elegant case that works with zalman multifan ?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Svartberg

elegant case that works with zalman multifan ?

Post by Svartberg » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:44 am

I'm planning to buy a new rig, which includes investment in a longterm case.
I'd like to keep my zalman multifan, but the knobs are 1.5cm long, so that wipes out a lot of cases.
It doesn't have to be a "silent" case, i just need a new case.
The p160 seemed like a good cadadite, but i got really turned down by its looks.

What case would you recommend for me which :
- has a motherboard tray (a must, since i plan to do a lot of changes)
- has 1.5cm space in front of the cdrom drives (for the zalman controller)
- has 120mm outtake fan slot
- has an elegent (non gaming) but not generic look either (i don't plan to spend 200$+ on a case that looks like crap)
- higher than 45cm.
Last edited by Svartberg on Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

nici

Post by nici » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:24 am

The Silverstone TJ03 everything in your list except the 120mm fan on the back, it has place for two 80mm fans in the back and one in the top. It certainly is elegant, looks even better in real life 8) If i was to spend big money on a case, this is definately the one id get.

I´ve never seen a case with removable mobo tray and 120mm fan at the back, but honestly two 80mm fans can push the same amount of air at the same volume as one 120mm fan, theres even a thread about it somewhere..

Heres a thread from the Gallery featuring a system built in a silver TJ03, scroll down a bit for exterior pics 8) http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... light=tj03

Sooty

Post by Sooty » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:54 am

You don’t mention wanting a door(?), so a removable mobo-tray narrows your choice far more than accommodating the Zalman.

Akasa Eclipse-62. Alu, steel and plastic. High build quality. 120mm front and rear. Optional side window. Not cheap, and not available worldwide. Certainly looks ‘elegant’ with it’s all-over black finish and polished steel mobo tray. Popular in the UK.

Svartberg

Post by Svartberg » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:27 pm

Thanks for the comments, those cases seem nice but unfortunatly they aren't available in any place in my country (i would order them but they're not what i'm looking for)
I was mainly looking to see which good cases are compatible with my zalman, since i can't access this data anywhere (for example the p180 seems like a great case, looks beautiful too, but will my zalman fit in ?)

nici : there are a lot of cases with removable mobos and 120mm fan slots, it's just that two 80mm are considered "better airflow" whereas a single 120mm will be a good choice for a silencer and not an overclocker for example.
also this silverstone seems to have a door - will it have 1.5cm space for my multifan controller ?

Sooty :that doesn't mean i can't take the ones without doors, but a lot of good cases have doors like the p180 (though it has no removable mobo), the sonata, tt shark, etc
You are right about the removable mobo tray, but when i buy a good case it's one of the things i expect - swapping cpu and/or cooling seems like a living hell without a removable mobo.
the p160 answer all my "needs" (removable mobo, 120mm fan, space for the controller, and it's high) but unfortunatly looks *ugh*.

Sooty

Post by Sooty » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:28 am

Svartberg wrote:there are a lot of cases with removable mobos and 120mm fan slots,
A removeable tray is not a feature I personally look for, but I’m sure such cases are rare. They were more common a few years ago. So you'll find more older cases, but they’re less likely to have 120mm.
Svartberg wrote:it's just that two 80mm are considered "better airflow" whereas a single 120mm will be a good choice for a silencer and not an overclocker for example.
It’s not that clear-cut. It’s just that 120’s have a slightly less noticeable noise signature. If you’re using good 80’s, like Nexus, there’s not much in it. But you said noise wasn’t a primary concern, so maybe reconsider 80mm cases? Maybe the old CoolerMaster ATCS range. Most had removeable trays. Some have doors, but clearance looks minimal. The ATC-400/410 / 4000/41000 were arguably the most elegant, and might have more door clearance, but not 45cm tall. So that leaves the ATC-201/200/101. Regularly turn up on eBay.

I’m sure a number of Lian Li’s have removable trays, I know the 6070 does. Maybe some have 120’s, but I’m less familiar with their range. Worth checking out.

nici

Post by nici » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:15 am

Svartberg wrote: (for example the p180 seems like a great case, looks beautiful too, but will my zalman fit in ?)
Yes it will, i have a P180 and the zalman controller and it fits with plenty of room :) The door has about 2cm of room behind it so that leaves 5mm for the knobs, just measured it to be shure.
Svartberg wrote: there are a lot of cases with removable mobos and 120mm fan slots, it's just that two 80mm are considered "better airflow" whereas a single 120mm will be a good choice for a silencer and not an overclocker for example.
Maybe i should have said this clearer, two 80mm fans will be about as quiet/loud as one 120mm fan when they are pushing the same amount of air, provided that the fans are of equal quality.
Svartberg wrote: also this silverstone seems to have a door - will it have 1.5cm space for my multifan controller ?
E-mail silverstone, they will know.

Svartberg wrote: the p160 answer all my "needs" (removable mobo, 120mm fan, space for the controller, and it's high) but unfortunatly looks *ugh*.
I agree about the *ugh* part :lol:

Heres an idea though, cut a hole in the mobo tray so you can access cpu mounting stuff easily without a removable mobo tray :) I´ve thought about doing this but never actually bothered, and now im cursing every time i need to swap a cooler... :lol:

Svartberg

Post by Svartberg » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:21 am

Great, it's good to hear i could fit the multifan controller (or other controllers) behind the p180 door.
I'm probably going to order this one, after i'll read the reviews about it well enough to understand the odd and ends. i have to admit the looks won me - for me the looks were only second to the tt shark case.
My second option is the coolermaster stacker, not exactly a case made for silence but it has all the goodies one looks for.

About cutting a hole in the mobo tray, it's not as simple as that, because a removable mobo tray actually has fastening mechanism so it will stand firm (and more importantly for silencers - won't rattle).
Having a removable mobo tray (which came with my 30$ case, heh) proved again and again to be very useful, i have swapped so many parts and it never felt like a chore, just seperated the tray and had nothing which distrubed my work.

Sooty

Re: elegant case that works with zalman multifan ?

Post by Sooty » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:37 am

Svartberg wrote: - has a motherboard tray (a must, since i plan to do a lot of changes)
As long as you realise neither P180 or Stacker have removeable mobo-trays. :wink:

Svartberg

Post by Svartberg » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:47 pm

yes, thanks for making sure :)
actually the stacker has a removable motherboard tray, the tray was made removable to fit to a btx format (ala optimus prime :P ) it's just not as simple as your everyday removable tray, but it's still something.

Krazy Kommando

Post by Krazy Kommando » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:03 pm

have you considered the coolermaster 730? its got x2 80mm's at the back, but the rest of it seems up to scratch

Ryan

Re: elegant case that works with zalman multifan ?

Post by Ryan » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:07 pm

Sooty wrote:
Svartberg wrote: - has a motherboard tray (a must, since i plan to do a lot of changes)
As long as you realise neither P180 or Stacker have removeable mobo-trays. :wink:
The Stacker Does have a removable mobo tray. It just has, IIRC, 15 screws to remove to get to it.

You might wanna consider the Lian Li V series. The mac-look ones have no door, and the other mini-fridge ones (the one I like, BTW, and my b-day is coming up :lol: ) should have enough room. They're really quiet, and have a 120 in the back and 120 in the front.

Svartberg

Post by Svartberg » Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:22 am

Krazy : If you mean by 730 the "CM Preotrian" variant, than yes it was actually one of the few cases i considered buying, i have to admit CM make quality cases in decent price, but i decided to invest more in the case. (towards the stacker/p180)

Ryan : Lian Li cases are over my budget - i personally expect cases so expensive to also have an edge with their look, maybe that's just me.
Also while mini fridge one is built for quiet, the V1000 is the contrary (its filled with lotsa holes), just wanted to let you know :)