Antec case for a DFI nF4 system: TX1050B or SLK3000B?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

spiffy102

Antec case for a DFI nF4 system: TX1050B or SLK3000B?

Post by spiffy102 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:27 am

These two systems will cost about the same for me locally. I've read through the SPCR review of the SLK3000B and a few threads here, and a despite the general enthusiasm a few things concern me:
- poor/flimsy build quality
- the side door duct won't be located over my cpu
- front face supposedly rattles unless the hdd & front intake fan are modded
- cheap front usb ports

Whereas everything I've read of the TX1050B (admittedly not a lot of reviews out there) has all been positive in terms of build quality. The 270 degree opening door is a small plus too. I would like a quiet pc, but am unlikely to put a lot of effort and money into getting one :lol:

Can anyone offer any advice or experiences that might help me in this decision?

Kakis

Post by Kakis » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:46 am

I have built a DFI nF4 system in a SLK3000B
- poor/flimsy build quality
Nothing i have experienced
- the side door duct won't be located over my cpu
Nope it won't. It will be above the CPU, slightly to the left. I don't feel any need to give my memory sticks any special cooling so I removed the duct since it just prevents airflow. Modyfing it would would be nice but it's very unlikley that I would actually do that. The upper PCIe x16 slot is however in the middle of the lower vent.
- front face supposedly rattles unless the hdd & front intake fan are modded
My case didn't come with an intake fan so to be precise it doesn't cause any rattle since it's not there in the first place. However the plastic mpounting device installed for the intake fan will cause lots of noise through vibration. Get rid of it! I have my intake fan mounted with some kind of rubber sticks I found at my local computer store when asking for mounting screws. They go inside those rubber grommets things for the harddrives. The fan sits firmly and is a lot quiter than standard screw mounting. The rear fan is the same except that there was no room to put the grommets in place.
- cheap front usb ports
They work perfectly for me. However I had to bend them quite a bit to make them fit. Very strange I think, but sine they are fine I don't care.

In general I'm happy with the case so far. I have no camera availible atm so I can't give you any pictures.

GDukeman

Post by GDukeman » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:55 am

I have an SLK3000B and I'm very happy with it. I've only used cheap cases so I was impressed with the gauge steel and even with an Antec 120mm fan in the front it does not rattle. The fans are on an Antec TP380s from a Sonata.

My system is an Athlon xp 2800+. I didn't like the noise coming from the duct so I put a window in instead and the sound was reduced significantly.

1 USB port did need bending out but it works fine now.