Can I do better?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Tullphan

Can I do better?

Post by Tullphan » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:55 am

I purchased a CM RC690 for ~$30 AR. I like the wire management & tool-free design, tho I think it leaves a little to be desired as far as being quiet.
I'm using a Sunbeam rheostat to control the fans, so that helps some.
My current setup consists of an Abit IP35-E, E6300 @ 2.45, 7900GT, 2 GB ram, Hitachi 250GB (OS), Maxtor 320GB (Storage), 2 DVD burners, the rheostat & a SB Audigy Platinum w/front panel control all powered by a Corsair 520HX.
I'm not going to overclock the snot of this cpu (or any other I use on this particular mb), but I will some.
My current temps are 24c for my MB, 36c for the CPU, 45c for the GPU, 30c for the Hitachi & 33c for the Maxtor (at the time of this post, the Maxtor was being formatted, so I assume the higher temps are due to that. All these temps were taken at the time of this post.). I assume these are decent temps, but I dunno.
Considering the front panel control for the Audigy & the rheostat, I assume that a case w/a front door is out of the question.
I doubt i'll ever have more than 2 HDD's nor more than 2 optical drives. Depending on the case, I may not need my rheostat. I'm currently converting alot of cassettes to mp3s, hence the SB Audigy.
Recommendations for a quiet, cool case for this particular setup?
Thanks in advance.

johnniecache7

Post by johnniecache7 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:36 am

Your going pretty much going get the same answer for everyone. The Antec Solo or Antec P182 SE. I think personal the Antec Solo would meet your needs best.

disphenoidal

Post by disphenoidal » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:58 pm

The Antec offerings are indeed favored around here, but it is by no means impossible to build a quiet PC in another case. Your temperatures are very low, but they are not load temperatures, which I think are more important. However, I would assume that your load temperatures would also be very acceptable. Therefore, reducing your fan speeds seems like the best way to further quiet your PC.

Many people, especially those who don't spend far too much time here 8) , think that the case is the most important part of a quiet PC. In fact, a good case will provide good paths for airflow, and vibration damping, but not much more. Adjusting components and fan speeds is where all the gains are made.

Tullphan

Post by Tullphan » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:38 am

disphenoidal wrote:The Antec offerings are indeed favored around here, but it is by no means impossible to build a quiet PC in another case. Your temperatures are very low, but they are not load temperatures, which I think are more important. However, I would assume that your load temperatures would also be very acceptable. Therefore, reducing your fan speeds seems like the best way to further quiet your PC.

Many people, especially those who don't spend far too much time here 8) , think that the case is the most important part of a quiet PC. In fact, a good case will provide good paths for airflow, and vibration damping, but not much more. Adjusting components and fan speeds is where all the gains are made.
That's very true. A case does not a quiet system make...at least not totally.
I like the P182's "chambers". I like the tool-free design & cable management of my RC690. I like the looks of the Stacker 832 that's on sale right now. I don't want a case w/a door if my Audigy front panel controller is going to block it.
There's never one that'll suit everyone 100%, I don't think, is there? :)

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:00 am

Hello,

The cable management on the Solo is very nice, too. :wink:

disphenoidal

Post by disphenoidal » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:36 am

I agree, I personally don't like doors that much. I think the appearance of the P180 is pretty good, but I don't care for the other antec offerings. I also like the chambers on the P180, and some of the built in hard drive vibration damping. Always compromises.

Luminair

Post by Luminair » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:37 pm

Tullphan wrote: I like the P182's "chambers". I like the tool-free design & cable management of my RC690. I like the looks of the Stacker 832 that's on sale right now. I don't want a case w/a door if my Audigy front panel controller is going to block it.
There's never one that'll suit everyone 100%, I don't think, is there? :)
Even if nothing is perfect, you can still get close. The Solo is probably the best smaller quiet case. The P182 is probably the best bigger quiet case.

They have headphone and mic jacks on the front if those are all you are using on the audigy front panel.

In the long run I'd think you wouldn't miss the better tool-less features or the ricer looks.