Replacement Power Switch Warning.....

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Replacement Power Switch Warning.....

Post by Bluefront » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:13 pm

A while back there was a post asking about a replacment power switch for a computer case. I mentioned a momentary on switch from Radio Shack. That works. Somebody mentioned a doorbell switch (also a monentary on switch). That should also work.....however.

I bought a nice-looking simple doorbell switch for my new project. Drilled a hole, wired it up....didn't work. When I checked it with a VOM, the switch was always on. So I thought it was N/G. Got another one...same result. WTF....

So I took the switch apart and found it was a lighted switch....even though the packsge didn't say so. That sort of doorbell switch (it still has only two wires) will not work in a computer as a power switch. It passes some current at all times. The fix was easy....I snipped off the little bulb. Now this doorbell switch will start my computer..... :D

justblair

Post by justblair » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:46 pm

My favourite is the catchingly titled

brushed stainless steel, flush fitting vandal resistant, waterproof momentary contact door entry push button switch (16mm panel aperature) that I got from Farnell...

No problems with them or any other door entry switches that i know of.

You can just make them out here. Though they were about 6.50 GBP which is the most expensive switch I saw on my trek for the perfect button.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:25 pm

Arggg....is that one of the awful, noisy, aluminum cases that get bad-mouthed around here all the time? Why I can hear the aluminum humming from here.....for shame! :lol:

justblair

Post by justblair » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:49 pm

lol...

No Blue, thats most certainly not my case you hear humming! Must be my feet doing the humming...

The drive bays though are alu.. Lian Li ones cause they look good. (my goodness though they come at premium prices though)

The case is a cheapo steel one, butchered to buggery for passive operation.

Though the double u bars are alu as well.

I did post a WIP, cant believe you didn't read it! :shock:

My pc-playstation 2 hybrid

I need to update it though, cause I have ripped the front panel off and started again, this time with a 5'tft screen running status info, the LCD screen just wasn't perfect for me. More on that soon. Ordered some bits and pieces I need to get the screen running just right.

theyangster

Post by theyangster » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:50 pm

I recently acquired a lot of REED switches.

They are:
"The reed switch is an electrical switch operated by an applied magnetic field. It was invented at Bell Telephone Laboratories in 1936 by W. B. Elwood. It consists of a pair of contacts on ferrous metal reeds in a hermetically sealed glass envelope. The contacts may be normally open, closing when a magnetic field is present, or normally closed and opening when a magnetic field is applied." - wikipedia

fun stuff, I going to see if it works as a pc switch

justblair

Post by justblair » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:09 pm

I'd be interested in knowing how you intend to use a reed switch.

I have seen them used on modded boxes to activate lighting when a case front door is opened. But my limited imagination is floundering as to how you would use one for a pc switch.

oh no, I have one idea. Use one which closes when the magnetic field is present, then install a small magnet in a key fob. With the reed switch hidden behind a plastic facia, you would have apparently switchless starting of the pc. Very stealth....

Maybe my imagination isn't that bad for a 33 year old. Thought it had died at 30!

But go on, enlighten me to your ideas?
(probably better than mine)

theyangster

Post by theyangster » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:31 pm

well, my idea was to mount it somewhere in the front bezel of my SLK3700AMB. (has to be behind something non-metallic)

my understanding of a regular pc switch is that it is a momentary switch, right?

so basically I would sweep a magnet over it, so that it would contact (close the circuit) for a second or two and once I remove the magnet, the reed goes back to an open circuit. This would work right? :lol:

As an added bonus no one else would be able to start the pc without knowing where the reed swtich is! :P (of course they could open the pc, but it'd stump them for a while... :wink: )

cAPSLOCK

Post by cAPSLOCK » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:55 am

I also find the vandal proof switches to be the coolest out there, I'll be buying this one for my wood case (that's going to be painted black, I probably would have taken another switch had I intended leaving the wood the natural colour):
It's really expensive though, the equivalent of 20$ ! :shock: Oh well.

For the reed switch mod, sounds real slick, but if you can turn it on by passing a magnet by it, you can also [accidentally] turn it off. Don't put it too close to CRT's or speakers, and don't invite me over to your place, since I have sandals that have powerful magnets in them (as a closing mechanism) :lol: :lol:

justblair

Post by justblair » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:13 am

Thats the one I ordered online (more or less). However the design I recieved was slightly different. The push bit wasnt quite flat. However It turned out I liked the ones I got, so I never RMA'd them.

Hopefully I will get my switch assembly for my current project sorted out this weekend. I have an idea that will be uber cool if it works, but I dont want to say to much in case its a flop... More soon.

Where did my life go wrong... I used to be preoccupied with fast cars, fast women and alchohol.... Now switches turn me on! (Worst pun today)

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:56 am

I really don't want to mail-order a button, but all the local hardware stores were not much help. I need a rather flat button to fit under this door. Here's what I could find......there was another with a gold finish that looked better for $25. This one cost $3.50. :)

theyangster

Post by theyangster » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:39 pm

nice soldered? title :)

I got my switch to work, I stripped of the HDD LED line and soldered the two leads together, covered it up with electrical tape and mounted it right next to the original switch 8). works fine so far.

About the accidently shutting it off, it usually takes it 8 sec of holding original power switch down to shut it off, I'd imagine it'd be the same.

cAPSLOCK- let me get this straight, you have magnets in your sandals (houseshoes?) and walk around switch things off and on with your sandals? :lol:

cAPSLOCK

Post by cAPSLOCK » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:25 am

theyangster wrote:cAPSLOCK- let me get this straight, you have magnets in your sandals (houseshoes?) and walk around switch things off and on with your sandals? :lol:
The main disadvantage of internet communication is that I can't hear the tone of your voice to see if you're joking or if you're serious :lol:

Most sandals have a strap to close, sometimes it uses velcro, sometimes a buckle or a snap button or whatever. Mine close with magnets. I was just saying that if you have a reed switch in your computer to turn it on and off, I might accidentally switch your PC on and off.

[OT]I wear sandals all the time in summer, and don't think it's a european thing, most of my friends wear closed shoes. Why haven't people figured out that sandals are so much more comfortable in hot weather, and they help prevent foot illnesses like athletes foot and other mushroom thingies that grow in warm humid closed shoes.[/OT]

For some more stuff concerning computers switching on and off, The Register had an arcticle on the subject.

justblair

Post by justblair » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:39 am

Yangster.. Is that the reed switch your talking about? Glad to hear it works..

Didn't really doubt it would.

Now for the fun bit, you out with the bondo then to fill in the power switch?

Updated my project now, but that reed switch idea has been playing on my mind. I'm starting to think about using one on my own system. I could mount the magnet in the MCE remote. Then wave it over the front panel to activate the machine... hmmm

Oh hang on.. wake on usb would make more sense! doh

theyangster

Post by theyangster » Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:09 am

cAPSLOCK wrote: The main disadvantage of internet communication is that I can't hear the tone of your voice to see if you're joking or if you're serious :lol:

Most sandals have a strap to close, sometimes it uses velcro, sometimes a buckle or a snap button or whatever. Mine close with magnets. I was just saying that if you have a reed switch in your computer to turn it on and off, I might accidentally switch your PC on and off.

[OT]I wear sandals all the time in summer, and don't think it's a european thing, most of my friends wear closed shoes. Why haven't people figured out that sandals are so much more comfortable in hot weather, and they help prevent foot illnesses like athletes foot and other mushroom thingies that grow in warm humid closed shoes.[/OT]
partly joking 8)

also, since my pc is on a desk and behind the bezel door, it'd look quite interesting to you try and turn on my pc. (plus, you don't know where I live :evil: )

[OT] I also wear sandals (flip-flops) during the summer and have accquired a nice little white V (from the straps) because the rest of the foot has tanned. I'd take pics, but.... :lol: [OT]
justblair wrote:Yangster.. Is that the reed switch your talking about? Glad to hear it works..

Didn't really doubt it would.

Now for the fun bit, you out with the bondo then to fill in the power switch?

Updated my project now, but that reed switch idea has been playing on my mind. I'm starting to think about using one on my own system. I could mount the magnet in the MCE remote. Then wave it over the front panel to activate the machine... hmmm
how many examples of my crazy ideas that I've proved you all wrong? :P
j/k

nah, I left the original switch there for kicks :lol:

now if you implanted a magnet in you hand, you could wave you hand over the reed switch ala jedi mind trick style, now THAT would be cool :lol:

InMused

Post by InMused » Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:23 pm

theyangster wrote:now if you implanted a magnet in you hand, you could wave you hand over the reed switch ala jedi mind trick style, now THAT would be cool :lol:
How about a magnetic ring perhaps :?:

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:04 am

If the object is simply to stealth the power switch, making it difficult for someone other than the owner, to start the computer......there are plenty of ways to do so. My objection to the magnet-type switch, is that you must have the magnet in your hand to work the switch. Too much trouble for me.

I'd prefer to build a normal switch into the computer that is hidden somehow. One I made recently uses a small surface mount switch mounted directly behind a panel that has a slight bit of flex at that point. I push in at that spot, and the computer starts. The disadvantage is that eventually that spot can show wear, making it obvious. So I had to use a spot that didn't show very well.

There are countless ways to hide a small switch.....