cheap dampening material

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

matva

cheap dampening material

Post by matva » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:52 pm

im looking into buying some cheap dampening material. from what i have read, car dampening stuff is supposed to be cheapest. I know nothing of this, i dont even own a car.. can someone point me in the right direction. I know there's a pep boys near by, should i try there? What exactly is the stuff im looking for? This is for a sonata II btw. I'd like to line the entire case with it.

theyangster

Post by theyangster » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:25 pm

sound dampening will only slghtly reduce the overall noise, you'd be better off getting quieter fans

I'm not sure where you can buy it if you still wanted to

EDIT-should've looked at your Sonata first, before replying

you seem to be well established, perhaps a fan swap in the PSU?

or is it the hard drives? :)

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:31 pm

snowman59

Post by snowman59 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:15 pm

I'm also looking for a cheap alternative but I was planning to make my own acoustic composite panels using some vinyl sound dampening sheets (available from auto stores; about 2mm thick) and glueing on some packing foam (used in camera cases & other fancy electroic device carriers) but also used for sound insulation. I was reading about the use of packing foam online somewhere but I can't seem to find the site...try searching google and see what you can find. An acoustic barrier and a layer of acoustic foam works best...thats what AcoustiPack & DampTek use

Tibors is right though, I don't expect a whole lot of reduction in noise, but every little bit helps...and hopefully it helps more than people claim.

~best of luck to you.