Antec Titan 550 Server case doesn't fit ATX boards?!

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

KorruptioN

Antec Titan 550 Server case doesn't fit ATX boards?!

Post by KorruptioN » Mon May 02, 2005 4:25 am

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=91550

Reading this review leads me to believe that this is strictly a server case. I like the look of it, the noise properties of the steel and the fan setup look quite attractive also. Antec is making a huge mistake by not allowing ATX boards to mount in this case.

alglove

Post by alglove » Mon May 02, 2005 6:21 am

I don't get it. I see nothing about this case that would preclude the installation of an ATX motherboard. In fact, the Antec feature list even says "up to Extended ATX including CEB specification motherboard (30,5 x 33 cm)" http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=91550 .

Am I missing something here, or did the review not even have ATX motherboards available? At least that would explain why he could not mount any. Notice how he never gives a reason *why* he could not do it.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Mon May 02, 2005 7:02 am

Agreed. I don't see the conflict either. The only possible issue may be with the standoff locations, but considering that CEB and E-ATX boards use at least some of the same holes as an ATX board does, that doesn't seem likely either.

The review's forum thread is already full of people asking that very same question, so we'll just have to wait and see if the reviewer responds.

I still don't understand how you can call it a case "review" when you don't even install a system in it and run it. :roll: That'd be like Car and Driver reviewing cars by walking around them in the parking lot. But that's just me.

AntecRep
-- Vendor --

Post by AntecRep » Mon May 02, 2005 7:52 am

That's very odd. We're going to double check on our end just to be sure.

AntecRep

frostedflakes

Post by frostedflakes » Mon May 02, 2005 7:52 pm

eATX and ATX use the same standoff layout, eATX boards are simply wider (looking at the case from the side, they would stretch farther left to right), and have a few extra mounting holes closest to the front of the case.

So it should work fine with ATX motherboards. :)

pcweltz

Post by pcweltz » Mon May 02, 2005 8:09 pm

I dunno, take a closer look at the standoff locations in the review photo....he may be right about it not fitting standard ATX boards.

tay
Friend of SPCR

Post by tay » Mon May 02, 2005 8:10 pm

Rusty075 wrote:I still don't understand how you can call it a case "review" when you don't even install a system in it and run it. :roll: That'd be like Car and Driver reviewing cars by walking around them in the parking lot. But that's just me.
Nice!

munichkid

Post by munichkid » Tue May 03, 2005 3:45 am

Called Antec on this same issue and they assured me that it will fit ATX boards according to a gentleman named Roscoe.
Also has anyone actually seena price on this.
I nearly passed out when I saw $240.00

This only 3 things I am not too crazy about is the 2-92mm fans in front, the fact that there are no hard drive mounting places EXCEPT for using the 5 1/4 adapters, and finally that there are no rubber isolators for the drive mounts.

Looks like there si going to be a lot of modding if I can actually afford this case. Like putting in a ducted 120mm side intake.

All in all is seems to be a nice case tho.

God, these case are getting expensive.
My last case was only $70 and that was 5 years ago and am STILL using it :)

nick705

Post by nick705 » Tue May 03, 2005 4:23 am

munichkid wrote: This only 3 things I am not too crazy about is the 2-92mm fans in front, the fact that there are no hard drive mounting places EXCEPT for using the 5 1/4 adapters, and finally that there are no rubber isolators for the drive mounts.
The "review" linked to above doesn't mention anything about HDD mounting, but if you look at the product manual on Antec's website it says: "There are six internal 3.5" drive bays right under the 5.25" drive bays for hard drives. Each drive bay comes with a pair of drive rails with rubber grommets." So there should at least be some isolation for the drives out of the box, and the lower drive cage also looks ideal for rigging up some kind of custom suspension.

The price does seem excessive for an all-steel case though... it's £151 including VAT at X-Case in the UK, although that does include the 550W power supply of course. If it were available for half the price without a PSU, I'd definitely give it serious consideration.

I shudder to think what they'll be asking for the now almost legendary P180... :shock:

munichkid

Post by munichkid » Tue May 03, 2005 4:26 am

nick705 wrote:
munichkid wrote: This only 3 things I am not too crazy about is the 2-92mm fans in front, the fact that there are no hard drive mounting places EXCEPT for using the 5 1/4 adapters, and finally that there are no rubber isolators for the drive mounts.
The "review" linked to above doesn't mention anything about HDD mounting, but if you look at the product manual on Antec's website it says: "There are six internal 3.5" drive bays right under the 5.25" drive bays for hard drives. Each drive bay comes with a pair of drive rails with rubber grommets." So there should at least be some isolation for the drives out of the box, and the lower drive cage also looks ideal for rigging up some kind of custom suspension.
Sorry must have missed that point. Thanks :oops:

AntecRep
-- Vendor --

Post by AntecRep » Tue May 03, 2005 8:04 am

We've checked with microATX, Standard and Extended ATX motherboards and they all fit. We're working with the reviewer to find out what his specific issues were and go from there.

AntecRep

Paragon

Post by Paragon » Thu May 12, 2005 3:21 pm

I certainly hope you get that information out to the masses in a hurry as I know a number of people who were very interested in this case and failed to purchase it due to that one section in the review :o

MattHelm

Post by MattHelm » Sat May 14, 2005 8:33 am

AntecRep wrote:We've checked with microATX, Standard and Extended ATX motherboards and they all fit. We're working with the reviewer to find out what his specific issues were and go from there.

AntecRep
Well, I just bought one of these, and I can tell you the issues, at least with mine. (Back of case towared you, P/S on left. Using a 3 x 3 ATX pattren (know a few holes aren't perfect in the rows))

1. There is a built in standoff that is in the way of a standard ATX bourd.

2. On a ATX board, the following holes for standoffs are missing :
Right most middle row hole.
Middle far back row hole.
Left far back row hole.
Or:
xx0
00x
(x = missing, 0 = hole)

It really looks like the mother board tray was made ONLY for Extended ATX boards. That or someone is putting them in 180 out (can't see that end of the board).

Temp fixes:
1. I removed the extra standoff by drilling it out from the bottom. Could not "unscrew" it.

2. Cut off the screw ends of the brass standoffs with a rotory cutter, so the MB will still have support.

"Real" fixes Antec should make:
1. Do not press fit the standoff that is not in the ATX spec.

2. Add threaded holes in all ATX (and other) locations.

I'm kind of disapointed in this, as I think of Antec as one of the highest quailty case suppliers out there, and they should have know people making very high end standard (not server) machines might choose this case.

Paragon

Post by Paragon » Sat May 14, 2005 10:02 am

This information was posted on the Legit Reviews forum by the writer that did this product review...apparently Antec is aware of the problem :oops:
When the Titan550 was designed 2 fixed notches were screwed to mount the
ATX boards but those won't work with all motherboards.

To correct this problem we are going to make them removable so the next
production will be corrected.
-Antec
I would certainly hope that Antec would do something for you since you bought the case thinking that it would work with your MB.

KorruptioN

Post by KorruptioN » Sun May 22, 2005 4:23 am

Just to add to this thread, another review on another case, but the same reviewer:
While reviewing the Titan 550 I was a bit disappointed in the inability to mount my ATX motherboards as I looked forward to using the case for my own system. I talked to Antec's developement team and was told that standard ATX boards would fit, but after explaining I had tried with 5 different boards without success, I never got a response from them on how to actually accomplish that.
http://www.legitreviews.com/article.php?aid=200

Paragon

Post by Paragon » Sun May 22, 2005 10:34 am

That review in which he included the statement you quoted was as informative as reading yesterday's news...no temps, no sound levels, no installation and etc.

I'm not very impressed with the author's style, especially since he neglected to post Antec's response which he himself posted in the Legit Forums...It's one thing to do a poor review it's another entirely to purposefully or for whatever reason withhold a manufacturer's comments to a problem!

nici

Post by nici » Sun May 22, 2005 11:09 am

I talked to Antec's developement team and was told that standard ATX boards would fit, but after explaining I had tried with 5 different boards without success, I never got a response from them on how to actually accomplish that. With the TX1050B this will not be a problem! Upon opening the chassis, my prayers were answered by the numerous mounting post options available on the motherboard tray. After testing every board I have, I think everyone will be happy to hear that this case supports everything from a micro up to the standard ATX motherboard.