Lian Li PC-B25B vs Antec P182

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

rift400

Lian Li PC-B25B vs Antec P182

Post by rift400 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:26 am

Hi
I'm planning a relatively quiet system and this is what I've come up with -
CPU - Intel E6750
MoBo - P5K Deluxe/WiFi
RAM - DDR2 RAM 2gb Kit PC6400 800MHz GeiL Ultra 4-4-4-12
HDD - Samsung HD160JJ 160Gb/8Mb/7200
DVD - Asus 1814 BLT
Graphics - Gigabyte 8600 Silent Pipe
Case - Lian-Li PC-B25B
PSU - Corsair VX450W

At the moment I'm fairly new to the quiet PC game so I'd prefer to keep the tinkering with components to a minimum until I learn a bit more. How does this system stack up? Also, I have to admit that the fancy glowing blue circle is what sold me on the lian-li case but more realistically, how does it compare to say an Antec P182? Anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers

fri2219

Which is more plaid? Spain or Albatross?

Post by fri2219 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:38 pm

This has all been said much better by others, but here goes...

Thumbs up for the 182:
The Antec will be much quieter out of the box, period. Any comparable Lian-Li product will need quite a bit more effort to get it close to the Antec case in terms of acoustics.

Thumbs up for the B25:
It's been my experience that the Lian Li will probably last much longer, since you don't have contend with (as many) plastic parts that break off with oxidation over time. I would also guess that the motherboard and hard drive mounting would be much easier than the Antec, although some reviewers have inexplicably had problems figuring out the Lian-Li bolt and grommet scheme, despite a clearly illustrated diagram. (Not all hardware enthusiast sites have the same level of reviewer competence as spcr.) If you move your case around at all, you'll appreciate the much lighter weight of the Lian-Li.

No clear winner in my opinion:
They're both similar in terms of external connectors and internal space. While Antec cases usually trump Lian-Li cases on cable management and other factors that contribute to their much better airflow, it's probably a draw with the B25.

You'll have to prioritize what's important to you- weight, cost, noise, durability, aesthetics, etc.., and make your own decision. There really is no one right answer.

jamesavery22

Post by jamesavery22 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:28 am

I've been looking to upgrade my old PC-60 for sometime now. I have yet to find a case that fits all my needs. I've been contemplating just hacking the crap out of my old case or buying a new one. I don't have much real drive to do this. Just bored :)
I saw the B25 on Lian Li's page and it definitely peaked my interest. If I hacked up my old 60 I would have made a config very similar.

As others have already mentioned I too am curious about its cooling ability. With the door closed and that fine mesh grill it sure looks pretty restrictive. From the one crappy review and just eyeballing it I'm guessing the P182 has better cooling(3x120s vs. 5x120s).

In terms of availability & price p182 wins hands down. #1 its available. #2 its available :) ~$110 vs. "maybe" $220.

I've been holding off on a P182 for a long time. My main reason is that its huge. I have one 5.25" drive & 3 HDs. I don't need any more space. I want a case thats equal to or smaller than a pc60(standard mid-tower) and quieter and cooler. So yes I am asking too much :)
The B25 would be quieter & cooler but not smaller. Plus it would be a decent amount of change.

Titus

Post by Titus » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:33 pm

jamesavery22 wrote:I've been holding off on a P182 for a long time. My main reason is that its huge. I have one 5.25" drive & 3 HDs. I don't need any more space. I want a case thats equal to or smaller than a pc60(standard mid-tower) and quieter and cooler.
Actually, that's basically what I was looking for when I was shopping for a case about a year ago. I finally settled on the Lian-Li PC-A05B in March, so the purchase involved several months of research. There's a forum review at 3DGameMan (WARNING: ~7MB of pictures) (http://www.3dgameman.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47882) and apparently he modded it recently as well.

You may want to look into it. It's the easiest case to silence I've done yet.

jamesavery22

Post by jamesavery22 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:53 pm

I do like the completely unconventional design of the A05 :) it being so small is a big attraction. The only turn-off I had was that I questioned its cooling ability. That mod he did for the top two 120 exhausts(simple & easy solution) makes me think my worries were unwarranted.

Thanks for linking that, I'm taking a serious second look at that case now.

Titus

Post by Titus » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:24 pm

Cool beans. I'm considering a mod for mine (either a sidepanel or top fan). Cooling is surprisingly good at stock, but adding more fans is good. 2 fans with cfm matching a single fan are more quiet, right (all other things equal)? I see that the antec 900's top 200mm fan is available for purchase separately. I wonder how it would compare to top-end 120mm fans...

jamesavery22

Post by jamesavery22 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:30 pm

Titus wrote:Cool beans. I'm considering a mod for mine (either a sidepanel or top fan). Cooling is surprisingly good at stock, but adding more fans is good. 2 fans with cfm matching a single fan are more quiet, right (all other things equal)? I see that the antec 900's top 200mm fan is available for purchase separately. I wonder how it would compare to top-end 120mm fans...
Nice price too:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811112129
$90 + shipping

Eh I never got my brain wrapped around how to calculate db's... All I know is yate loons at 5v are damn quiet :D

Titus

Post by Titus » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:34 pm

Yeah, I bought it for 110 and two months later newegg had a special on it for 60... 'Tis my only regret... (of course having it for those two months may outweigh the price)

EDIT: I actually thought that this was the same discussion as a different one I've been posting in for a sec. You may want to check it out here. Of course, I would choose my case over the P150 any day because of the insanely nice form factor. There is also a lot to be said for that case, I just prefer mine enough that the extra money it cost is well worth it.