Chipset Temperature when using passive Scythe Ninja in P180

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Riviera

Chipset Temperature when using passive Scythe Ninja in P180

Post by Riviera » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:56 pm

I am planning on getting a P180 shortly and was wondering, whether there might be a problem with the passive cooled chipset getting too warm on an MSI 865PE Neo2 when combined with a 2,93GHz celeron cooled by a Scythe Ninja without a fan.
I am not jet sure whether I will be using both, or only one of the top 120mm fans, but in both cases I am unsure whether the lacking airflow around the cpu might let the chipset get too warm, as I know it already gets very warm on this board when using a cpu fan.

I would be very grateful for any opinions.

Lubb

Post by Lubb » Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:52 pm

I have a MSI K8T Neo2 mobo with a Athlon-64 3000/939 (Winchester core, 1.8Ghz), and with the Scythe Ninja running passive in a P180 case with both upper fans on their low setting, the usual temp is around 35C. ....About what it was with the stock heatsink and fan. The Ninja is quite less noisy however. <:P

I looked around on retailers and found that the 2.93 Celeron has a heat rating of 75W, and the AMD I have is given as "67 to 89W".... The Winchester core is gone it seems, all I find now are Venice's.... So I would guess the Celery temp would be about the same.

I got it because people here said to, honestly. I was considering a Thermaltake Sonic Tower, and it was pointed out that the Sonic Tower is not really good for passive use; it requires a fan. The Ninja does not, if the case airflow is half-decent. I haven't run CPUBurn or anything like that, because it's so far from overheating anyway I don't care.

Here is the SPCR page on the matter:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article31-page1.html
~

Freelancer77

Post by Freelancer77 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:03 am

Every picture I've seen of an 865PE-NEO2 has a chipset HSF. So, did you replace that with a passive heatsink?

If so, given the chipset's position on the board, if you were really paranoid you could put a 120mm fan in the P180's upper intake position to bolster airflow across the board. But honestly, with the two existing 120mm fans running there should be more than adequate airflow across the northbridge given it's relation to the CPU socket. I'd be more worried whether a Ninja would fit easily with the chipset that close.

Riviera

Post by Riviera » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:57 am

Freelancer77 wrote:Every picture I've seen of an 865PE-NEO2 has a chipset HSF. So, did you replace that with a passive heatsink?
Your probably thinking of the Neo2-fis2r boards. They have an active one. I'm planning on getting the Neo2-PFS or Neo2-V which are both passive.

I have also been considering going with an Athlon-64 and the same board Lubb has. Now that I know that that works without any problems I'm even more at doubt whether Intel is the right way to go.
You got any comments, good or bad on that board Lubb?

Thanks for your answers so far.

Riviera

Post by Riviera » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:50 am

Just thought I'd drop in to say what my final choice was. Got an AMD cpu, namely an athlont 64 3000+ after all. Combined that with an MSI K8T-Neo2 F which hasn't got a fan on the chipset.
The result with 5 harddrives (4 in the bottom compartment) is that the cpu never goes beyond 45 degrees celcius and the chipset is normally around 60. Don't know if this is a lot for the chipset, but the system is very stable so it seems to be fine.