AcoustiPack for Antec SOLO?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Dave_G

AcoustiPack for Antec SOLO?

Post by Dave_G » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:32 pm

Hi,

I'm about to build a quiet Linux workhorse PC - an update of the SPCR Model 1. Before I buy the bits and start construction I thought I'd ask...

1. Is the stock panel damping in the Antec SOLO (P150, Designer etc.) good enough on it's own?

2. How easy is it to replace (or cover) with AcoustiPack Deluxe?

Thanks in advance,

Dave G.

Eiffel

Post by Eiffel » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:41 pm

I didn't try using my P150 case without adding the AcoustiPack foam first, but there is nothing that prevents you from checking if the Solo/P150 is good enough for you as is.

My guess is that, if all your components are quiet (fanless CPU cooler, video card, etc), the AcoustiPack will make only a marginal difference (see the SPCR test for details)

The Acoustipack foam can be added at a later stage (yes, you may want to uninstall a few components for ease of access, but this is a simple job).

colin2

Post by colin2 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:32 am

The Solo's damping looks like adhesive vinyl, not real thick but enough to stop large steel panels ringing. It won't do for you whatever foam does for you, but adding foam should be a cinch.

Torajirou

Post by Torajirou » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:32 pm

1. I don't really think the stock damping is really useful. Probably better than nothing, but it won't make a huge difference.
2. Dampening a Solo with AcoustiPack Deluxe is really easy. I'm not a DIY-guy at all, but I had no problem. Don't try to rip off the existing damping, just cover it with your AcoustiPack.

Enjoy your Solo, it's a fantastic case ! ;)

Dave_G

Post by Dave_G » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:43 am

Thanks for the advice everyone :D .

I have used the SFF damping kit before and it made some difference, mainly to the tone of the noise; easier to live with. Think I'll treat myself and fit the damping first this time, doubled up on the original damping.

Thanks again,

Dave G.