Antec Fusion owners! Space behind VFD usable for hdd thing?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

jd777

Antec Fusion owners! Space behind VFD usable for hdd thing?

Post by jd777 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:46 am

Hi all,

I'm considering moving from an Accent (now Arisetec?) HT101 to an Antec Fusion for the improved cooling...

Now, I have my 3.5" hdd in a "silence box" contraption - basically a soundproofed box for a 3.5" hdd that fits in a 5.25" drive bay. Don't seem to see these on sale these days, but I got it, it works well and I like it :)

Does anyone know if I could slot this in the Fusion's drive cage, the upper bay? From pics I've seen looks like I could do this, as the drive bay is to all intents empty and I don't need front access for this thing.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks,

JD

brucesm

Post by brucesm » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:41 am

just wondering if anyone has used the second Antec Fusion bay for a quiet drive bay?
I would like to add a Scythe Quiet Drive to that space. A third hdd and a quiet main drive, it wouold be great...
anyone tried to fit one?

brucesm

Post by brucesm » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:38 am

To answer my own question.

YES. It is possible to fit a Scythe Quiet Drive in the second 5.25 bay in an Antec Fusion Case.
I mounted mine back a hole to give a gap between the VFD and the Quiet Drive.
This means the Quite Drive is about 6cm beyond the cage. In this position it blocks no air intakes. There are a few centimeters between the case and my Seasonic PSU for cabling, a bit tight, but workable.
WD GP boot drive is now almost totlally silient in there, and I can now have 3TB in the case....

potsy

Post by potsy » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:17 pm

Hi Brucesm, thanks for posting, its nice to know the Scythe Quiet Drive fits, I reckon I'll be using that info in the future! I'm guessing you wouldn't get much airflow in the 5.25 bay because its in that separate section with the psu. How are your HDD temps?
Potsy

Telamon
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Telamon » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:34 am

I'm curious to know the temps for an HDD in that configuration too. I've added a second 3.5" data drive to my NSK 2400 leaving my WD Scorpio 2.5" OS drive looking for a home. It being a cooler unit I'm tempted to just rest it on a bed of foam in the lower section of the 5.25" bay and forget about it.

felix_w

Post by felix_w » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:21 am

I have installed a Samsung HD401LJ drive behind the VFD on my Antec Fusion. The drive is mounted on a Chill-Innovation HDD kit (pdf Datasheet), instead of a simple 3.5" to 5.25" adapter.
Drive temp is 38C, because of minimal ventilation. The case is in a wooden rack below other devices and side clearance is 8mm...

Anyone with this Antec case can install a drive behind the VFD screen, but should notice that the vfd extends in the back (has something like a plastic cover), so as said by brucesm, you have to mount it a hole back , unless u use something like i used.

I am planning a PSU change for my case.I will install a Corsair VX450, so i expect the temps of the HDD to fall, due to the improved ventilation by the PSU's 12cm fan.[/list]

brucesm

Post by brucesm » Tue May 13, 2008 3:24 am

My HDD temp is 36 degrees idle (it is the os Drive).
Goes up a few degrees under load, but stays below 40.
Airflow is minimal, but I am using the low power/heat WD GP drive.
note PSU has been changed to Seasonic S12 550 in my build...
(sorry for the slow reply, forgot to subscribe to the thread.)