Second HDD and a whole lot of heat

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

msm_zgok

Second HDD and a whole lot of heat

Post by msm_zgok » Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:00 pm

Yesterday I bought a Seagate 7200.7 160GB for $110.00 w/ $50 rebate. Installed it on the removable HDD cage in my 4252 along with the WD Caviar 80GB. Fired the system on and the temps were hovering above the 41°C mark, with load temps of 46°C; my CPU only does 38°C idle and 46°C load.

First thing that came to my mind was to seperate both the drives. So I did by suspending the Seagate at the bottom of my case. Made a little wooden cage with some elastic strap. Placed the thing over 1/2" thick foam. Well, the temps did improve somewhat, 32-36°C for the WD but 41°C idle for the Seagate (lazy to test load).

I'm only running the system with a Nexus 120mm for exhaust (ST fan never ramps up at all). Somehow, the Seagate is putting out a lot of heat even though it sits in behind the intake. The suspension is a simple X to hold the 7200.7 up and one strap along the front and back sides to prevent the drive from sliding off. Nothing over the top. I'll try to get a picture when I do find the camera.

What do you guys recommend? Undervolted intake? Fan behind the HDDs? Bad suspension technique? Seagate runs hot naturally?

EDIT: Anyone know how to remove the front bezel of the 4252?

rtsai

Post by rtsai » Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:42 am

I am suspecting that the Seagate runs a little hotter than other drives. In one machine that sits on the floor (Dell Dimension Optiplex GX1 running Linux), I've tried various things with its Samsung SP1614N:

- Suspended in 5.25" bay with sewing elastic; 29-31C
- Sitting on foam at bottom of case, 5V fan: 25-27C
- Sitting on foam at bottom of case, 7V fan: 16-18C

In another machine (Dell Dimension 8300 running Windows) I have a Seagate ST3120026AS. Unfortunately, this is an unscientific comparison; this case sits on my desk, and is not as well-ventilated as the first case:

- Stock 3.5" bay on rails: 39-41C
- Sitting on foam at bottom of case, no fan: 45-48C !!
- Sitting on foam at bottom of case, 7V fan: 37-39C

All reported temperatures are when the drives and computer are completely idle. I think there is also something funky with the Seagate SMART temperature reporting. Every once in a while, DTemp will report a temperature like 253C; if I force another read of temperature, it will return to something more sane. This has never happened with the Samsung.

Acetylator

Post by Acetylator » Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:17 am

Well, I have two Seagate Barracudas 200 GB 7200 and they really run at 46 C. Seems it is their normal temp. Well, maybe I didn't help you a lot, but at least now you knwo that it is normal temp for Seagates :-)

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:17 pm

I got the same deal on that Seagate drive.....CompUSA $59. I installed it the other day (already have a SATA Seagate as the primary drive). It runs about 2C hotter than the other Seagate.....which means it usually runs about 36C.

46C would make me worry about the thing. The ATA Seagate is the lower drive in the "Bird-house" HD mod I posted about awhile ago. You need more cooling for your drive (IMHO).
Last edited by Bluefront on Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:21 pm

Seagate's 7200.7 run relatively hot. The hottest part of the drive is the black metal piece. The silver coloured top of the drive gets less hot. So put the drive upside down on your suspension bed.

If the temps stay to high, then look at the article Effective Passive Hard Drive Cooling. The article doesn't mention putting the drive upside down. Probably because the Seagate Barracuda IV has a SeaShield, which gives the drive two silver coloured (i.e. cooler) sides.

davidstone28

Post by davidstone28 » Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:24 pm

Personally, I'd mount a 5v 80mm fan in there, provided theres the space. If you can build a wooden cage, you'll easiily be able figure out how to mount the fans. HDDs need airflow, airflow and more airflow for good temps IMO.

On my fanless Sonata they hit 42-46c. With fan they hit about 30-32c.

msm_zgok

Post by msm_zgok » Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:23 pm

Temperatures have been skyrocketting all of a sudden. I think at least 4°C. I'm sweating like crazy too; 11" fan on "HIGH" to cool me :p. Anyways, it looks like I'll return it and eat the 15% restocking fee and invest in some much needed RAM (have 256MB only :()