Need 5.25 inch bay cover - mesh

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Mankey

Need 5.25 inch bay cover - mesh

Post by Mankey » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:19 pm

I am looking for some bay covers to put in my top 2 bays of my p180. I unfortunately do not have 3 bays open, otherwise, I'd just stick in a Karma Bay.

The closest I've found is the Lian Li ones, but they only fit Lian Li cases.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6202/ ... tl=g43c241

Are there any alternatives?

Thanks

seraphyn

Post by seraphyn » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:32 pm

I know that they are made for Lian Li, but surely a 5,25 bay has standardized size + mounting options?.

GentleGiant
Friend of SPCR

Post by GentleGiant » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:14 pm

Looking carefully at the blown-up image on the FrozenCPU site, there are two small nubs on the side flange that seem to correspond to the two forward screw holes on an optical drive.

This baby ought to just snap into place in most any case. Very nice.

If that doesn't work, drill a quick hole through the metal of the drive mounting case and use a bolt or twist tie to hold it in place. Be inventive!

silence

Post by silence » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:27 pm

The CM Cosmos uses clip-on removable mesh drive bay covers which may fit on the P180 series cases. Since I have both cases, I will take one of my extra drive bay covers and see if it fits on the P180 tonight, then post here with the results. I have not seen a retailer offering these as accessories yet, but I`m sure you could obtain them from Cooler Master for a nominal fee. More information later...

-Dom

Mankey

Post by Mankey » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:22 am

silence wrote:The CM Cosmos uses clip-on removable mesh drive bay covers which may fit on the P180 series cases. Since I have both cases, I will take one of my extra drive bay covers and see if it fits on the P180 tonight, then post here with the results. I have not seen a retailer offering these as accessories yet, but I`m sure you could obtain them from Cooler Master for a nominal fee. More information later...

-Dom
Thank you for checking! Please let me know once you have an update.

kittle
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by kittle » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:44 am

Anyone know if you can get these things for a non-p180 case?

Basicly, something to replace the standard beige 5.25 bay plastic snap in covers that come with almost every case in existance.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:43 pm

If it's mesh you want, you can use old speaker covers, or maybe something nice from your local hardware store. AC Ryan makes modding mesh for PCs that is easy to bend into any shape you want.

Mesh 5.25" bay covers are easy to make, just have to find the raw material.

PopCorn

Post by PopCorn » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:24 pm

well if you don't mind the looks a very simple and cheap way u can do it is take an existing 5.25 cover use a razor and cut out the middle then simply take some screen or any mesh and glue it to the inside of the cover,, ans viola a functional mesh cover, that is if u don't mind the looks

silence

Post by silence » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:28 am

The mesh drive cover plates from the CM Cosmos fit the P180 pretty well from what you can see below, and they look the part as well. Because the bezel depth is greater on the P180, the covers don't snap in like the do on the Cosmos, but the friction fit is more than enough to hold them in. As you can see, the dimensions are not an issue as three of them will fit with one of the Antec drive covers.

Hope this helps,

-Dom

yamahaSHO

Post by yamahaSHO » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:26 pm

What I did was take a 5.25" to 3.5" conversion bay and install my own filter. I like it, but the other option looks nice as well.

Since the picture was taken, I have sealed off the gap between the top drive and this filtered opening.

Mankey

Post by Mankey » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:17 pm

That looks absolutely fantastic. I will try and procure some of those. I really appreciate the help.
silence wrote:The mesh drive cover plates from the CM Cosmos fit the P180 pretty well from what you can see below, and they look the part as well. Because the bezel depth is greater on the P180, the covers don't snap in like the do on the Cosmos, but the friction fit is more than enough to hold them in. As you can see, the dimensions are not an issue as three of them will fit with one of the Antec drive covers.

Hope this helps,

-Dom

lor77

Post by lor77 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:12 pm

Greetings to everyone.
Here is what i did for the middle and lower fronts of my P180.
I just used the Ac Ryan MeshxPanel. http://www.acryan.com/_meshx/ACR-XP0748.shtml
It comes also in hexagonal pattern which will allow more air to pass through it.http://www.acryan.com/_alupanel/ACR-XP00618.shtml
Sorry for my scrappy mobile pictures.

A bit of imagination and some dremmeling will do the job.
I also wonder where can i get this Cosmos mesh drive cover plates?