Any smart way to mount a fan in this wierd fan slot?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

dynamit

Any smart way to mount a fan in this wierd fan slot?

Post by dynamit » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:16 am

Hi!

Once again I turn to you guys, the gurus of silencing for some advice.

I've installed an extra hdd and need some airflow where the hdds are mounted. I saw an 80mm fan grill in the front of my old inwin case and figured that I would buy a Nexus 80 mm and have it blow on my disks.

Now I'm sitting here with my new fan and can't figure out how to mount it. There are no screwholes where the fan grill is.

I took a picture with my phone just to show you.

Any ideas? What would you do? I really need the fan there.

Qwertyiopisme

Post by Qwertyiopisme » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:29 am

There are several diffrent ways that you could attach them (listed as noise level, better is higher up):

-Drill holes and use rubber grommets
-Use existing holes and use bluefront's cable tie holding assembly thing. search for it, it is quite common)
-Double sticky *foam* tape
-Cyanoacrylate glue (found at hobby stores)

Oh and please, please, please cut that fan grill...

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:41 am

Can it fit if you orient the fan like a diamond, i.e. with a corner of the fan being at the top?

It looks like there are mounting holes at the top and at the right.

Otherwise, listen to Qwertyiopisme's suggestions. And I second the suggestion of cutting the fan grill.

ChucuSCAD
Patron of SPCR

Post by ChucuSCAD » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:50 am

If I recall correctly those cases came with a plastic housing that snapped in, I threw all of mine in the garbage and drilled holes myself.

as mentioned prior, for the love that is all good in this world cut out that grill!

chucuSCAD

dynamit

Post by dynamit » Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:54 pm

ChucuSCAD wrote:If I recall correctly those cases came with a plastic housing that snapped in, I threw all of mine in the garbage and drilled holes myself.

as mentioned prior, for the love that is all good in this world cut out that grill!

chucuSCAD
The grill will go... I promise... :lol:

The case came with some kunda of plastic housing... I think I have it at a friends house. Can you put a fan in it or what?

Pjotor
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Pjotor » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:48 pm

dynamit wrote:The case came with some kunda of plastic housing... I think I have it at a friends house. Can you put a fan in it or what?
Yes, the plastic housing clips on to the mount, and a fan snaps into the housing. I used to have a case like that, and I now have one where I drilled my own fan holes instead.

And I also cut the grills away.