Thermaltake SwordM.....design dept. let loose.

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Thermaltake SwordM.....design dept. let loose.

Post by Bluefront » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:31 am

"So guys.....I want you to build a case with all your most unusual ideas built-in. This is a computer case for sure, but like nothing that has been seen before. Cost? Whatever..." Link

I post this link to illustrate a few points.....you certainly can build a monster/unusual/ expensive case, but it would be nice and you might sell a few if it is at least slightly practical. Read the review and you can see what I mean. A rear door that probably could never be closed with normal pieces installed for starters.....

walle

Post by walle » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:25 am

Its Thermaljunk we’re talking about here Bluefront, not much more to say really.
You are definitely making quite an investment in your system with this case
Right, well; the reviewer must have been on the herbal pipe calling this an investment. :roll:

sheninat0r

Post by sheninat0r » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:27 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:52 pm

The guy sort-of made a mistake with the word "investment". I think an investment should have at least a chance of increasing in value. Obviously computer cases will always go down in value.

But I at least like to see some of the TT ideas in projects like this. The main problem with their cases.....cheaply made and flimsy. You wouldn't even want to attempt modding one. But the ideas are there to see, or imitate perhaps.

The funny thing about this case....it only holds three drives. Anybody who might be temped to buy the thing probably really needs at least six drives.... :lol:

Shaman
Friend of SPCR

Post by Shaman » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:03 pm

Well, it has a huge vent at the bottom and half the PSU sticks out of the case. I wonder where have I seen that before....

LBadvance

Post by LBadvance » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:36 pm

appleases the boyracer crowds

"I got hydralics in my pc, yo"

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:51 pm

Y'all are missing some of the good (IMHO) features of this case....like a hinged top. Just think how easy a PSU replacement could be, not to mention cable management.

Then there's the use of extruded aluminum in several places.....no vibration, with the ability to actually remove some heat.....not here though.

And the double hinged left side.....which makes the doors shorter and easier to open. Forget the hydralics...that's eye dressing. There are other things rarely seen....that might prove useful.

Asulc

Post by Asulc » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:25 pm

I do not like the looks of the case, and think that it is way too expensive for all but the most extreme computer setups. However, it is possible to mod the case.
http://www.themodnation-forums.com/view ... sc&start=0

TENAX

Post by TENAX » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:39 am

damn, that's ugly..a case that shouldn't be seen..or heard:)

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:55 am

Here's a larger picture:
(click on image for link to review)
:shock:

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:08 pm

A $450 case using cheap plastic wheels. :x TT offers a ton of different cases, with all sorts of unusual things. If you take the time and look closely, you might be able find something to use in/on your next case. Since I'm into DIY, looking at unusual setups, is helpful.

There are way too many cases that look exactly the same, with only minor differences. The folks here at SPCR seen to demand conformity..... like Antec, a company that makes nice cases, and reminds me of a Model "T". "You can have any color as long as it's black".

There's more than one path through the woods.... :lol:

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:12 pm

There are way too many cases that look exactly the same, with only minor differences.
seeing as almost all cases have to comply with the ATX case standard, isn't this inevitable?

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:28 pm

Up to a point yes.....but there still exists a definite need for innovation. These case makers still need to sell cases to stay in business. The OEM business probably keeps them going, but their going could be better if they offered more than bling.....which is mostly what you see.

I for sure don't search out or buy cases that look like a skull....but there certainly could be good-looking new cases with new ideas. I'm not seeing too many. :( Hell the new Gateway case line looks better than most of the cases you can buy.....

TENAX

Post by TENAX » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:33 pm

i'd buy a case in the shape of a ufo before i bought that thermaltake:) surprised someone hasn't done that already..unless i missed it

TENAX

Post by TENAX » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:36 pm

actually there is this:

http://www.techpowerup.com/printreview. ... unbeam/UFO

and yes, i'd buy it before the thermaltake case:)

kojack

Post by kojack » Thu May 22, 2008 5:02 am

Hi,

I own a thermaltake tsunami case with no window, I use the stock 120 mm fans, and a thermaltake silent boost. I use thermaltake because its readily available at my local store. However, in the past couple of years thermaltake has made some good products. I have a very quiet machine I dont hear my cpu fan, barely hear the 120s, the only thing thats audible is the vga cooler which is getting a thermaltake cooler. Its good gear for the price...

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Thu May 22, 2008 5:24 am

If I get the chance to actually examine a new case, one of the first things I do is give it the knuckle test.....give the side panel a sharp rap. A good/tight case will return a "klunk". A cheap/flimsy case will return a rattly "Klang".

Try the knuckle test with most Thermaltake cases and in addition to a "klang", you also get a big dent. :lol:

kojack

Post by kojack » Thu May 22, 2008 5:33 am

I agree they are not "the best" cases. however, they ar better than all the cheap crap ones. for someone who dont want to spend a couple of hundred on a case they are well built for that. but my brothers xaser III will pass your knucle test with ease....its SOLID!. mine, probably would have a little mark but im not sure. its built pretty good. the features like removable drive cage and things like that are great too...somehting the cheapies dont have....

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Thu May 22, 2008 7:43 am

TT's sword's appearance is such, that I... as I Finn would easily drag that into Sauna, put it on corner and after while would throw some water on it as it really, really looks like a sauna heater... First time I saw Neil's picture about Sword, I was thinking "WTH, a Sauna heater in SPCR!?" Then I looked more and read it was TT's sword case...

*looks bit more the case* Yes, definately, Now I like to get good birch vihta and cold bottle of beer... Yes... I am definately in mood for Sauna ^^

I wonder if you can Mod Sword into Sauna heater. Add some good heatsource to warm up rocks... like pair of 2900 XT's... J/K. But honestly, that looks bit like our sauna heater... Except I think in design our Sauna heater will win Sword...

Plekto

Post by Plekto » Thu May 22, 2008 11:24 am

"target practice" was literally the first thing that went through my mind...

Too ugly to live.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Thu May 22, 2008 12:48 pm

Plekto wrote:"target practice" was literally the first thing that went through my mind...

Too ugly to live.
Some Live practising with Browning M2 HB? ( When you go, go with the meanest and biggest one ^^ )

But like they say, beauty is in the eyes of an beer holder

JaYp146

Post by JaYp146 » Fri May 23, 2008 9:53 am

Thermaltrash is at it yet again with another "innovative" design.

Aris

Post by Aris » Fri May 23, 2008 10:41 am

Bluefront wrote:Y'all are missing some of the good (IMHO) features of this case....like a hinged top. Just think how easy a PSU replacement could be, not to mention cable management.
Whats wrong with just sliding the top off like on the NSK3480 case? I really dont see how having a hinged top is going to make it any easier. Just make it cost more.

I'd also like to point out, this is THERMALJUNK!
I expected more from you Bluefront. -10points for posting anything that advertises TT, and another -10points for trying to argue its innovative or that it has good features.

I see nothing in this case i would want a quality builder like Antec to copy.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Fri May 23, 2008 12:54 pm

Heh.... Of the three Antec cases in the basement computer junk-pile, the tops come off none, nor do the right side panels.

No sense arguing....I'm not buying a Thermaltake case, or an Antec case either. The Thermaltake cases are too flimsy, or too expensive, or way too flashy. The Antec cases....blah.

There are cases that fall between the two extremes, but don't know if anybody's building them yet. :lol:

kojack

Post by kojack » Sat May 24, 2008 6:31 am

antec, quality? hmmmm, imo they are no better than my tsunami. The 180 that I was going to buy has a crappy flimsy door, and the rest of it is flimsy as well. yes, some of the thermaltake stuff is gaudy. but some is very well built. I know my case is. nice, quiet, solid.

Jipa

Post by Jipa » Mon May 26, 2008 7:23 am

It's hideous and why in the world would I want to pay for a couple of pneumatic(?) rams in a case? The side panel that opens in two parts might be fancy, but didn't Zalman already try that one?

For $450 there are just SOOOO many cases I'd rather have.

EsaT

Post by EsaT » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:43 am

Thermaljunk seems to be at it again...
http://www.futurelooks.com/computex-200 ... ng-system/

I wonder have they ever managed to mistakenly make case whose aim has been functionality, not bling.

ijozic

Post by ijozic » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:01 am

EsaT wrote:I wonder have they ever managed to mistakenly make case whose aim has been functionality, not bling.
Thermaltake Matrix?