Is there a simple way to remove double side tape on P180 PSU

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

davidstone28

Is there a simple way to remove double side tape on P180 PSU

Post by davidstone28 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:13 pm

I hate Antec.

Really really hate them.

Why did they have to use double sided tape in the PSU compartment of the P180?

Its an absolute dog to remove. Its easy to remove the rubber/gel strips but the tape underneath is very difficult, and it also juts onto the case edge which isn't rolled and has just shreded one of my fingers (thats the first time I'd shed blood to build a case).

Why didn't they give the user the option of using it or not using it?

Is there any way of easily removing the double sided tape? I've spent the last 45 mins chiselling it, rubbing it with my finger (effective if wasn't for the sharp case edge), and using a Brillo pad (wet and dry) but to no avail. At the moment its just a messy sticky goop which isn't good to put a hot passive PSU on top of it.

Any ideas?
Last edited by davidstone28 on Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:41 pm

Goo-gone.

This shit's da bomb for removing sticky glue residue.

davidstone28

Post by davidstone28 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:44 pm

Thanks Ralf.

Unfortunately, us Brits get screwed when it comes to getting hold of this sort of stuff.

Anyone know of a UK equivalent? Would lemon juice work (citric acid)? Dremel buffing tool?

UG

Post by UG » Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:15 pm

nici

Post by nici » Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:51 pm

Ok, anyone know of aFinnish equivalent to Goo Gone? :lol:

PositiveSpin

Most of them are the same...

Post by PositiveSpin » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:59 pm

Most of the goo removers use the same basic ingredient - orange/citrus oil. It's a by-product of orange juice manufacturing (pressed from the orange skins), which amuses me. It's a marvellous solvent for sticky stuff, yet it's harmless to most plastics (unlike many of the nastier solvents...).

Just look around for a citrus oil product with the local silly name - here it's called "De-Solv-it". Sometimes you can find it in larger bottles generically marked "citrus oil".

I was amused to discover that the new Arctic Clean product uses citrus oil (in the clean-up bottle, not the preparer bottle).

dddibley

Post by dddibley » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:50 am

A drop of engine degreaser will work. Good for heatsink thermal pads too. Just don't get it on yourt paint job !!

ddd

Gojira-X

Post by Gojira-X » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:19 am

locktite super glue remover does the trick!

i got mine for 2 quid from a local hardware shop!

davidstone28

Post by davidstone28 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:46 pm

Right, managed to remove it all using the following:-

Akasa TIM-cleaner

Basically, its a petroleum / citrus based cleaning fluid designed to remove thermal pads, grease etc. Probably quite similar to Goo-Gone suggested by Ralf.

Works a treat. Spread it on, wait 2 minutes and it dissolves the goops enough to be able to just rub it off.

Review:
http://www.hexaplague-hardware.com/revi ... -page1.php

Cost me £4. I should Antec to pay for it, since they didn't supply a small bottle of the stuff with the case....

mart_o_rama

Post by mart_o_rama » Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:55 pm

Davidstone28,

What makes you think that these ruber strips can't handle a hot passive PSU? Usually, even a fan-cooled PSU's case will get hot as well...

I finally replaced my NeoHE430 with a Phantom 500 and the rubber strips did not change composure at all since, even if the PSU did get above 50degree once or twice.

Let me know, thanks!

Martin

davidstone28

Post by davidstone28 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:11 pm

TBH, I haven't tried the hot PSU+rubber strips. You could well be right - it might not be problematic at all. I just remember reading a comment by MikeC saying remove the rubber strips. Maybe he's just being over cautious. I suppose the advantage of removing the strips though is that you get some (albeit) minor heat transferance from the PSU to the case.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:14 pm

davidstone28 wrote:... I just remember reading a comment by MikeC saying remove the rubber strips...
I don't remember writing any such comment...

davidstone28

Post by davidstone28 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:47 pm

You definitely said it mate....somewhere on these forums. Wouldn't have gone to the 'finger shredding' trouble otherwise ;)
As far as I can remember it wasn't said as a mandatory requirement, more like 'users should probably remove etc'

In any event, its not big deal either way. Take them off, keep them on, the difference is probably minimal.

Marrs

Post by Marrs » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:25 pm

You can also try something as simple as taking a piece of very sticky tape (packing tape for example), place it over the sticky goo on the case and then pull straight up quickly. Do that repeatedly. A fresh piece of tape is good for removing sticky residue left from an old piece of tape.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:33 am

davidstone28 wrote:You definitely said it mate....
If he did, I'd suggest that he misspoke.

The rubber PSU mounting is a very nice feature, and I certainly wouldn't remove it.