Best case ever Gigabyte 3D Aurora? Not many agree!

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Sizzle
Patron of SPCR

Post by Sizzle » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:45 pm

I think the Aurora is ugly myself. I like the Antec 900, reminds me of the Tumbler from Batman Begins.

The P180 is kind of blah now. Though it is a home run of a case on the inside. I do like the chrome one still though.

I think the crowd here tends to be older (myself included) and favors a more practical less flashy outside design for the most part. Function and ease of silence are the top factors in a case.

williamn6133

Post by williamn6133 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:53 pm

Sizzle wrote:I think the crowd here tends to be older (myself included) and favors a more practical less flashy outside design for the most part. Function and ease of silence are the top factors in a case.
I am 21 but unusually mature... hence I tend to stay in places where the average age is higher.

If I can be young and wise why can't you older folk be old and hip? 8)

Rhetorical question, please don't answer I don't want to hear immature backlash. :roll: ;)

Sizzle
Patron of SPCR

Post by Sizzle » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:20 pm

williamn6133 wrote:
Sizzle wrote:I think the crowd here tends to be older (myself included) and favors a more practical less flashy outside design for the most part. Function and ease of silence are the top factors in a case.
I am 21 but unusually mature... hence I tend to stay in places where the average age is higher.

If I can be young and wise why can't you older folk be old and hip? 8)

Rhetorical question, please don't answer I don't want to hear immature backlash. :roll: ;)
Hey, I'm using a Coolermaster Stacker 690, most here probably would not like it. I had a 830 before, definetly not a spcr type case, though I was able to run it very silent.

williamn6133

Post by williamn6133 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:33 pm

Sizzle wrote:Hey, I'm using a Coolermaster Stacker 690, most here probably would not like it. I had a 830 before, definetly not a spcr type case, though I was able to run it very silent.
Any case can be run quiet if you put silent parts in it. Honestly the idea that an aluminium case is loud is folly.

I have my solo case OPEN right now and the power supply ON TOP of the case, with the PSU fan pointing straight at me!!... please tell me why I can't hear a thing from it? Oh, it my must be the invisible heavy-steel sound deadening panels between me and those fans. :shock:

Or maybe it's because my silence strategy consists of not having noisy components in the first place. Well I never...

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:26 pm

Hello William,

It could also be that your room has a louder background than you think? We have all used very similar components, and yes they are required for a quiet machine, but so is a well designed and well constructed case.

williamn6133

Post by williamn6133 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:34 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:We have all used very similar components, and yes they are required for a quiet machine, but so is a well designed and well constructed case.
Hi Neil

Well I dispute that our components are very similar. The difference between a "silent" fan and a "silent" fan can be HUGE!

Case in point -
25dB "ultra quiet" AcoustiFan
8dB Noctua

My point is: investing in the best fans and putting thought into your case airflow, matter more than the actual material your case is made from.

zorrt

Post by zorrt » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:01 am

Sizzle wrote:I think the Aurora is ugly myself. I like the Antec 900, reminds me of the Tumbler from Batman Begins.

The P180 is kind of blah now. Though it is a home run of a case on the inside. I do like the chrome one still though.

I think the crowd here tends to be older (myself included) and favors a more practical less flashy outside design for the most part. Function and ease of silence are the top factors in a case.
Can't believe you said the P180 is bland...I've had mine since it was released and I still love the looks of it :]

Anyways, I'm one to agree Aurora isnt a pretty case. Reminds me of a Sonata...but pregnant...dunno why though.

williamn6133

Post by williamn6133 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:12 am

zorrt wrote:Can't believe you said the P180 is bland.
:shock: I am still reeling in the shock I have just had from reading this statement. The P180 is more bland than the surface of the moon. More bland than 1200miles of painted white wall. More bland than having to live on nothing but water your whole life. A huge expanse of sheet metal. The whole damn thing looks like a fridge!

You think it's not bland? Then I want to know what planet you come from!

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:04 am

The difference between a "silent" fan and a "silent" fan can be HUGE!

Case in point -
8dB Noctua
you do realise that it is not possible to measure 8dB in the real world, right? that 8dB figure is made up, even Noctua themselves admit it (asterisk followed by this figure is extrapolated). also the Acoustifan range has not been recommended for years and years.

williamn6133

Post by williamn6133 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:10 am

jaganath wrote:you do realise that it is not possible to measure 8dB in the real world, right? that 8dB figure is made up, even Noctua themselves admit it (asterisk followed by this figure is extrapolated). also the Acoustifan range has not been recommended for years and years.
If you want someone to argue with I am afraid you are looking at the wrong person.

I made my point and it still stands.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:40 am

I made my point and it still stands.
your point was erroneous; the difference between the Acoustifan and the Noctua is probably only 7 or 8dB, not the 17dB which the "official" figures suggest. I'm going to go out on a limb and say nothing with moving parts can produce only 8dB.

williamn6133

Post by williamn6133 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:25 am

jaganath wrote:your point was erroneous; the difference between the Acoustifan and the Noctua is probably only 7 or 8dB, not the 17dB which the "official" figures suggest. I'm going to go out on a limb and say nothing with moving parts can produce only 8dB.
It's funny, you remind me of my sister before she grew up. She used to eat pages out of my picture books age 3 and a half. I found it terribly annoying. Then when she was 4, she bit me. Of course I've always looked down upon her though. But she still loves me. Now where was I... oh yeah. Fans. If you want fans you should go to a football game. Just kidding. But seriously, it can be helpful for people to relax a little. That way you can focus fully on the matter in hand. Whatever it might be. Like silencing your PC. Which reminds me. I don't like you very much.

seraphyn

Post by seraphyn » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:29 am

williamn6133 wrote:Case in point -
8dB Noctua

My point is: investing in the best fans and putting thought into your case airflow, matter more than the actual material your case is made from.
If you believe the numbers that companies give you to be accurate without a doubt, you'd be fooling yourself. Their test setup will always differ from reality and your own personal setup.
An 8dB fan does not exist, but you can of course claim a fan to be 8dB and put in measured from 100 yards away in very tiny letters somewhere on the packaging.

And because someone disagreed with you, you make some comment about him being immature like your little sister? Heh, grow up.

On the point about a case being a lower priority then silent components: Depends heavily on the case. A shoddy assembled case made out of poor materials will be noisy, no matter what you put in it. Though most cases these days seem decent enough, there are still pretty bad ones out there.
Silent components in a designed for silent use case will always be better then just silent components in a random case.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:25 am

Hello William,

You're preaching to the choir -- we have all searched for the quietest fans (that are still effective). And no one who has been around SPCR much knows that all specs are probably erroneous -- especially noise ratings.

You must use quiet components to get to a quiet computer, sure -- that's obvious. But if you use a crappy case, then temps will not be very good, and if you use no case at all (as in a totally open case, or your example), then it will be louder than if it is installed in a good, sturdy case with (near) ideal air flow. So, the case is very important, too.

I find your response to Jaganath to be far too prickly, and far too personal. I'm pretty sure that he was making a valid point, and you should consider yourself "eldered".

Luminair

Post by Luminair » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:29 am

williamn6133 wrote:
jaganath wrote:your point was erroneous; the difference between the Acoustifan and the Noctua is probably only 7 or 8dB, not the 17dB which the "official" figures suggest. I'm going to go out on a limb and say nothing with moving parts can produce only 8dB.
It's funny, you remind me of my sister before she grew up. She used to eat pages out of my picture books age 3 and a half. I found it terribly annoying. Then when she was 4, she bit me. Of course I've always looked down upon her though. But she still loves me.
you are on the wrong forum

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:06 pm

nothing with moving parts can produce only 8dB.
on second thoughts, maybe a really good Swiss watch or one of those executive desk toys (the orbital one, not Newton's cradle) might sneak under 8dB. anyway, i think everyone has touched on the points I was going to make (viz. cases being important and not to put too much faith in specs) so...

ps. not sure what to make of the stuff about your sister, hopefully she doesn't eat paper anymore? :wink:

GuyClinch

Post by GuyClinch » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:36 pm

Meh.

It's hardly the best Aluminum case. Your in the wrong forum first of all - I suggest HARDOCP forums if your interested in arguing about that case. Again almost no one will agree it's the best.

I think Lian-Li and Silverstone certainly make some better aluminum cases. Read around the TJ-10 and the several Lian Li's like the A1200b get great reviews as well.

I think Aluminum cases certainly are louder without some work to quiet them down. Most of them your going to need to get Dynamat on the inside to dampen vibrations.. So your total cost is going to just kill say a stock P182.

I think the P182 is ugly but the cooling setup is still very nice even compared to the best Aluminum PC cases. Some of the uber cheap cases are giving it a run for it's money though like the CM690. That case is a killer bargain albiet a bit noisier then the Antecs.

I couldn't buy that case though because it's just incredibly ugly.. If your going to go for the bling of an Aluminum case get something pretty.

In short - you want cheap, ugly, quiet, and easy to build - get an Antec.
You want something that looks at home in your living room - that looks classy and expensive get a Lian Li or a Silverstone or perhaps a MacPro (I hear Lian Li actually makes those cases)..

Pete