Wooden case ideas

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Chris Chan

Wooden case ideas

Post by Chris Chan » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:44 pm

I thought up a tall wooden case today. It's like 360mm deep by 640mm tall by 200mm wide; I'd like your thoughts on it. It has bottom-to-top ventilation.

http://crazytales.nonlogic.org/images/WIPcase.jpg
crappily annotated SketchUp screenie; it's 10pm and I couldn't be bothered to do anything better

http://crazytales.nonlogic.org/images/WIPcase.skp
SketchUp file; 10MB

A few things I forgot to put in the annotation:
it has all spare slots open for exhaust
totally closed front panel
120mm PSU exhausting out the top (this means top-exiting IEC lead)
top-loading DVD burner is not an error

poke me if I forgot to ecplain anything; this is late for me and my mind if not functioning properly.S

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:49 am

Pretty cool. Some internal padding will cut echo/bounce.

I like the bottom intake chamber. I'm surprised that's not done a lot more.

Are the HDDs in the area below the DVD? If not you may want the front fan's aiflow deflected toward the mobo. However-The HDDs could serve to deflect air that way

This is not a real intricate design but it's effective. In a low heat rig those fans could be run very slow. This could be a nice layout for a fanless PSU by semi-isolating the PSU so air flows through and out-but it does not put heat into the case.

Allowing a bit of extra width-one of the new big Antecs could bottom mount,which for a good "SPCR" type rig could be the only fan in the unit.

Chris Chan

Post by Chris Chan » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:47 am

The HDD will be either below the DVD drive or at the top of the case between it and the PSU. Putting it at the top would allow for a more direct noise path through the top vent, which is a bad thing since it's a 40GB Western Digital ball-bearing model. Whines like a bitch. So it'll probably end up below the DVD drive. near the front of the case.

The components housed inside will be medium-heat - P4 Northwood 2.8GHz/845G full ATX board/FX5200/one HDD/one DVD drive/one 5.25" bay card reader. This has absolutely no correlation with what components are in the model (DFI nF2 board/X800/etc).

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:51 am

You've placed the processor at the "start" of the airflow chain, meaning that CPU warmed air will be cooling other components. This is not really a good idea. If you flip your layout upside-down, then CPU warmed air will immediately leave the case, and the PSU will receive cool fresh air. An efficient PSU won't heat up the air too much, so air from the PSU can be used to cool other components.

Chris Chan

Post by Chris Chan » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:25 am

Hmm, so my original idea was more on-base, especially since my CPU is the component in this case that produces the most heat! Also, how thick of a material should I build the case from? The SketchUp model was constructed under the assumption of 10mm.