Antec P150: Back in Black? [called: Solo]

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Fri May 19, 2006 3:08 am

Nat wrote:I'd like to to know just how the dust filter prevents the invasion of Chile - the Antec developers are getting a little too clever, methinks... :lol:
Or, perhaps, the folks who wrote the translator program aren't clever enough? :wink:

ravenray

Post by ravenray » Fri May 19, 2006 9:49 am

OMG!!! :shock: *drool drool* Getting a bit ansy. Hopefully it'll be out soon.

Nat

Post by Nat » Fri May 19, 2006 12:14 pm

Felger Carbon wrote:
Nat wrote:I'd like to to know just how the dust filter prevents the invasion of Chile - the Antec developers are getting a little too clever, methinks... :lol:
Or, perhaps, the folks who wrote the translator program aren't clever enough? :wink:
Its a P150 and... wait for it... its Black!

;)

Well, I'm sold on it. I didn't buy a P150 because I didn't want to go to the trouble of trying to sell on a PSU with a design flaw... I'd rather have a white P150 as black absorbs heat, but a black'un will just have to do. :roll:

Goldmember

Post by Goldmember » Sat May 20, 2006 11:26 am

The SOLO MSRP is $109.95.
Antec wrote:Antec Expands Lifestyle series of PC enclosures with Launch of Solo
New case combines benefits of quiet computing with versatility for system builders

Fremont, CA - May 16, 2006 - Antec, Inc., the pioneering and leading global brand of high-performance computer components for the PC upgrade and Do-It-Yourself markets, has launched Solo, the newest case in its Lifestyle series. Featuring the latest innovations in noise reduction technology and a classic piano black finish, Solo is ideal for many computing environments.

All Lifestyle series cases are designed to enhance computing environments by being ultra-quiet. Noise reducing features make the cases appropriate for any area in the home, and their elegant and stylish appearance makes them attractive in any setting.

Solo accomodates any ATX12V form factor power supply, allowing it to be adapted for a wide range of computing needs and providing greater options for modification and upgrading. For maximum quietness, the case is designed for use with quiet PSUs such as Antec's Neo HE, Phantom or TruePower 2.0 to enhance the chassis' noise reducing features.

Solo was designed for silence and features sound-deadening dual-layer steel and plastic panels for overall noise reduction. The case comes with a dual hard drive mounting system including four removable hard disk drive (HDD) trays with extra soft silicone grommets to isolate vibrations. For even quieter performance, the drive trays can be removed and Antec's unique HDD suspension system can be used for up to three hard drives, eliminating direct contact and resultant noise between the drives and case structure.

The mounting system includes eight drive bays - four 5.25" bays and four 3.5" bays. Solo also comes with an Antec 120mm TriCool selectable-speed fan, which allows users to adjust the fan speed to their desired cooling level and quietness. The cooling system also includes two front fan mounts for optional 92mm fans to provide further cooling to the hard disk drive.

Additionally, Solo features a cable organizer to keep cables out of the way for improved airflow within the case, a removable side panel with easy-access thumb screws, a removable front bezel and a removable washable air filter. The chassis supports up to standard ATX motherboards and comes equipped with two USB 2.0 ports, one FireWire port and audio connectors for multimedia connections mounted on the front panel for convenience.

"With the launch of the new Solo case, Antec continues to lead the quiet computing revolution," said Scott Richards, Antec's senior vice president. "Solo was developed specifically to provide more design options for users by allowing them to choose the power supply most suited to their needs - all while maintaining the sleek appearance and quiet computing benefits of the Lifestyle series."

Solo is available for an estimated street price of $109.95 through major retailers, e-tailers and distributors. It is backed by Antec's Quality 3-Year Warranty. For additional product information and full technical specifications, please visit www.antec.com.

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Sat May 20, 2006 11:52 am

So the P150 with no PSU (Solo) has a MSRP of $110. At this moment, the P150 with a PSU goes for $114 at Newegg. One hopes the street price of the Solo will be less than $110. :D

korsch

Post by korsch » Sat May 20, 2006 1:07 pm

Felger Carbon wrote:So the P150 with no PSU (Solo) has a MSRP of $110. At this moment, the P150 with a PSU goes for $114 at Newegg. One hopes the street price of the Solo will be less than $110. :D
That black paint must be REALLY expensive. :o

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun May 21, 2006 8:56 am

Felger Carbon wrote:So the P150 with no PSU (Solo) has a MSRP of $110. At this moment, the P150 with a PSU goes for $114 at Newegg. One hopes the street price of the Solo will be less than $110. :D
The P150 may be selling at Newegg for $114, but it's MSRP is $179. I strongly suspect something similar will be happening with the Solo as well.

bendit

Post by bendit » Sun May 21, 2006 10:52 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:
The P150 may be selling at Newegg for $114, but it's MSRP is $179. I strongly suspect something similar will be happening with the Solo as well.
>>Solo is available for an estimated street price of $109.95 through major retailers, e-tailers and distributors. It is backed by Antec's Quality 3-Year Warranty. For additional product information and full technical specifications, please visit www.antec.com.

Antec is estimating street price here, not MSRP....

Goldmember

Post by Goldmember » Mon May 22, 2006 5:49 am

Hey Everyone,

Estimated street price is Antec's way of saying MSRP. I went back and looked at some older press releases and found the P150 to be $179, the P180 to be $159, and the Sonata II to be $129. As of this moment, you can get the P150 for $137, the P180 for $120, and the Sonata II for $115 from Newegg including shipping.

So we see how crazy the situation is. Prices can be $42 lower than MSRP for the P150 or only $14 lower than MSRP for the Sonata II. Time will tell where the SOLO will end up. Patient consumers usually get the hottest deals so please be patient. :wink:
korsch wrote:That black paint must be REALLY expensive. :o
LOL, I really doubt it. It will probably fade in about 6 months. :lol:

Take care everyone.

EasyRaider

Post by EasyRaider » Tue May 23, 2006 6:38 pm

What, no stealth covers? Damn, it's a no go for me then.

Oh well, what I really want is a bit more compact and cheaper P180. Just remove the top hole, the video card duct and the bottom fan. And maybe include a fan even quieter at the lowest setting.
Last edited by EasyRaider on Tue May 23, 2006 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EasyRaider

Post by EasyRaider » Tue May 23, 2006 6:40 pm

I'll just add one more thing to my P180 wish list: It would be nice if the PSU could be mounted at the top of the chamber. This could alleviate some cable length troubles, as well as possibly improving airflow for bottom intake PSUs.

Sgt_Strider

Post by Sgt_Strider » Wed May 24, 2006 8:00 pm

Sorry for being anal or anything, but this isn't completely black. IMO, the silver is destroyed what could have been the ultimate case.

Goldmember

Post by Goldmember » Sat May 27, 2006 4:42 am

Hi Everyone,

Page Computers has the SOLO in stock for $72.42 plus shipping. Over the next week or two we should see a lot more retailers get this case in stock. Enjoy.
Sgt_Strider wrote:...IMO, the silver is destroyed what could have been the ultimate case."
This is the Hans SOLO edition. If you want all black then you have to wait for the Anakin SOLO edition :twisted:. Just kidding dude!

Take care.

high5

Post by high5 » Sat May 27, 2006 5:46 am

thanks for the update, i was just about to ask about availability.

i hope we'll see it in Europe soon...

nina

Post by nina » Sat May 27, 2006 6:06 am

That's a good price!
The solo is now on Antec's site.
So I guess it will be available in Europe in the next weeks.

TheLongshot

Post by TheLongshot » Sun May 28, 2006 7:36 am

It is also being listed at AllStarShop for 88.95 (With some decent pictures too.)

http://www.allstarshop.com/shop/product.asp?pid=15470

Jason

gorjiam

I've got it!!

Post by gorjiam » Sun May 28, 2006 6:58 pm

Yes! I've finally got my paws on the Antec Solo and I've actually registered on the forum to blurt it out.
To those buying, the documentation included sucks. Please install your PSU before the motherboard. I don't know what I was thinking when I actually went to read and follow the instructions.

Sgt_Strider

Post by Sgt_Strider » Sun May 28, 2006 7:37 pm

Anyone here planning to use this case for water cooling?

Sohjen

Re: I've got it!!

Post by Sohjen » Sun May 28, 2006 7:52 pm

gorjiam wrote:Yes! I've finally got my paws on the Antec Solo and I've actually registered on the forum to blurt it out.
To those buying, the documentation included sucks. Please install your PSU before the motherboard. I don't know what I was thinking when I actually went to read and follow the instructions.
OO lucky! So how is the build quality and whatnot? And how glossy is the finish? Anxiously waiting to get one. 92mm fans otw, just waiting for a couple more etailers to start listing them.

gorjiam

Post by gorjiam » Mon May 29, 2006 3:29 am

To Sohjen,

Hi there, I find the build quality quite good, but had some trouble dealing with the DVD and FDD drive installation. The front bezel does not open more than 90 degrees and thus one have to remove it totally before installing/removing the optical drives. Thus, I've spend quite a bit time trying to align the drives :lol:
1 other issue is that the temps are higher than my previous 80mm fans infested Cheiftec case. That is expected and unaviodable as I only used the 120mm included. Otherwise, so far it's very silent (for me that is).
Please note that there's no speaker included in the casing. Some of you might find it useless, but frankly I would like to hear the "beep" or troubleshooting beeps of the bios when required.
Note: Those who have the Antec TruePower PSUs, do not connect the 120mm to the "fan only" molexes. As the molexes are already under volted, the fan will not work.

Goldmember

Post by Goldmember » Mon May 29, 2006 5:35 am

Let me start off by saying Happy Memorial Day to my fellow Americans :D. Never forget them.
http://www.usmemorialday.org/
http://www.historychannel.com/exhibits/ ... /index.jsp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorial_Day

Back on topic,

high5 and nina: I've been checking Span and Komplett to find some Solos for our European friends but had no luck. They may still be on a slow boat to Rotterdam. :) If it doesn't show up soon, then you might have to e-mail Antec Europe.

TheLongshot: Thanks for the link J. I also found it listed @ buy.com for $91.99. For our Australian friends, Techbuy.com.au has it listed for $144.65AU. I think the prices are going in the wrong direction but it's still early in the game.

gorjiam: Welcome to SPCR and congratulations you lucky bastard. :) I think you win the prize for the first SPCR SOLO. Where did you buy this? You may want to add at least one quiet, undervolted 92mm fan to cool the hard drive(s). If you look at these pics of a NSK4400 build, you will see that the black ODs do not match the black plastic of the NSK. Do you have the same situation :?: TIA.

Sgt_Strider: Maybe this Antec case mod thread over at hardocp will help you. They even put windows in their P150s :shock:. The SPCR General Gallery might help you too. The P180 would give you more room but I'm no WC expert.

gorjiam

Post by gorjiam » Mon May 29, 2006 8:07 am

Hi Goldmember,

I'm from Singapore, they only brought in a few "test" cases and I snapped the 1st and only one from the shop.
I'm using a silver pioneer DVD-RW and it matches the silver of the case quite well. After looking at your pic, I think silver ODs matches the case better as the Solo has a VERY glossy black. I don't think any ODs out there have that colour.

Edit: Went to re-read the P150 review to see if there's any difference. Besides the PSU, colour (duh) and lack of steath bays. I've noticed that the suspension mounting provided is different. The P150 featured is supplied with thick O-rings. What I had are something that looked like thin drive belts. Please note that as I am using the drive sleds, I didn't really took a close look and is too lazy to take a look now.
Last edited by gorjiam on Tue May 30, 2006 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sohjen

Post by Sohjen » Mon May 29, 2006 9:21 am

Methinks that Antec needs to to at least develop some optional stealth drive bay covers that we can purchase. Or even better start including some :P .

floffe

Post by floffe » Tue May 30, 2006 8:22 am

Actually, on the website they claim to do have drive covers, although it's not in the photos. Maybe it's just a case of copying too much stuff from the P150.
[quote="http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=18500"]8 Drive Bays (or 7 drive bays with Suspension Mount of the HDD)
- External: 4 x 5.25â€

floffe

Post by floffe » Tue May 30, 2006 10:05 am

After seeing that, I PM'd AntecRep, and just got the reply that there are no drive covers.

Sohjen

Post by Sohjen » Tue May 30, 2006 1:18 pm

Bah I say.

masumo

Post by masumo » Tue May 30, 2006 3:12 pm

Hi. Longtime lurker, first time poster here.

I figure I'd start out by posting some useful information: I emailed Antec about a release date for the Solo and got a reply of "at the end of next month". So people anxiously waiting for the Solo (i.e. me) are in for a wait.

This case has the features and aesthetics to replace my year-old Lian Li PC-7B PLUS. The aluminum build quality is excellent, but gets dented up too easily- I've got dings all over the place and have trouble taking out one of my drive covers. My PC is on the floor so the side window (which was never really my taste) is always one misstep away from shattering into pieces and into my foot.

But what is most important is acoustics- that's why we're all here, right? My case is fitted with Nexus fans and a Zalman 9500 and is far from loud, but it could be queiter. Do any of you with experience using a P150 (Solo's white predecessor) think I'll be able to hear any improvement using a Solo?

gorjiam

Post by gorjiam » Wed May 31, 2006 6:00 am

Using the Solo now. The harddisk noise is 90% gone but as my system runs a bit hot, I've set the 120mm to the High setting. Can hear the whoosh but I think it's acceptable.
Was using a big bad Chieftec (OEM Antec) with 3 80mms.

Sohjen

Post by Sohjen » Wed May 31, 2006 6:18 am

gorjiam wrote:Using the Solo now. The harddisk noise is 90% gone but as my system runs a bit hot, I've set the 120mm to the High setting. Can hear the whoosh but I think it's acceptable.
Did you put any 92mm fans on the front? Oh, and got any pics? Pics are always good :D.

Goldmember

Post by Goldmember » Wed May 31, 2006 6:39 am

Sohjen wrote:Methinks that Antec needs to to at least develop some optional stealth drive bay covers that we can purchase. Or even better start including some :P .

Yeah, who would have thought there would be so many shades of black. :)
floffe wrote:After seeing that, I PM'd AntecRep, and just got the reply that there are no drive covers.
Bah, thanks for the information.
masumo wrote:I figure I'd start out by posting some useful information: I emailed Antec about a release date for the Solo and got a reply of "at the end of next month". So people anxiously waiting for the Solo (i.e. me) are in for a wait...
Welcome to SPCR and thanks for the information. That stinks. :(
masumo wrote:...Do any of you with experience using a P150 (Solo's white predecessor) think I'll be able to hear any improvement using a Solo?

I don't own a P150, but you should notice less vibration and resonance noise due to steel's greater strength versus aluminum.
gorjiam wrote:I'm from Singapore, they only brought in a few "test" cases and I snapped the 1st and only one from the shop.
I'm using a silver pioneer DVD-RW and it matches the silver of the case quite well. After looking at your pic, I think silver ODs matches the case better as the Solo has a VERY glossy black. I don't think any ODs out there have that colour.
Glad you were able to grab one. :) Good to know about silver ODs. I totally forgot about those.
gorjiam wrote:Using the Solo now. The harddisk noise is 90% gone but as my system runs a bit hot, I've set the 120mm to the High setting. Can hear the whoosh but I think it's acceptable.

Hmm, I don't know why your temps are hot. You do live in toasty Singapore though :wink:. You could try to block off the rear lower right vents with tape or cardboardand see if that helps along with a 92mm intake fan. The P150 doesn't have the greatest airflow because Antec doesn't want noise to escape throught the front vents. But it's still good though. And interesting that they use different rubber bands now.

You can show off your new PC in the General Gallery if you want. We would love to see it if you don't mind. :)

Take care everyone.