silentmaxx HDDD-silencer review

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

silentmaxx HDDD-silencer review

Post by 448191 » Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:41 pm

Fot those interested: Ducth Tweakers.net published a review of hdd-coolers/silencers. Their recommendation: the German Silentmaxx HDD-silencer rev 2.0.

A quick summary:

They tested the following products:

1. IBL Box HDD 10
2. Sharkoon HDD Vibe Fixer 2
3. Silentmaxx HDD-silencer Rev. 2.0
4. Zalman ZM-2HC2
5. Cooler Master Cool Drive 6

As reference they also tested with the Cooldrive 4 and ofcourse with no cooler at all...

Silentmaxx is the winner, but the cheaper Zalman isn't far behind..

Shuriken

Post by Shuriken » Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:44 am

For the non-dutch speakers among us.

Computer uit = Computer Off
Geen Koeler = No Cooler

The review is ok for a normal computer user. But 29dBA when the computer is off is not something i consider a good sound testing enviroment.

The Silentmaxx looks a lot like the Smart Drive 2002. So it didn't surprise me that it came out on top.

Pjotor
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Pjotor » Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:49 am

Too bad AC Ryan's Xilencer wasn't included in the test -- it looks like it could rival Silentmaxx, at least on paper.

Post by 448191 » Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:44 am

Shuriken wrote:The Silentmaxx looks a lot like the Smart Drive 2002. So it didn't surprise me that it came out on top.
It does, but: the smart drive makes your drives run hot, while the silentmaxx cools them down. Big difference IMHO.

The Xilencer is VERY similar indeed... I only found a spanish review though, and my Spanish is a bit rusty.. :roll:

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:19 am

Just a bit of a Caveat Emptor about Silentmaxx. Some SPCR members have had a less than stellar experience with Silentmaxx products and customer service. Things may be better now but I remember recently reading (but I can't find it by Googling) that the Silentmaxx company is going through some sort of reorganization, including taking down their "silentmaxx.net" online presence and going with a new US distributor.

Just an FYI, FWIW.

wing

Post by wing » Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:32 am

448191 wrote:It does, but: the smart drive makes your drives run hot, while the silentmaxx cools them down. Big difference IMHO.
Do you mean Smart Drive or Silent Drive? "Makes your drives run hot" is inconsistent with either results from Tom's Hardware or SPCR's own testing (and SPCR was not even testing this newer model). 1°C increase from no enclosure is not what I'd exactly call "hot", and according to the manufacturer, the 2002 model should increase the drive temperature 3°C less than the original model, so the 2002 should also cool the drive down somewhat (1°C – 3°C = -2°C) if the manufacturer's figures are right.

Disclaimer: I don't own a Smart Drive, but I trust SPCR's reviews

mco_chris

Post by mco_chris » Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:06 am

It may run cooler than the SmartDrive - the heatsink fins look much larger than the fins on the SmartDrive. But the back part of the enclosure is half open (not good). The SmartDrive seems to have more sound deading material in it, but the material looks like generic foam, especially on the top and bottom panels.

click picture for for 'mo bigger

QuietPC has them for sale.

Too bad these things are so expensive.