Carpet padding?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

twitchee2

Carpet padding?

Post by twitchee2 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:37 pm

Well this past week end my family ripped out somthing liek 600sqft of carpet so i have alot of carpet padding laying around. I was thinking of using it as dampening. Has anyone used this or know how well it works?

Thanks for your help

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:16 am

If you do a search for "carpet" I believe you'll find a bunch of posts of people that had the same idea, some of them might also have tried it out.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:37 pm

OH, btw:

the density of the material is most important to how well it deadens sound. Lead, while it is a metal, is actually sound proof. not sound deadening, sound proof. So, mass loaded vinyl would do much more than carpet padding, however, something is often better than nothing. increasing the weight of doors and it will also stop mini vibrations at the joints. It should only though help make a almost inaudible setup actually inaudible, it cant silence something loud, you need sound proofing material for that.

dano

Post by dano » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:18 pm

Lead, while it is a metal, is actually sound proof. not sound deadening, sound proof.
I am sorry, but that is a ridiculous statement. How can lead be soundproof? Does lead have a mysterious magical power that prevents it from vibrating?

I do agree that lead or mass loaded vinyl is good for sound deadening but your post is misleading and wildly exaggerated.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:42 pm

uh yeah, get a grip buddy.

lead is the best soundproofing material possible. Sound is a wave, lots of things are waves, waves move objects that are light weight easier, wood is nice, plastic it just kinda goes through, lead is heavy, it doesnt move. a lead case, while not being possible as it would kill you, would be soundproof. you could have the noisiest components possible, just a water cooler to remove heat, and bam, no sound ever.

mlv is way down the list. MASS loaded vinyl. not sound foam dampening vinyl, MASS. it is the weight that blocks sound. blocking sound is best, attenuating it is kiddie stuff.

carpet padding is very lightweight normally, it would dampen sound, maybe take out some high notes "muffle" it, but wouldnt do very much. It would hinder Bounce, the annoying sounds generated.

A quote from THE best sound proofing people out there, they do anything to help you stop sound, call them, amazing amount of knowledge and experience.

"AT LAST! REAL LEAD! THE BEST! ACOUSTICAL DAMPING LEAD METAL SHEETING & Radiation BARRIER! An economical, extremely effective barrier to sound. It's the thinnest and most effective acoustical material known, so is good for installation in/on floors, walls and ceilings for maximum effect. They give this 1/64" foil material a rating of STC 21. It weighs 1 pound per square foot! Professionals apply it to walls, sheetrock/drywall panels with our heavy-duty adhesive. "

http://soundproofing.org/sales/prices.html

research before you post comments

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:08 pm

1. Lead is not "soundproof"
2. Lead is not "the best soundproofing material possible"
3. A lead case is possible.
4. A lead case would not be "soundproof"

Other than that, Jefe is on the right track - dampening materials, like foam, are marginally successful, but can be useful against certain types of sound.

And I think that's about the tenth time you've posted a link to that company...perhaps we should tag you as a vendor. :wink:

dano

Post by dano » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:28 pm

lead is the best soundproofing material possible.
Gold? By your reasoning gold would be the best as it is more dense, but this is beside the point.
Sound is a wave, lots of things are waves
Lots of things are waves, but nothing is a wave as sound is. Sound is carried through (or is) compression "waves" in the air. There is no actual wave, it just reperents the high and the low of the compression of the air. When the compressed air bounces off a solid the sound energy turns into vibration kinetic energy (or heat). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound.
waves move objects that are light weight easier
Objects that are more dense.
a lead case, while not being possible as it would kill you
It is possible and it would not kill you unless you ate it or sanded it down and inhaled the dust.
mlv is way down the list.
Mass loaded vinyl is approximatly 96 lb/foot^3, and lead is approximatly 707.93 lb/foot^3, so yes lead would have more mass than MLV, but i never disputed that point.
blocking sound is best, attenuating it is kiddie stuff.
How can one block sound without attenuating the sound energy? Once again, lead does not have a magical property that allows it to be impervious to sound energy, no matter how much you want to think there is a perfect solution to this problem.
carpet padding is very lightweight normally, it would dampen sound, maybe take out some high notes "muffle" it, but wouldnt do very much. It would hinder Bounce, the annoying sounds generated.
I agree that carpet padding does not make a very good sound barrier.
"AT LAST! REAL LEAD! THE BEST! ACOUSTICAL DAMPING LEAD METAL SHEETING & Radiation BARRIER! An economical, extremely effective barrier to sound. It's the thinnest and most effective acoustical material known, so is good for installation in/on floors, walls and ceilings for maximum effect. They give this 1/64" foil material a rating of STC 21. It weighs 1 pound per square foot! Professionals apply it to walls, sheetrock/drywall panels with our heavy-duty adhesive. "
Where in this quote from
THE best sound proofing people out there
does it say that lead
is actually sound proof
?

I only see
extremely effective barrier
Edit: Thanks Rusty, i took a little bit of time writing this down because i wanted to make sure i did all my "research."

dano

Post by dano » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:39 pm

And to the original poster (just so this does not get too offtrack): It cannot hurt to put the foam into your case, as it is bound to absorb some sound. The only thing i can see that would go wrong is if it fell apart or began to dissolve, but this is not likely as it holds up pretty well under our carpets year in and year out.

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:29 am

A sandwich or laminate technique can give low $ soundproofing. Simply glue a layer of foam to the outside of a case,glue a layer of panelling/plywood/particleboard, 1/4" or 1/8",to that,then glue carpet to the whole. It is a bulkier alternative to a thin but pricey special mat or lead sheet. Use the construction adhesive that comes in caulk tubes,strong + cheap.

Whatever "soundproofing" is used,you still have airflow openings ,inlet,exhaust. These case openings will allow some sounds to escape. It is,of course possible to build a case,or heavily mod an old case, to have indirect inlet/exhaust paths with some baffle techniques

stupid

Post by stupid » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:15 pm

Sound does travel in waves. However, the more dense the medium is the easier and farther the sound can travel. Sound is created when molecules vibrate. These vibrations are transmitted from molecule to molecule, the more space in between the molecules, the less energy (vibrations) are transmitted. Also the further the sound the less energy is transmitted because of energy loss like heat.

Air is not very dense (that's a good thing unless you really want to be crushed) so sound does not travel very far compare to other mediums that are more dense. Water is denser than air so sound waves can travel very far, that's what makes passive and active sonars so good. Metal is an even denser medium who's molecules lines up in a crystaline maxtrix form. This gives metal it's strength, but because the molecules are organized in such a way it is a very good at transmitting sound, not to mention electricity at well.

It is important to note that a dense material can be sound proof or sound deadening, but it's molecules has to be in random order, not crystaline like in metal. This is why heavy foam is good, the material is dense, but because the molecules are in random order and there are small pockets of air in the foam sound is not easily transmitted.

Can lead be used to sound proof a computer? Yes, technically speaking lead can be used to muffle vibrations as long as it is thick enough, in fact anything can be uses to muffle sound as long as it is thick enough like using lots of papersheets. However, I for one would not want my side panels to weigh in at 5lbs each because they are lined with lead.