Custom Built Wood cases : Securing Mb and doors

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

knoted

Custom Built Wood cases : Securing Mb and doors

Post by knoted » Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:41 pm

For the few of you have done this before, how did you attach the doors? Being frequently removed and re-attached, i'm sure the holes would be threaded in no time. Hinges are annoying, and external latches, well, are external. Any ideas on how to attach the doors without affecting external case surface would be very helpful.

Also, what to use for MB mounting. Just steal one from an old case or something, and build the frame around that?

andywww

door attachment

Post by andywww » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:38 am

I haven't done this before but i was thinking about this a while ago and thought that cutting pegs would secure a door pretty well without requiring external fasteners or threading issues.

Cerb

Re: door attachment

Post by Cerb » Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:16 am

I don't know about doors (mine is a drawer), but for mobo mounting, I used the tray from a Enlight 7101. Not counting that, you could check out the 'skeletons' at directron.com.

Gnep

Post by Gnep » Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:29 am

I've done this for a wall-mounted cabinet housing 2 computers running pretty damn quietly together. For mobo mounting, I took the trays out of old cases (although IIRC some companies e.g. kustompcs.co.uk allow you to order them separately). Same for optical drive mounting.

For the doors, I use a combination of gravity and magnetic latches (as used on cubboard doors) to hold them in place. Seems to work well and you can't see them from the outside, which is a bonus.

hvengel

Post by hvengel » Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:54 am

Localy there is a store that sells old/used electronics. They have many old PC cases and sell them cheap. If you can find one of these places near you it should be possible to find an used PC case that could be cut up for things like the mother board tray. You could then mount the tray using stand offs.

knoted

Post by knoted » Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:50 pm

I might have to go scrounge some old cases then.

Thanks, but I don't think magnets and gravity will hold anything in place while in the boot of my car. Might have to do some experimenting for that one...

DryFire

Post by DryFire » Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:28 pm

for the motherboard couldn't you place it on the wood. mark the holles you need then drill holes for teh standoffs?

of course buying a tray may be easier.