Which budget midtower?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Nino_fs

Which budget midtower?

Post by Nino_fs » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:36 pm

I am looking for a case to use in a new build. I would prefer to get a case with no PSU as I want to use the Antect NeoHE 430. I looked at the P180 but felt it was too big for my use. I don't need much space because I won't be putting alot of components in the case. So something around the mid tower size would be good.

I have also looked at the P150 and it looks like a good case but I don't think it looks that nice and this computer will be in my bedroom so I will have to look at it often and wouldn't mind something that has less of a 90's beige computer case feel to it.

With that in mind I have been looking at different cases and have a few ideas. I live in Canada and want to buy a case from a retailer in this country to avoid and charges when crossing the boarder. And price does matter since I am trying to stick to a tight budget. I would prefer to keep the case below $90 Canadian.

Cooler Master Mystique 632 available in steel or aluminium.
http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/Products.aspx?pid=1248
This one costs more than I would like but I really like the look of it so I put it in here.

Cooler Master Elite 330 steel construction
http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/Products.aspx?pid=1250

Thermaltake Soprano Vx steel
http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/product/C ... 000bns.asp

All of those cases have the vents on the sides but I would just plug them up since I plan to put foam insulation on the inside of whatever case I use.

There are a few things I am worried about. The Cooler Master cases all have meshed front panels which would be great for airflow but I imagine them leaking sound very bad. The Mystique case has those weird sliding covers which I like the look of and I think that those would cut down on the sound which leaks out the front bezel.

If anyone has any comments on these cases I would love to hear them. Also if you can think of a better case list it. My prefered place to shop is www.memoryexpress.com but I will need to order the PSU from www.ncix.com so that is another possibility. I really don't know of any other stores worth checking in Canada.

BrianE

Post by BrianE » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:19 pm

Personally I think the Mystique 632 looks the best - nice enough that if it were me, I would be very tempted to buy it and drill out the rivets for the 90 degree rotated drive cage, which is its only failing. Yes, it makes drives easy to handle, but it also blocks airflow. Coolermaster has some extremely nice looking cases. The TT case is my second pick because of its mirror finish. I don't see that much difference between the cases otherwise, since none seem to offer any tricks or features like the P150 does.

Other than that, I would have to agree about mesh being a negative thing unless you cover it with hard materials and foam. My brother has a Tisonic Breeze case which, as the name suggests, is supposedly very free breathing because it is almost all mesh. The challenge of silencing such a computer (I never truly did) is that you have to really quiet things down because the case isn't going to help you!

At first I read the thread title and was going to suggest one of the older, black Antec cases, but they are very plain looking. :P

Felger Carbon

Re: Which budget midtower?

Post by Felger Carbon » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:59 pm

Nino_fs wrote:All of those cases have the vents on the sides but I would just plug them up since I plan to put foam insulation on the inside of whatever case I use.
I'm puzzled. You obviously recognize that a lot of airflow thru the front bezel also means a lot of sound coming out of the bezel, and yet you're gonna seal the side panel(s). How did you plan to cool this thing?

Nino_fs

Post by Nino_fs » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:59 pm

Well the side panels are worse for noise than the front bezel since they are closer to the noise sources(CPU and VGA) and offer a more direct path for air to follow.

I am torn because I don't really like the look of the P150 but it is so much better for noise which is a big complaint I have with my current pc. If there are any other good options for a quiet yet nice looking case please let me know.

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:55 am

Nino_fs wrote:Well the side panels are worse for noise than the front bezel since they are closer to the noise sources(CPU and VGA) and offer a more direct path for air to follow.
And with the case sitting to the right of your keyboard, there's a direct path to your ear from the left side panel's CAG. But if you place the case on the left of the keyboard/monitor, that direct path no longer exists and your computer gets a lot quieter without having to buy anything! :D

That lets you use the left side openings for all your cooling, so you can block the front bezel noise openings.

Nino_fs

Post by Nino_fs » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:16 am

Unfortunately my case currently sits to my right. I have been thinking about moving it into a nice little spot I have over to my left but I am not sure my mouse cord will reach. If it does then I will move it over if not well then I need a new plan.

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:54 am

Yep, all little mousies have cords that will reach fine. Assuming you have an LCD monitor, what you want to do is place the case so it sits about a sixteenth of an inch - as close as you can get it without touching - from the monitor. That way the monitor is an additional impediment to fan noise coming at you from the rear exhaust port. This even further reduces noise, and it doesn't cost anything either.

Except for the licensing fee for the patents I have on this technique. Your bill will be arriving shortly via USPS! :D

Nino_fs

Post by Nino_fs » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:50 am

I keep my pc on the floor next to my desk so that is why I am worried about not having enough cord. The differences in distance the cord would have to go for my mouse is pretty significant and so I will have to check.

Nino_fs

Post by Nino_fs » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:09 pm

I just found an interesting case and would like to know everyones thoughts on it.

http://www.nexustek.nl/istyle.htm

stromgald

Post by stromgald » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:46 pm

Nino_fs wrote:I just found an interesting case and would like to know everyones thoughts on it.

http://www.nexustek.nl/istyle.htm
Um, where's the intakes on that thing? Also, that rear exhaust fan area looks constricted and weird. I think this follows the Nexus TNN (totally no noise) case philosophy. It closes up all air pathways to reduce noise from getting out. This also obviously causes overheating. The TNN cases work because of their insane heatpipe cooling. Don't bother looking them up because they're outside of just about everyone's price range.

If you want a more stylish case than the P150 or SOLO, I'd suggest a Cooler Master Centurion 5. It has a 120mm exhaust and pretty good airflow. Having a bezel that is too open can be a problem, but IMO, it just allows you to use quieter components which will keep the noise level low.

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:29 pm

Nino_fs wrote:I keep my pc on the floor next to my desk...
Have you considered, strictly for temporary test purposes, placing the case to your left on top of the desk? This is a more convenient location for testing purposes - including to accommodate your mouse.