it also has a bottom intake for a 120MM fan which may be ok.. Rear exhaust is 80mm... Comes with a 450wt PSU that's probably a junker to be replaced.

Directron carries them for $79 under the Directron brand name and is available under a bunch of color schemes.

Thanks,
KF

markjia

Post by markjia » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:59 am

I couldn't help but notice that there are quite a few remarkable similarities btw thise case and the old B&W / Graphite G3/G4 macs...

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:06 pm

Ventilation? Who needs ventilation, that's for girly men. :)

killerfish

Post by killerfish » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:21 pm

Very true, it's mac like... I know this forum is very heavily slanted toward functional vs. form, but I'd like a little of both... ;)

I believe the PSU is a re-badged Channel Well... Net, with a quiet 120MM bottom intake and a quiet 80MM exhaust, this may be fairly quiet and look nice.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:29 pm

To me it has the look of a shuttle-type SFF stretched 3x the height. :lol:

I think I'd take a quiet Shuttle or AOpen barebones SFF over this case in stock form. The intake is seriously compromised; you'd have to not only get rid of all the grills but also raise the case by at least another 1~2 cm. To really mod it for good performance, you'd want to add another 80mm exhaust in back. At least if you're talking about most of today's CPUs & VGAs.

killerfish

Post by killerfish » Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:41 pm

Thanks guys.. Sounds like a dud.. Why is it so hard to design a nice looking,quiet case that also has good 'flow'...

I did find 1 review that actually gives it a favorable score in terms of temperatures and ventilation...but, no real specifics....

Here's the link: http://www.thecrucible.ca/reviews/justpc899/

Thanks!
KF

jimveta

Post by jimveta » Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:52 am

just wanted to reinforce the "dud" opinion--very much so. i've checked it out at a local fry's and both the intake and exhaust looks more seriously constricted than the pictures show. they're arranged in a baffled form i.e. the openings of plastic line up with the mesh of metal underneath.

another problem i have is that the bottom of the hd cage isn't open so some of the bottom intake airflow is going to waste. and the one ridculous trend i've noticed that i still can't belive case makers do: the front (NOT bottom) 80mm intake fan has no intake opening!! :?:

.. but i suppose some case modding would solve those problems though.. however, considering how much it costs, i don't think it's worth it

killerfish

Post by killerfish » Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:48 am

Glad to hear a first hand account. I agree, it does seem simply amazing that a case designer would implement a front case fan, but not include any intake opening....

Although more expensive, I may just go and build a 'reference' spcr system with Fong Kai FK333, Seasonice Super tornado 300, and some panaflos... I know I can do an Antec BQE, but I just love the chassis and openess of the Fong Kai...

BTW< HP's Personal Workstations use the same chassis design as the Fong Kai's... Net, they only changed the face plate. We have a few at work and they're very neat/tidy machines. For once, I'm actually impressed by a HP..

Thanks
KF

killerfish

Post by killerfish » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:05 am

In case anyone is interested, I emailed JustPC when I posted this thread. I just got a response. Not exactly re-assuring, but here it is:

----------------------
The Gazelle case can handle 3 fans , ( optional ) 2 intake - 8cm (front), 12cm (bottom), Outake: 8cm rear fan ( included),
the bottom panel of the case has 4 feet plus it has some puched-out holes for cool air to go inside the case.

The case has passed AMD's thermal test with one fan therefore if you are really concerned the quietness, you can pay more for a better case fan.

http://www.mm-edirect.com/

MARY WONG
JUST PC (USA), INC.
(909) 390.7676
(626) 628.3167 FAX
www.justpcusa.com
------------------------------------

greeef

Post by greeef » Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:26 pm

oh come on! It's got a colourful box! what could possibly be better?

I've personally placed an order for a million, such pretty colours (on the box, not the case...)