Forget 120mm case fans....now 250mm.

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Forget 120mm case fans....now 250mm.

Post by Bluefront » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:20 am

Link

Lots of interesting features in this case.......

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Re: Forget 120mm case fans....now 250mm.

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:04 am

Bluefront wrote: Lots of interesting features in this case.......
Yeah, like the power supply mounted at the front of the case with it's exhaust fan blowing out the front bezel. Doesn't seem like a particularly good idea, from a low noise point of view. :)

qviri

Post by qviri » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:11 am

On the other hand, it opens up the possibilities of mods such as a PSU duct from the PCI slots the the PSU itself. If you don't have a power-hungry video card, the PSU will basically be getting ambient-temperature intake air. Kind of like P150, only the usually unused PCI slots don't add up to the height of the case :)

Unless you have a PSU with a 120 mm fan, of course...

Skylined

Post by Skylined » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:07 am

The only good thing about that case is that big fan, which can be done with any case that we already have.

IsaacKuo

Re: Forget 120mm case fans....now 250mm.

Post by IsaacKuo » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:13 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:
Bluefront wrote: Lots of interesting features in this case.......
Yeah, like the power supply mounted at the front of the case with it's exhaust fan blowing out the front bezel. Doesn't seem like a particularly good idea, from a low noise point of view. :)
You say that as if it really matters where the PSU is. There's this rather large noise window on the side of the case. ;)

Still, I find this case rather interesting. With the equivalent of FOUR 120mm intake fans, I think you could simply remove any PSU fan and the PSU will receive sufficient airflow despite the many other exhaust openings.

My main beef, though, is that this immense amount of airflow only seems appropriate for a high power computer, and that means a lot of CPU heat. I don't see an elegant way to duct CPU heat out of the computer, though, so that means warming up the whole case with CPU heat.

Hmm...

...unless the side fan is flipped, turning it into a huge exhaust fan...

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:57 am

You guys are starting to think like me. :lol: How about a dual-purpose machine? We construct an enclosure the size of the left side panel, about 4-5 inches thick. It will have a HEPA filter that slides in from the rear, covering most of the side. It'll have a louvered panel on the outside, with the louvers facing the rear, deflecting some noise away fron the front.

We now have a combo/computer-room air filtration system. Not bad....it'll work. Patent the idea..... :lol:

Mike_P

Post by Mike_P » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:17 am

We measured noise coming from the PC by placing a dBa meter roughly 75cm away from the case while the fan is enabled. We measured a below 40 DBa results which is absolutely fantastic
LMAO! uh NO.

McBanjo

Post by McBanjo » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:05 am

Mike_P wrote:
We measured noise coming from the PC by placing a dBa meter roughly 75cm away from the case while the fan is enabled. We measured a below 40 DBa results which is absolutely fantastic
LMAO! uh NO.
That seems to depend on ambient noise. Madshrimps had about the same noise-lvl when they tested and Nexus at 12V got 41.1dB.
If SPCR would measure it then that big fan might end up with 23-25dB or something.
I don't know for sure but thats how I think it works :-)