Thermalright Ultra-120s into P150 | Solo | Designer cases?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Gator

Thermalright Ultra-120s into P150 | Solo | Designer cases?

Post by Gator » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:28 pm

To judge from some of the photo's posted here and in the Gallery forum, it is possible to use a Thermalright Ultra-120x HSF in a P150 / Solo / Sonata-Designer type case... however the photo's beg one question:

I assume that one must assemble the Ultra-120x with its bolt-through backplate kit onto the motherboard outside of the case, and then install the entire motherboard, HSF and all into the case as a unit, but how in the heck does one manage to "do the limbo" to shoe-horn that monster HSF into place UNDERNEATH that dang crossbar the P150 / Solo / Designer cases have right below the PSU? :roll:

Is there some "trick" involved, or is it just a bit of "manuevering" to get it there? :D

I am ruminating the possibility of assembling a quad-core Q6600 on Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 Rev 2.0 based system, using a Thermalright Ultra-120X into a Solo case, and was hoping to find out just how "tight" a fit such a beast would be?

Any experience, observations, suggestions welcome... :)

ame

Post by ame » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:52 am

I'v got the ultima 90 wich is the same width but slightly shorter otherwize pretty similar setup, fits easy :)
120 fan lines up perfectly with the exaust fan (Gigabyte P35 Mboard)

sun.moon

Post by sun.moon » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:24 am

I put the Ultra 120 in my Solo without any special manuevering required, on an Asus P5B Plus. It all fit together nicely. The cross bar was no issue. I'm happy with the setup.

sun.moon