Antec NSK2400 available?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

rightonbro

Antec NSK2400 available?

Post by rightonbro » Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:30 pm

Anyone know when the Antec NSK-2400 is going to be available? The press releases said March 1st. I checked Newegg, Mwave, and some other sites, and it's not to be found. If you search for "Antec NSK2400" on Google, you get product matches from some site I've never heard of (fadfusion.com), but when you click through, it says the case is out of stock.

I'm definitely looking forward to trying out this case for my HTPC - I've been looking for a case that is less than 6" tall, fits a microATX board, and accepts four full-height cards. (I know you can go with something like the Silverstones that require risers, but I need all four slots - video card, two tuners, and a wireless card).

The NSK-2400 looks like it might fit the bill, plus with the 120mm fans, it might make a pretty quiet setup.

Landroval

Post by Landroval » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:15 am

Where did you see a press release about the NSK-series? I saw only one for the Fusion.

veryevilmike

Post by veryevilmike » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:21 pm

australian distributor (altech) indicates that these are scheduled to land here mid may

AntecRep
-- Vendor --

Post by AntecRep » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:18 am

Should have already shipped some out from our Fremont, warehouse. However that only happened this week, so it'll take a bit more time before it shows up everywhere.

rightonbro

Post by rightonbro » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:30 am

Thanks AntecRep. I see it's now available at Newegg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811129014).

It'll be a few weeks before I can get to it, but I'm looking forward to converting my MythTV HTPC over to this case so I can put it in my TV stand!

marybutts

Post by marybutts » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:35 am

[quote="AntecRep"]Should have already shipped some out from our Fremont, warehouse. However that only happened this week, so it'll take a bit more time before it shows up everywhere.[/quote]

I ordered one from NewEgg last night.

I would like to mount a 3.5" memory card reader/writer in one of the external bays. Do you folks offer a floppy drive plate and mounting brackets for this case ?

AntecRep
-- Vendor --

Post by AntecRep » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:27 am

edit: sorry I'm an idiot and was looking at the wrong product page.

AFAIK we do not have an adapter kit for the 5.25" drive bays. I"ll double check though.

edit2: no mention in the last draft of the manual of an adapter. Which means it's unlikely that we have floppy adapters/drive covers that match the NSK2400.

eternizer

Post by eternizer » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:38 am

I heard the Fusion case would come with the neoHE 430 PSU. But I can't figure out which PSU is included in NSK2400. The description page just states it's ATX 380W PSU. Any info?

marybutts

Post by marybutts » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:40 pm

[Quote=eternizer]I heard the Fusion case would come with the neoHE 430 PSU. But I can't figure out which PSU is included in NSK2400. The description page just states it's ATX 380W PSU. Any info?[/quote]

I just got home from work and found my new NSK2400 sitting on my side porch (NewEgg shipped it in its' original box -- nice brightly colored invitation to a thief :evil: :evil: -- I am going to fire off a few blistering emails to NewEgg and UPS). I removed the top cover to take a look at the innerds , but I am unable to report any identifcation of the PSU at this time , as there are no labels visible.

I plan on building my new rig on Saturday and I will remove the PSU to examine it more closely--should be some FCC # on it somewhere . I shall post my findings at that time.

Initial impressions :

1) Heavy --- seems to weigh ~ 18-20 lbs.
2) Looks like an A/V device -- very plain , minimalistic design.
3)PSU wiring seems to be more than needed -- some sleeving/shrinktubing will be needed.
4) Cage for DVD drive(s) uses a tilt/slide screwless 4 pin mounting design that is held firm with two sponge rubber pads that touch the top of the case. Very elegant design.
5) Sturdy silicon rubbery feet.
6) Neat little 3 position microswitches for fanspeed control.

I will post more after I knock this thing together.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:44 am

marybutts wrote:
I just got home from work and found my new NSK2400 sitting on my side porch (NewEgg shipped it in its' original box -- nice brightly colored invitation to a thief :evil: :evil: -- I am going to fire off a few blistering emails to NewEgg and UPS)
FWIW, that's pretty much industry standard case shipping policy. I have had very few cases ever show up packed "box-in-box".

eternizer

Post by eternizer » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:17 pm

marybutts wrote:I plan on building my new rig on Saturday and I will remove the PSU to examine it more closely--should be some FCC # on it somewhere . I shall post my findings at that time.
Thanks, that would be great! :D

Also looking forward to reading SPCR's review of this case. I saw it in the list of upcoming reviews!

marybutts

Post by marybutts » Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:37 pm

[quote=eternizer][quote=marybutts]I plan on building my new rig on Saturday and I will remove the PSU to examine it more closely--should be some FCC # on it somewhere . I shall post my findings at that time.[/quote]Thanks, that would be great! :D

Also looking forward to reading SPCR's review of this case. I saw it in the list of upcoming reviews![/quote]

Sorry guys .

I removed the PSU from the case and took a pictures of it , but I screwed up and the pictures are illegible. Working from memory I think it said something like "RSU 380 ".

On a happier note , I put the new machine together today ( I am posting this message from it.. :D ).

It is an absolute JOY to work with.

High points...

1.) Space. This thing is very easy to move around in. I removed the external drive cage (very easy to do -- it just tilts up and slides out ) while assembleing . I know this sounds counterintuitive but I found that it made the job go smoother.

2.) HDD mounting sytem. Designed in such a way that the drives(2X max) hang vertically from two elongated screws that go thru squishy silicon grommets. SIMPLE. ELEGANT. VERY EFFECTIVE.

3.) External drive mounting system. Simple. Slide DVD player into cage , put 4 screws thru the side of cage , pop off plastic faceplate from front of case , reinsert cage to case , connect cables -- DONE .

4.) QUIET !! . I swithched the 3 position fancontrol microswitches to low and I have to put my head right next to the machine to hear it. The only thing that makes noise in this machine is a hacked NEC 3520A DVD burner that I removed RipLock from -- very loud when running -- certainly not Antec's fault.

Lows :

1.) Wiring is a pain in the A** !!!. Again not Antec's fault. I am using scavenged HDD + a DVD burner that both use ribbon cables( I know that I should use rounded cables--BUT-- I had a very bad experience with homemade rounded cables a few years ago). They are a real hassle to route thru the case. SATA cables will make everyones life a lot easier. SATA HDD's are ubiquitous , but the pickings are very slim with DVD/CD drives .

2.) Front Panel WIRING IS A PAIN IN THE A** !!! This rant IS Antec's + the computer industries' fault. WHEN IS A UNIVERSAL STANDARD GOING TO BE PUBLISHED FOR FRONT PANEL CONNECTORS ???? I have built 100+ computers over the last 15 years and I really enjoy it as a hobby , but the part that always gets my knickers in a bunch is these goddamn tiny connectors and poorly written pin diagrams.

specs: Antec NSK2400/MSI K8NGMS-FID/oem OPTERON 146/oem AMD4800X2 HSF/2X512 MUSHKIN PC3200/hacked NEC 3520a/160gbMAXTOR 7200.8

Landroval

Post by Landroval » Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:40 am

marybutts wrote:I removed the PSU from the case and took a pictures of it , but I screwed up and the pictures are illegible. Working from memory I think it said something like "RSU 380 ".
RSU 380? What's that? Although I dont care about the rest if it's quiet.
marybutts wrote:2.) Front Panel WIRING IS A PAIN IN THE A** !!! This rant IS Antec's + the computer industries' fault. WHEN IS A UNIVERSAL STANDARD GOING TO BE PUBLISHED FOR FRONT PANEL CONNECTORS ???? I have built 100+ computers over the last 15 years and I really enjoy it as a hobby , but the part that always gets my knickers in a bunch is these goddamn tiny connectors and poorly written pin diagrams.
Completely agree. I really dont understand why there cant be a standard for these.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:36 am

Über Smart Power 2 / NeoHE PSU crossing of doom?

Pierce

Post by Pierce » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:01 pm

do you think a new videocard like the 7900gt might fit in there or would that get to hot/close to other parts
planning my new rig (coming end of the year) with this case :roll:

eternizer

Post by eternizer » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:03 pm

Do you think AC Freezer 64 Pro will fit in this case? From the spec, it seems tight...

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:29 pm

I have a couple of questions for anyone who's working with this case -

In the bundle of wires leading to the front panel, what is the blue-and-white wire with the molex connector?

Is the front panel made of aluminum or plastic? Is it possible to remove the front panel from the case without damaging?

TIA,
DE

marybutts

Post by marybutts » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:38 pm

AFAICT--that Molex connector on the blue + white wires is for the reset switch . that is the only thing that I can figure.

The front panel is made of plastic.

I did not try to remove it , but I imagine that it is removable with out damaging the panel.

Jay_S
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Jay_S » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:47 pm

marybutts - have you had time to take new pictures?

Also - The front is silver. The 5.25 drive bays don't look like they have flip-down covers. I did a pretty light search but found nothing - does anyone know of any silver-faced optical drives?

Jay

macman

Post by macman » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:42 pm

Jay_S wrote:marybutts - have you had time to take new pictures?

Also - The front is silver. The 5.25 drive bays don't look like they have flip-down covers. I did a pretty light search but found nothing - does anyone know of any silver-faced optical drives?

Jay
The pioneer A11XL comes in silver as does the LG 4167BBS

marybutts

Post by marybutts » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:00 pm

Jay --I have not taken any more pictures. I do not know how to post them if I do. Any hints ?

The front covers DO NOT flip down. They are the pop off type. When your external drive is mounted , it sits flush with the face of the case. I have a Black NEC 3520a sitting in one of the bays and I think it looks pretty good -- the Black/Silver makes a nice contrast.

I have a 3.5" Linkskey (black) card reader/writer ready to go into the other bay.

I ordered one of these :

http://www.microcenter.com/single_produ ... _id=223387

I plan to paint the bezel black.

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:13 am

FYI - I figured out how to remove the front panel. There are three catches along the bottom edge that are accessible from inside the case, once the 5.25 cage is removed. Also there is one screw at the top middle of the panel, easily accessible from inside.

The blue and white wire goes thru a splitter and then to either side of the power button. Does the power button light up?

I am also planning to paint the front panel black.

Also, if you look closely at the inside of the front panel, you can see the cutouts where the volume knob and the VFD display will go on the Fusion. It would probably be easy to mod and add a VFD to the 2400.

DE

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:39 am

I assume the PSU fan blows out. I see small vents on the top and bottom, and on the left side. Not clear if there's a vent or not just behind the front panel. Question: do the two fans on the right side blow in or out?

Looks like a very carefully designed product, with some experience behind it. Is there a vertical microtower equivalent?

Jay_S
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Jay_S » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:18 am

macman wrote:The pioneer A11XL comes in silver as does the LG 4167BBS
Are these AU exclusive items? Google turns up mainly Australian sites.
[email protected] wrote:Also, if you look closely at the inside of the front panel, you can see the cutouts where the volume knob and the VFD display will go on the Fusion.
Strange. From the frostytech & futurelooks previews, I thought the Fusion was going to come with an actual aluminum front panel. Anyone? Also, the 5.25 bay covers on the fusion pics look different - one's a VFD and the other looks like a stealthed optical tray cover. Here's a good pic from an XYZ Computing article:
Those 5.25 drive openings are clearly different from the 2400's. Perhaps they both use the same plastic front panel (explains why both would have volume knob punch-outs), and the Fusion's is then clad/wrapped in aluminum?

Jay

Landroval

Post by Landroval » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:28 am

Jay_S wrote:Also - The front is silver. The 5.25 drive bays don't look like they have flip-down covers. I did a pretty light search but found nothing - does anyone know of any silver-faced optical drives?
In Finland we have atleast the following:

LG DVD+-RW DL 16 X BULK SILVER NERO GSA-H10ASBB
NEC ND-3550 DVD-RW 16X BULK SILVER 50029806
NEC ND-3551 DVD-RW16X SILVER LABEL PRINT 50030113
NEC ND-4570 DVD-RW 16X RAM 5X SILVER 50030648
NEC ND-4571 DVD-RW16X SILVER LAB.PRN RAM 50030652
SAMSUNG DVD+-RW DL BULK SILVER NERO SH-W162C/BESN
SONY DVD-RW BULK SILVER DL16X W/O S/W DWQ30ASV

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:58 am

We have a sample of the NSK2400 in the lab. This is the economy version of the Fusion. The difference between them is all visible on the front panel. The Fusion has a real brushed aluminum facia, VFD, big knob, maybe a stealthed CD cover. The NSK2400 has exactly the same steel chassis, but the front panel is made of plastic painted silver to make it look like metal. It is very convincing, btw. (Reminds me of the silver plastic finish on my old Nakamichi LX-5 cassette deck.) No stealthed covers, no VFD, no volume knob.

Different PSUs -- The NSK2400 has a 380W and the NSK2400 will have a 430W (I think) of the same type. No detachable output cables. This is yet another new line of PSUs from Antec with an 80mm fan. Hard to believe they'd risk yet another new PSU line after all the NeoHE troubles... Hopefully, they've learned whatever needed to be learned in that fiasco.

The NSK2400 prices is very nice -- just $99 MSP includes the PSU. That's gotta be just about the best HTPC case deal going out there, and it's one with the best cooling capability, as you'll find out in our review.

I know many readers are anxiously awaiting this review. We're getting to it, just bogged down with some massive projects and a backlog of reviews at the moment. Good things come to those who wait. As for those who can't, well, it's not that much $, not that big of a risk. ;)

macman

Post by macman » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:02 am

Jay_S wrote:
macman wrote:The pioneer A11XL comes in silver as does the LG 4167BBS
Are these AU exclusive items? Google turns up mainly Australian sites.
Could be - it would be a first :-)

I've ordered an NSK 2400 and an A11XLC (the silver variant) although I'm torn about whether black would look better. Both these items are on back order, so not really available yet in AU. ETA mid-May for case, no ETA for drive so maybe it does not really exist yet.

I found one other silver drive available:
http://global.shuttle.com/Product/Accessories/CR40.asp

Not sure of US availability.

Jay_S
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Jay_S » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:36 am

MikeC wrote:We have a sample of the NSK2400 in the lab.
I've been anxiously waiting for this one. Could you include a note on maximum CPU heatsink height? Like from mobo to inside top of case?

Jay

eternizer

Post by eternizer » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:03 am

MikeC wrote:Good things come to those who wait. As for those who can't, well, it's not that much $, not that big of a risk. ;)
Well, I couldn't wait and already ordered this and AC Freezer 64 Pro. If it doesn't fit, then I have to return it.
I mean the HSF, not the case~ :wink:

chirphappy

Post by chirphappy » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:46 am

Jay_S wrote:
I've been anxiously waiting for this one. Could you include a note on maximum CPU heatsink height? Like from mobo to inside top of case?

Jay
I'm interested in the response to Jay's question as well. More specifically, I will be receiving my NSK2400 tomorrow, and I would like to know if I should be placing an order for a Ninja, or if I should attach the XP-120 that I have laying around; or if there are any suggestions for a better suited cooler for the case. Furthermore, I currently have a notebook drive suspended with the NoiseMagic Novibes 2.5 suspension system, and I was wondering if I would be able to use this setup since the NSK uses a vertical orientation for the hard drives.