Anandtech review of Lian-li PC-60 Plus

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

oldabelincoln

Anandtech review of Lian-li PC-60 Plus

Post by oldabelincoln » Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:52 pm

Unsurprisingly, Anandtech's review at http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling/sh ... spx?i=2357 concludes that this is a noisy case. What's strange about the review is the thermal map on P.8.

They don't state testing conditions, so we can only guess, But the first, detailed map is quite different from the second. Apparently the first is the ambient air temp, while the second is presumably contact measurments.

But the duct in this case is supposed to be an INTAKE, and not the exhaust that one would expect in that location. So why is it showing 33C in both diagrams?

All I can think of is that it's running as an exhaust OR it is an intake that's sucking in hot air exhausted via the squirrel cage blower fan below it.

This is an interesting cooling setup, and I wish SPCR would review it to evaluate how well it works - I don't think Anandtech has done a good job on this.

Or am I missing something?

HaloJones

Post by HaloJones » Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:42 am

Their comments surrounding the original PC-60 are somewhat off the mark. The PC60 never had two 60mm fans at the front!! I've never had a problem using a screwdriver on the PCI card mounts either.

I wish they'd do a bit more on the sound though. Was the noise coming from the blower, the front 120 or the top and rear 80mm fans?

Blooz

Post by Blooz » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:19 am

I'd also like to see a better review of this case.

The cooling system is interesting, but I agree with Oldabe that warm air may be getting sucked in from the 120MM exhaust.

I see they are still using ADDA fans. I have a PC-65b case, and found the stock ADDAs to be loud with mediocre airflow. I replaced mine with Panaflo "M" series 80MM's, using a Sunbeam rheobus. This allowed me to have good airflow for gaming, yet they could be turned down for quiet.

Thorz

Post by Thorz » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:21 am

This case looks very nice. I would love to see a review of ot here. The 80mm fan in the top could be changed by a Nexus 120 as the one int he front. Changing the 80mm fan in the back for a Nexus and controlling that 120mm fan over the PCI cards with something like a fanmate 2 would put that noise levels down. What do you think?

I really lile this case for my next setup.