P180B top fan

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Ligushka

P180B top fan

Post by Ligushka » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:43 pm

I've got a P180B with this setup:

AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.4 GHZ (stock 1.8ghz), 2x1MB L2 cache
DFI Lanparty UT nF4 Ultra-D
4x512MB Crucial Ballistix 2.5-3-3-8 2T RAM
BFG Tech GeForce 7900GS
M-Audio Delta 410
WD 2500KS 250GB 16MB cache SATA2 7200RPM + Maxtor 200GB IDE
OCZ 520W ModStream modular PSU

The motherboard layout is slightly different; the CPU socket is more in the center of the board, and the RAM slots are where a CPU would generally be. Here's a picture.

I'm wondering whether I should have my top fan act as an intake fan, and leave the rear fan as an exhaust? This would cause a sort of isolated airflow for the CPU and RAM, instead of having simple exhausts.

I should have removed the bottom chamber fan; considering my modular PSU's cables are relatively thick and stiff compared to the traditional PSUs, the cabling isn't exactly as perfect as I'd want. Perhaps I should remove the bottom chamber fan, seal off the vents around the PSU with electrical tape and have the PSU cool the entire chamber? The PSU fan faces upwards, and I've removed the fan grille (there was a slight high-pitched whine with the fan grille installed) for slightly better airflow.

If I remove the bottom chamber fan, would it be wise to place this fan as an intake for the top chamber? I've removed the top filter because it's pretty high off the ground, so not much dust would come that way. Assuming I put in the fan, should I place the filter back on?

dangman4ever

Post by dangman4ever » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:33 pm

I say try it out and see for yourself. When I turned the top fan into an intake, my CPU temps dropped 2-3C, 4C lower if I removed the fan cover.