Foam from new motherboards

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Slidax

Foam from new motherboards

Post by Slidax » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:48 am

Do any of you acoustics experts believe that the piece of foam that comes with new motherboards would be any good at case dampening.
I know it doesnt have those fancy properties real dampening stuff has but surely it would absorb some sound.

Im asking this because i might pick up some from a shop tomorrow (free of course) :)

thanks

Freelancer77

Re: Foam from new motherboards

Post by Freelancer77 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:30 am

Slidax wrote:Do any of you acoustics experts believe that the piece of foam that comes with new motherboards would be any good at case dampening.
I know it doesnt have those fancy properties real dampening stuff has but surely it would absorb some sound.

Im asking this because i might pick up some from a shop tomorrow (free of course) :)

thanks
Not really. The only thing that foam is good for is cutting into filters in high dust areas. It flows air pretty well, but isn't dense enough by half to provide any acoustic damping. And it's only about 3/16" thick, not enough mass to even accidentally reduce vibrations where it's mounted. Sorry.

Gholam

Post by Gholam » Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:08 am

That depends, I've got a sheet that came from a boxed Intel server board; it measures 37x42cm and 3.5cm thickness. Quite stiff too.