Acoustipack options

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Sooty

Acoustipack options

Post by Sooty » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:45 am

One major difference between the ‘Standard’ pack and the more expensive ‘Deluxe’ pack, appears to be the inclusion of the contoured surfaced 17mm sheet (cut-out blocks = 45% increase in surface area) in the Deluxe pack. Top large sheet here:
The ‘Deluxe’ kit and ‘Pre-Cut’ kits are similarly priced (in the UK). However, in the Pre-Cut kits, the contoured surfaced 17mm sheet is missing. So that’s left me wondering if, what you pay for in the Pre-Cut, is more convenience in fitting, but using mostly ‘Standard’ pack materials. Where as if I’m after ultimate damping, I’m probably better off using the Deluxe kit, with it’s supposedly better materials, and cutting it myself. Am I correct in thinking that’s the trade-off between these different kits?

Weights stated for materials in kits, on Acousti website, are:
Standard: 2.7kg, Deluxe: 3.0kg.
Sonata Pre-Cut: 2.0kg, BQE Pre-Cut: 3.0kg, C6607/ 6A19/ AMB Pre-Cut: Not stated.

The Pre-Cut kits appear to have more drive bay blocks, which might explain why the BQE Pre-Cut is the same weight as Deluxe kit. Why don’t Acousti use the 17mm contoured sheet in the Pre-Cut kits?

mg1394

Post by mg1394 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:59 am

Actually the "pre-cut" kits have approximately 3 of the standard sheets, while the Deluxe has 2 standard and one 17mm sheet. So, it's a matter of what fits best in your case, many can't fit the thicker sheet anywhere useful. The cutting part is easy.

davidstone28

Post by davidstone28 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:55 pm

I've owned the Pre-Cut Sonata kit as well as the Deluxe version, and IMO, the performance between the countoured thicker piece and the thinner non-countoured piece is unlikely to become a issue because of the following:-

1. The major point is that if there is a noise source from your PC that is so loud as to require the thicker piece (and it really is quite thick), you are going to hear that noise in any event, because that noise is going to leak from other areas of your case - rear fan grill, through the motherboard, out of the front etc. Don't forget that the thicker piece only covers one side of the case.

2. If you can get a pre-cut kit, I would recommend that over the Deluxe version simply because there small pieces which fit into most nooks and crannys within the case. An all round damped case is probably going to be better than a partly damped case (it definitely was with the Sonata).

3. Its a minor nuisance to cut the Deluxe version and get the shapes exactly right.

I'm not so sure the Deluxe piece would fit into a Sonata / BQE properly. From memory (don't have the Sonata anymore) it would probably have to be cut around the drive bays, the central bar that runs across the side, would press up very close to the CPU area, may make it difficult fitting the side panel etc I'm sure it can be done, but would be a major hassle for the manufacturer as you would end up with door panel piece of varying thicknesses, and lots of cut-outs in it.

Also bear in mind that if you're going to damp a full tower case with the Deluxe kit, you will not have enough material to fully cover all panels.

Sooty

Post by Sooty » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:01 am

Thanks guys, very helpful replies :)