Maximum Ducting.. Sparkle Project. Phase two.

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:54 am

I hope all of this testing is of some interest here. It certainly is to me, because I really never saw another setup quite like this one, and I'm interested in now slight changes, affect the thing.

Before I start on the new project, I thought I'd exhaust all my mod ideas. So...here's the next. I moved the 80x15mm fan from the underside of the Ninja to the top. It's now mounted to the louver panel, not the Ninja. There's about 1/8" clearance between the fan and the Ninja. This makes the configuration a push-pull airflow, and removes the little fan from the duct completely, but still drawing all it's intake through the Ninja.

A few benefits here....the PSU now runs measurably cooler. I removed some weight from the heatsink, and the fan is much easier to remove and install. Temperatures.....not much change, and too close to call. At an idle the PSU fan does turn on, but at it's slowest speed......about 400 rpms, and impossible to hear. The stock fan that comes in the Sparkle would never start-up this slow. The Sunon in there right now will start and run as slow as 200rpm (hard to believe I know). Anyway....do you need a little fan on top? Depends.....

Donovan

Post by Donovan » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:00 am

There's definitely interest from me! Even before I ever signed up here, I would always look for your posts, if not for ideas to use at home, just for inspiration.

With regard to this project, I like it alot. I'm currently toying with putting together a mATX computer for the kids, and would like it to be silent and cool, and your ideas look like I could easily accomplish both of those 'likes' of mine.

Keep up the good work! :D

seraphyn

Post by seraphyn » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:15 pm

Bluefront wrote:I hope all of this testing is of some interest here.
Oh there is, just don't have much to contribute. Love reading these posts.

psiu

Post by psiu » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:04 pm

seraphyn wrote:
Oh there is, just don't have much to contribute. Love reading these posts.
Same here. :D

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:29 pm

Well thanks......at the very least I hope I give some of you the incentive to try new ideas. This forum is filled with setups that no doubt work quietly, but all look alike. Mine are usually different.

Here's one idea I tried today that didn't work well....My Noctua mistake. Should have worked out, but it's one of those things you've got to try yourself. The funny thing.....the reviews all sound good. I guess they never tested the Noctua against restriction. I did....

sanse

Post by sanse » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:07 am

Bluefront wrote:Well thanks......at the very least I hope I give some of you the incentive to try new ideas. This forum is filled with setups that no doubt work quietly, but all look alike. Mine are usually different.
i find your experiments very interesting. not everyone has the time or skills though to do them. i wonder, why there are no commercially available cases with vertical ducted ventilation. i can only think of a nexus as an approach to this concept, but that one blows the air out through the psu. not directly out of the case. it also does not contain a duct.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:16 pm

sanse.....I don't consider my modding skills to be anything more than average. I have a lot of tools, but most have no place in computer modification. My wood-working tools are old/limited. I don't do any welding on computers....and my painting skills are pathetic.

But....I'm not afraid to experiment, and I have a good imagination. Plus my working career involved all sorts of work on cars and motor-cycles. I think most people could pull off most of the modding projects I post about. You've got to start the project, however. :)

sanse

Post by sanse » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:24 am

Bluefront wrote:sanse.....I don't consider my modding skills to be anything more than average. I have a lot of tools, but most have no place in computer modification. My wood-working tools are old/limited. I don't do any welding on computers....and my painting skills are pathetic.
ok. :)

as soon as the weather overhere is good enough to make nice sharp well-illuminated pictures of my rig i will post them in the gallery.

QuaiBoy

Post by QuaiBoy » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:05 pm

Bluefront wrote:I hope all of this testing is of some interest here. It certainly is to me, because I really never saw another setup quite like this one, and I'm interested in now slight changes, affect the thing.
I don't have much to add in the way of experience, but I would like to say that I have found this a very interesting read. There are elements of this article that I will be considering when I delve into my next HTPC project. This will involve a HTPC case as a front end in the equipment rack and a tower behind my entertainment center doing the heavy lifting. I definately plan on ducting experimentation on the tower, possible incorporating a chimney-like conduit to include my DLP television as well. I have a lot of ideas that I'm constantly going over in my mind and can't wait to start it. As you touched upon, it's about making the time... which is especially hard with a young family. ;-)

At least my wife enjoys my efforts. I'm very lucky like that.

Thanks for the interesting read.

-Evan

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:46 am

That time thing.....I know exactly what you mean. I'm mostly retired now, so I have plenty of extra time for computer projects. I wish I had found a hobby when I was younger, one that kept me out of the bars, and that was more meaningful than chasing women.

Married w/kids puts a damper on everything..... :(

LBadvance

Post by LBadvance » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:32 am

Always loved your thinking outside of the box ideas, Bluefront.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:09 am

Thanks.....the next implementation of this "maximum ducting" is in it's beginning stages. It's slightly bigger, which means the duct can be slightly bigger, with maybe better airflow. I'm going to try a few different techniques from previous successful projects. But the airflow in this next setup will be very similar to this Sparkle project (on the left in the picture).

Avalanche

Post by Avalanche » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:15 am

Count me in as an interested observer. I'm collecting ideas for making a silent fileserver/conversation piece. :P

I'll have to do a lot of planning, since I don't have the parts reserve you do.