Antec Solo issues...

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

rav

Antec Solo issues...

Post by rav » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:08 am

Hi, I just picked up an Antec Solo case and some Nexus fans and have run into a couple snags.

I tried to mount the fans with some rubber mounts...but it didn't go so well :)

When I went to mount the rear 120mm fan, the mounts just pulled right through...I did hear about this problem with the P150 but thought they had fixed it in the Solo. I imagine I'll need to use a gasket instead..?

The second problem is with the front fans. The (closed corner) rubber mounts I got just...suck. Their extremely hard/rigid...I couldn't even attach them to the case without shredding the sides off :/ So what I was going to do is purchase some softer ones (AcoustiProducts) instead. However, the top fan hole is *extremely* close to the side of the fan cage...and I'm a little concerned that the softer mounts are going to have too much play in them and cause the fan to vibrate against it...

Also, how do the Vantec gaskets compare to AcoustiProduct's gaskets? Thanks.

RAFH

Post by RAFH » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:10 am

I made some gaskets out of double stick felt pads and then used plastic screws and nuts and silicon washers where the screw head bears on the frame. No vibration whatsoever.

roadie

Post by roadie » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:46 am

I had no problem mounting my fans using the Acousti Ultra Soft Fan Mounts. However, the fans I mounted were not closed corner ones.

rav

Post by rav » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:52 am

Ok I tried mounting the rear 120mm fan again, it worked (yay!). Once you get all four in, the two slotted screw holes aren't a problem. I also ordered some acousti mounts for the front fans (the mounts I got for open corner fans are just too hard). If those don't work out i'll try making somes gaskets like you did rafh.

Thanks all