P180 case and soft mounting top fan

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Stephen

P180 case and soft mounting top fan

Post by Stephen » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:41 pm

Does anyone know how to soft mount the top fan in the Antec P180 case? There are only 2 screw holes. I have some soft mounts, but short of drilling two additional screw holes I'm at a loss as to how to soft mount the top fan.

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:29 pm

There is no good way to do it which is a pity as I can distinctly feel and hear (if I put my ear to the top of the case) vibrations transmitted from the top fan. I've tried several ways of softmounting the fan, but ultimately gave up because it's impossible without somehow modding the case. Potentially it can be done if you can straighten two clamps that hold the fan and drill holes in them to attach the fan with elastic strings. However that's too much work for me right now as I'm busy with school and I don't have time to completely dismantle my PC.

josephclemente

Post by josephclemente » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:13 pm

I have tried softmounting my Nexus fan at the top. Straightened the metal parts that previously held the fan and drilled holes.

For some reason, that top panel still vibrated no matter what materials I used (various rubber fan mounts, elastic cord, etc).

Now, the top is uncovered with no fan. I have a Nexus at the rear and another Nexus on my Ninja (I'm still deciding where to mount the Nexus on the Ninja - right now it is blowing towards the rear fan). This configuration seems to work better than having a passive Ninja and both of the Nexus fans used for exhaust.

gbeichho
Patron of SPCR

Post by gbeichho » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:05 pm

I have done almost the same thing. I have a Nexus fan in the back (hard mounted) with another Nexus blowing toward the back on my Ninja. I left the tri-cool mounted up top, but I'm closing the top port and never intend to use it. I'm actually using it to hook some wire to support the top of the ninja from putting any torsion on the MB if the case gets bumped around.

My temps are really cool with this config. I think you only really need the top port if you're using a flame throwing chip with a monster heat generating GPU. Otherwise, the rear 120mm is more than adequate to provide case venting. And all of the Nexus fans remain on the lowest setting.