Antec P180 or Gigabyte Aurora?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Brodel

Antec P180 or Gigabyte Aurora?

Post by Brodel » Sun May 28, 2006 5:49 am

Hey

I've been looking at getting a new case for a while now, initially I had decided to do water cooling and buy a really cheap case but then I realised most cases big enough for water cooling are pretty pricey. I've decided to do it in stages and possibly stick with air if I find it does a good enough job.

I basically want a silent case with good cooling BUT might want the option of water later down the road. The P180 looks like a good case but it seems difficult to fit water cooling into if I do decide to do that later down the road.
The Aurora on the other hand is much more suited to watercooling but I'm not sure how quiet it is on air compared to the P180.

Does anyone have experience of both cases, or have other cases I should look at? I'm at the top of my budget with the Aurora so nothing more expensive.

thanks in advance

Brodel

Post by Brodel » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:28 am

any opinions? I've been trying to make my mind up for the last week but it's not happening.

whoatethepies

Post by whoatethepies » Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:19 am

I'd say the Aurora. It may not be as quiet, but so long as its bearable it should do until you move to water. If you got the P180 then you'd stuggle to fit all the watercooling parts, and at the cost of a good watercooling kit it seems a little counter-productive. At the end of the day, so long as you stick with watercooling once you switch, you'll get better use out of the Aurora in my opinion.

kogi

Post by kogi » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:07 am

Antec Titan?

roadie

Post by roadie » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:11 am

See this thread that will give you some details on the Aurora:

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=28831

I have one and I like the design and build quality but it does pick up an awful lot of resonance from hard drives. I reckon that's its only fault really and I will be trying to suspend and/or dampen my hard drives more succesfully in the near future.

Brodel

Post by Brodel » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:44 am

roadie wrote:See this thread that will give you some details on the Aurora:

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=28831

I have one and I like the design and build quality but it does pick up an awful lot of resonance from hard drives. I reckon that's its only fault really and I will be trying to suspend and/or dampen my hard drives more succesfully in the near future.
thanks for the link :)

Yea, the main noise seems to come from HD's from what I've read online. I was thinking of trying to hang them with some stretch magic... looks like it should be fairly straight forward.