Packard Bell iMax D3413

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Cov

Packard Bell iMax D3413

Post by Cov » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:51 pm

Hello ... I have been to PC World today and have fallen in love with a particular PC case, the Packard Bell iMax D3413.

Well, this one comes only as a complete system, but I'm not interested in this PC but only in the mATX PC case.
It looks awesome but I'm afraid I won't be able to purchase the case only ... :(

If anyone has any idea ... please let me know. Any help is so much appreciated ... :wink:

I really really like it ... what could I do ??

Cov

Post by Cov » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:09 pm

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:26 pm

i'm sure if you wait a couple months you'll be able to find it on ebay or something. if you can buy aftermarket Apple G5/Mac Pro cases, i'm sure you'll be able to find that.

i have to admit though, it looks pretty sweet, i just dont like the rear setup...wouldn't work well if you had an AGP slot or a PCI-e slot on that mobo and you wanted to use it. it would take a picky hardware choice, but come out great.

also, from what i can see, that keyboard is pretty nice too.

Shaman
Friend of SPCR

Post by Shaman » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:14 pm

It only has 3 pci slots, so maybe standard mATX motherboards don't fit in it?

Cov

Post by Cov » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:28 am

Thank you :wink: and yes, it's a standard Micro ATX PC ... it's really pretty smart.
I lifted it up and although quite heavy for its size, but a sweat little chicken this PC ... even nicer seeing it live than only via these pictures.
It has metal panels (don't know if it's alu) on both sides ... it looks smooth and lean.

Shaman
Friend of SPCR

Post by Shaman » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:08 am

Did you open the case to see if there was a standard mATX board inside? That's the only way to be sure really. If it does fit mATX boards you'll be limited to VERY low cpu heatsinks. :(

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:20 am

Hello,

It looks like a standard ATX PSU, with a 120mm fan inside? They may be using the PSU fan to cool the CPU -- there would not appear to be room for anything else?

Cov

Post by Cov » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:12 am

Hahaha .... I think if I would have got out my screw driver and start opening up the PC they would have called the people with the white jackets.

I'm brave ... but no that brave, hehe.
I could tell them that I'm from the PC world emergency IT team who looks for explosives hidden in PC cases. Or I could tell them that I've been called to repair this "broken" pc.

Yeah of course the CPU cooling is pretty much limited in this PC case.
Probably you're right that the PSU fan has to take care of the air flow ... well, that'd be quite weak.

RedAE102
Friend of SPCR

Post by RedAE102 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:09 pm

The subject line on this thread caught my eye. I haven't seen a Packard Bell brand computer in years. I think it was around 2000 or so when they abandoned the US market... Makes me think back to my old Packard Bell, circa '97... 133MHz Pentium, 32MB RAM, 1.5GB HDD... Those were the days.

Now that I've taken that trip down memory lane, back to the present. That is a rather nice looking case. It's well-trimmed without being fussy, and still looks elegantly simple. Like many other cases for retail systems I've seen, it doesn't seem particularly well set up for cool or quiet operation, though.