Antec sez "Me too" to big fan on left side panel

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Felger Carbon

Antec sez "Me too" to big fan on left side panel

Post by Felger Carbon » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:22 am

New version of P190 announced. Big fan on left side panel, room for two 140mm fans on top rear. Remember, Petra has YL D14SL-12 fans available and in stock. :D

Gee, Antec finally builds a case like what I've been using for what, a year now? :D

AntecRep
-- Vendor --

We too!

Post by AntecRep » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:05 pm

Putting the Big Boy fan on the side wasn't needed until people really started wanting to build the 'V8'. :shock:

The NINE HUNDRED had the 200mm Big Boy on top with three 120mm fans around the case, and that was enough for any mortal system. Put in that Tyan ExtendedATX mobo with a pair of quad core Xeon CPUs and you've got yourself a Monster. :twisted:

Felger Carbon

Re: We too!

Post by Felger Carbon » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:45 pm

AntecRep wrote:Putting the Big Boy fan on the side wasn't needed until people really started wanting to build the 'V8'. :shock:
For SPCR purposes, a fan has two attributes: airflow and noise. As you say, a big fan is a great "win" when lotsa airflow is needed. That's dead on.

My #1 computer for several months now has been the smallest big-fan case I could find, which is a Tagan Aplus CS-188AF. I have undervolted the big fan as low as I safely can, and run it at ~330RPM (I've measured 328 and 33X at different times). The reason I use the big fan is that it's the quietest way I can find to cool my case. It really overcools my case, but then, I can't safely run it more slowly.

Some new fan developments are challenging my big fan's quietness: PWM fans, when C&Q is low, can be throttled down to a quieter level than my big fan. And the same can be said of mobo-controlled 3-pin PWM control using the new Slipstream fans. Technology marches on.

I wish Antec would publish details of its "200mm" (~170mm really) fan. You know, secret stuff like RPM and CFM. :wink:

AntecRep
-- Vendor --

That "SECRET" information

Post by AntecRep » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:38 am

It's on our website in a few places...

You can go to the BigBoy page at http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=75200 and click on the product flyer which will bring up the pdf that is available directly here: http://www.antec.com/pdf/flyers/BIgBoy_sellsheet.pdf

Or you can check out the pdf manual for the Nine Hundred case at http://www.antec.com/pdf/flyers/BIgBoy_sellsheet.pdf on page 7, which has it in a slightly more detailed table.

It's also in the manual for the case we're discussing here. You can get the P190 pdf manual at http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=81900#

You're quite right about PWM. It can control a fan to as low as 10% of its top speed vs. 40% with a traditional voltage controlled fan. PWM by itself doesn't make a fan quieter at a given RPM, but it allows it to run slower when more cooling isn't necessary.

I've used plenty of 4-pin PWM fans, but I wasn't aware of a 3-pin version.

Felger Carbon

Re: That "SECRET" information

Post by Felger Carbon » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:08 pm

AntecRep wrote:I've used plenty of 4-pin PWM fans, but I wasn't aware of a 3-pin version.
Some modern mobos, such as my Abit AN-M2s, allow PWM control (at ~25KHz) via a 3-pin mobo header by turning the +12V on and off. So the fan itself would not be considered a PWM fan in this situation. Sorry I was imprecise.

Thanx for the links to more info on the Big Boy fans.

edit: according to the "Big Boy" flyer, the noise level at 400RPM is only 6dBA lower than at 800RPM. This is extremely unusual. Virtually all ~120mm or larger computer fans show an 18dBA drop in noise level for a 2-1 drop in RPM, provided close-miking is used if necessary to stay above the noise level. The fact that the noise level drops proportionally (in the Big Boy flyer) at 600RPM shows that the noise level isn't the problem.

If those are really the noise levels at the RPMs indicated, why then that's what they are and Antec (in that event) is reporting the noise levels correctly. But again; this would be extremely unusual. I would even call it unique.