Little help cooling down microatx case

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

bbzidane

Little help cooling down microatx case

Post by bbzidane » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:38 am

I was wondering if anyone can provide some sort of suggestions for me to cool my micro atx case.

I'm currently living on campus at university and the computer is just a few feet beside my bed. I have recently swapped my amd hsf for a si-97 with nexus 90mm fan. Obviously it is much quieter and much cooler than before, but now i notice that my motherboard/case temp is higher than my cpu temp. Because of the si-97, i had remove my optical drive, i figured if i need one, i could use an external enclosure that i have lyign around. And since i no longer have an optical drive, there is an opening into the case at the front, since it doesnt use any sort of plate to cover it, im just leaving it open for now.

I guess the biggest problem here is that there is no fan to draw air into the case and there is only a 60mm fan drawing air out, which i did remove the builtin grill for. Right now that is my loudest part of the computer, so i do want to quiet it down, but not too sure how.

I'm currently thinking of getting a slot fan and maybe 5v or something like that. Any suggestions?

I would mount a case fan onto the side of the case, but since it is a micro atx case, the case uses a U-panel instead of side panels like a normal atx case. I guess i could still do it, but it would make it look fairly ghetto which i sort of want to avoid if possible.

So any ideas on what i can do to cool down the motherboard temp and maybe even make it quieter?

currently the temps are ~32 for the cpu and ~36 for the motherboard sensor