Art Deco PSU muffler by Dave Benz

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Sleeper

Art Deco PSU muffler by Dave Benz

Post by Sleeper » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:01 pm

Anybody see this PSU muffler by Dave Benz?
http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/decobo ... asp?page=2

Where was this guy a few days ago.
I actually (almost) finished an external one with a styrofoam cooler attached by velcro.... not pretty enough to post. But should be quite functional. I picked it up at Jewel. It holds a sixpack and ice or maybe a twevepack without ice. I stuffed it with foam and cut out a square exhaust pointing down.

I have two 120mm Sunon fans (one in and one out) and a Thermaltake volcano for the CPU. All very loud. I bought them all before I realized how loud they could be. Please don't tell me to yank them out; ideally, I'd like them to run during a game, and be quiet when I surf.

The volcano and the PSU's fan are attached to the motherboard, and Speedfan is reducing them appropriately. The Sunons come with 4-pin connectors. I just bought a few 3-to-4 pin converters, so I can attach the Sunons to the MB. The case already has a rubber pad glued everywhere inside.

I'm hoping this combination will greatly reduce the noise. If not, I was considering swapping the Sunons for Panaflos.
I considered watercooling but it is so frigging expensive, and I'm a bit nervous. Yes, I know it works but I haven't a clue about what parts to buy.

In anycase, I just may try Dave's muffler idea. I'm pretty sure that it would work well with my case, since it has a top compartment like his does. Workable, cheap, and stealthy! Check out his post if you need a muffler and want to keep your fans!

BTW, anybody have trouble downloading the latest edition of Speedfan?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:03 am

Sleeper wrote:BTW, anybody have trouble downloading the latest edition of Speedfan?
Nope, I just downloaded it in about 9 seconds on my 1.5Mbps ADSL connection.

Sleeper

Speedfan download problems

Post by Sleeper » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:41 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:
Sleeper wrote:BTW, anybody have trouble downloading the latest edition of Speedfan?
Nope, I just downloaded it in about 9 seconds on my 1.5Mbps ADSL connection.
I tried it again late last night but no luck.
I have cable modem connection.
First attempt on a PC with download agent.
Second attempt on another PC with no download agent.

Clicking on the link (the exe file) reopens the same page I was on.
Guess I'll keep on trying. Perhaps he was doing maintenance?

--------------------------------------------------
OK, time to amend.
I emailed Alfredo at almico.com (Speedfan) and asked for assistance.
Alfredo suggested that my firewall (Norton) was preventing the referrer to be read.
Rather than disable my firewall for the download, I configured it to accept referrers to his site. They call it something different but its pretty close.
Bingo! Got it!
I forwarded the instructions to Alfredo and encouraged him to post it.
A cool guy.

I encourage all of you to donate a few bucks so that he can continue to provide us with a wonderful product!

Thanks again Alfredo!
Sleeper