Help finding a case

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

JoshC

Help finding a case

Post by JoshC » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:21 pm

Hello All,

I need help locating the best case for my needs.

I built an HTPC awhile back, but haven't been able to find a horizontal case that cools near as well as a tower. So I'm going back to a tower and would like some suggestions.

My main priorites are:

1. Cold, cold, cold
2. Ssssssh
3. Everything else. :)

Thanks

snowman59

Post by snowman59 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:50 pm

you should defenitly check out the section for cases on the main page that can be found here. As far as a tower goes the preference around here seems to be in the mid-tower line, the likes of the anted p-180/150 and the slk-3X00 series.

Your 2 priorites for temps and quiet don't exactly go together. Thats what I was initially going for but quickly relized that ultra cool can never be ultra quiet. I ended up taking the best of both worlds. As far as a recommendation...I'd go with the slk-3000 if budget is a problem if not go with the p-180 since its suppose to be one of the quietest around. This could also allow you to compensate a little more noise for the cooling ability which you may not be able to do in the p-180.

Another thing to consider is going to be acoustic foam and dampeners. while that has been shown to be of minimal effect, it may be the only way that you are going to get ultra cool with ultra quiet.

~Best of luck to you.

JoshC

Post by JoshC » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:37 pm

Sorry, my list was misleading. I don't expect ultra cool and ultra quiet in the same package. What I meant by my list was that keeping my rig cool was more important than noise and noise was more important than everything else other than temperature. Hope that helps and I'll take a look at the P180 since budget really isn't a problem.